***HTC Magic Thread***

My phone keeps saying its on the Orange network. :(

The Guardian news app doesn't work. Set to download news at 5am every morning. Every morning I get the message that the connection (wireless) wasn't available. I keep telling my Magic that the router is about 1.5 metres away. :rolleyes:

I can't get Google Maps to update. It downloads fine but won't install. v3.2.1 I think. :(

No idea about the wireless, change wifi security settings?

The Google Maps app won't update as your internal build may be newer than the official or the official won't install without an official rom IIRC?

I didn't update mine as I have the hacked Navigation google maps apk so it's all new in terms of features, just not the latest 1.6 version off the market.

Oh yeah, wifi will also turn off when the phone goes to standby after a short period of time, you need to have it docked to keep wifi alive or turn off wifi sleep. This may be the solution in fact.

FWIW my maps version is 3.2.0 and Market says Maps v4.0 is out.

No idea about the wireless, change wifi security settings?
The wireless that I've downloaded 152.55MB on since I got the phone? And 10.21MB today. :p

The Google Maps app won't update as your internal build may be newer than the official or the official won't install without an official rom IIRC?
Mine says 3.1.2. :confused:

Oh yeah, wifi will also turn off when the phone goes to standby after a short period of time, you need to have it docked to keep wifi alive or turn off wifi sleep. This may be the solution in fact.
Ah noice. :p Have just set Wi-Fi sleep policy to off in the wireless settings. That sound right?

MarcLister this, typed into a terminal emulator, got the newer version of Maps installed for me.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15438497&postcount=2720
Cheers, might try that later. :)

How can you check to see if apps have successfully migrated to the SD card after partitioning the SD Card?

Have you formatted the sdcard to inclue an ext partition and running a recentCyanogenMod? If so then the apps will auto move to the sdcard. I just ahd a peek at my phone and can't see anything obviously telling me they are deffo there. I just trust that they are.

Have any CoPilot users suddenly run into a problem of the voices not working when navigating? Not sure if it was the 1.6 update but I can follow the screens for instructions but the voices dont work. Have downloaded a couple of different voices and they all test fine in the settings????

Had an odd thing happen yesterday with my Magic. When I pressed the power button the screen came on but the phone wasn't locked. So I thought ill just reboot and see if that fixes it. It started to boot, got the ANDROID screen and then froze. I rebooted without SIM and memory card and the same happened. So I did a hard reset and that fixed it.

It turned out the no-unlock bit was caused by Bedtime so I will e-mail the author about that. As for the freeze I am unaware as to its cause. I have removed Bedtime just in case... so far the phone remains happy.

The next point I want to ask about is... what is the best backup software in case this happens again?!?! I'm willing to pay for it. I want it to save my SMS's, my settings (ring tone, notification, Wifi, bookmarks in browser, home screen icons and layout etc...) and if possible a list of the apps I had installed (not too fussed about that but it would be a nice help).

You are rooted I take it?

If so them install RA's 1.5 recovery image and create a nandroid backup, this will backup the entire system to your SD card, if you have apps2SD enabled (by use of creating the swap/linux partitions in recovery) then even better as there is less to backup since everything will be on the card anyway.

I've mentioned MyBackup Pro many times in this thread already.

You can backup/restore any time you want, why wait.

It won't backup completely however, it won't backup the system state like nandroid will but it will backup key stuff like contacts, sms messages, mms, apps (not all bought apps or protected apps though) and of course home screen icons and settings etc.

I meant test my restore by resetting my phone back to factory default then running a restore. Mind you it only took about 15 mins to get my phone back to how I like it so even if the restore doesn't do what I want then it isn't a huge bind.

Ah I see.

MBP will do its job nicely though I can assure you, I use it still to restore certain parts of my phone after a change and things.

Cool, ill give it a go tonight. I am still wanting to root my phone, especially now as it has survived a smashed screen and now a total lock-up.... both times thinking "Oh no! I'm going to have to buy a new phone!".

Back
Top Bottom