***HTC Magic Thread***

Nice. Might do this after work tomorrow. :)

Btw 4.2.12.2 is out. :)

---- v4.2.12.2
* Fix kernel code that was causing some clicking and noise
* Revert Process.getFreeMemory() to type int - this was causing apps like Task Manager to crash the runtime.

---- v4.2.12.1
* Fixed typo in firstboot.sh that could eat your packages.xml file.

---- v4.2.12
* All locales should be displayed properly now (thanks PsychoI3oy)
* Contacts app updated to Wysie's 2.5
* Kernel update with a few bugfixes from CodeAurora, and switch back to as-iosched
* Updated translations
* Moved Work Email app to /data/app to save space on /system
* Updated scripts

Hi would anyone who has installed a swap on their SD card like to tell why I may be having a problem with weatherbug?

I currently have tried to uninstall/reinstall and not resolved.

Issue is that it fails to find my location after an extended period of time with gps on. The little widget that sits at the top fails to load anything as well.

Any help would be much welcome as I was really enjoying this little app.

Have you had a go yet Tonyyeb?

@everyone - Should I enable compcache and home app in memory for optimum performance in cyanogen? I don't have a swap partition but from what i've been reading you're better off without one?

Also, what do I do when the next cyanogen update comes out? Wont I overwrite my existing apps, settings and theme? What is apps2sd and do the apps run slower from your SD card?

Sorry for so many questions but i've been left behind. I remember I was the first to root and flash a hero rom on this thread back in the day, now you're all tinkering about with ext4 partitions and the like and I haven't got a clue what you're on about.

Any help to bring me up to speed will be appreciated.

First off, if you haven't already, flash Amon Ra's recovery onto your phone. Boot up into the recovery and use the partition menu to partition the sdcard.

On my 8gb card I went for a 96mb Swap partition, 512mb ext4 partition and the rest as fat32 for general storage.

Convert the freshly formatted ext2 to ext4. It's all explianed in this thread by Amon Ra.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=530492&highlight=amon+ra

Have a read through that and look at the images he's posted. It's all simple.

I'm gonna do this but I am unsure of one instruction.
Convert the freshly formatted ext2 to ext4.

You say to do a 96mb swap, a 512mb ext4 and the rest in fat32, so where does the ext2 come from and how do I convert it? Sorry to be a pain but i want to understand it fully before I start.

If I have one criticism of XDA there is way too much info poorly organized. What have you guys done on top of amon ra, the latest cyanogen and partitioning the SD? I don't want to be missing out on any tweaks/optimizations tis all.

To be honest, I find cyanogen slower than the stock rom thus far.

I am still also wondering how the update process works when a new cyanogen comes out? is all lost?

Thanks.

When a new cyanogen comes out you just copy it to the root of your sdcard, boot up into recovery, do a nandroid backup and then flash it over you old one without wiping. This works fine and you don't lose any settings or apps.

Having a swap partition should speed things up. Cyanogen has been nice and fast for me.

For information about formating your SD card with ext 4 please refer to here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15590995&postcount=2983

I followed mrk's instructions and those of the web and it worked perfectly and less messing around doing it manually this way.

//edit: Also my weatherbug problem has resolved it self with a reboot and leaving the gps on for an hour or so. Just must have struggled to locate itself for awhile.

What have you guys done on top of amon ra, the latest cyanogen and partitioning the SD? I don't want to be missing out on any tweaks/optimizations tis all.

Good question!

I am still also wondering how the update process works when a new cyanogen comes out? is all lost?

I downloaded the CM updater util... and every so often i'll do a Amon Ra backup.

You don't have to unzip any of the files. In fact do not unzip them. The only zip file you'll need to actually unzip to your sdcard, unless you like to have just 1 ring tone (unless this has changed over the course of the last 10 updates or so), is the audio resources zip.

As for Amon Ra's recovery, download the G version and do this

Copy recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img to the root of your sdcard
start the terminal app
$su (not required if you have root already)
#mount -a
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img

Seconds later you'll have Amon Ra's recovery.

When I'm trying to type the numbers for the recovery img at the end of the last step, the SU terminal doesn't recognise them and won't input the numbers, any idea?

Otherwise, cheers for guide, update without a hitch!

Back
Top Bottom