***HTC Magic Thread***

Yeah, I know. You were lucky in your thread that people actually read it properly!

I am willing to give it a go this morning.

I know I was lucky to get a few decent replies. I, like you, have not had much success in the past. Especially people not even bothering to read the post correctly!

I'm now going to be busy today so ill have to postpone to tonight or tomorrow. Let us all know how you get on buddy, and best of luck!

Silly point but did you try:

(if it still says <waiting for device> try fiddling with cable, rebooting phone, "adb kill-server", "adb remount" etc in some order until it recognises the device properly)

many times mate but i get "remount failed: operation not permitted"

I hate to worry you but I never got these messages using fastboot when on 1.5 cupcake. I am worried that again someone hasn't read your thread. Afterall, why does everywhere say you can't do it without gold card on our phones?

When can you have a bash at it? I'm going to install ubuntu as all the technical info out there for adb is under linux terminal. I'm losing patience.

Last edited:
All good in the hood.

Here you are folks. Here are the instructions for installing cyanogen on a UK vodafone magic 32B with 1.6 rom - no need to downgrade to 1.5. It's really easy, just take your time and please let me know if there are any errors in my guide.

Good Luck!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Format your SD Card from the phone menu.
• Download the HTC Android 1.6 base image - http://dx.infernix.net/DRC83_base_defanged.zip
• Download the Latest Cyanogen mod - http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-4.2.12.2-signed.zip
• Move the 2 image files above to your formatted SD card.
• Download the old 1.5 SDK for Windows - http://developer.android.com/sdk/download.html?v=archives/android-sdk-windows-1.5_r3.zip
• Open the downloaded SDK Zip Archive and find the Tools folder and the USB_driver folder. Extract these folders to C:\
• Download the latest CM recovery image - http://cyanogenmod.com/download/recovery/cm-recovery-1.4.img
• Move this file to C:\Tools
• Switch off your phone and hold down the back button and the power button to boot into FASTBOOT.
• Connect a USB cable from your phone to your PC.
• Try not to let Windows install the drivers automatically. If it does you can update the driver via device manager. Just point windows to C:/USB_driver and it will install the Android boot loader driver.
• Now open a command prompt. Right click and run as admin just to be safe. Make sure you’re still in FASTBOOT.
• Navigate to your tools directory:
• CD C:\
CD Tools
• Now simply type fastboot boot cm-recovery-1.4.img.
• The phone will reboot into Cyanogen recovery 1.4.
• DO A NANDROID BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• Select Wipe Data
• Select apply any update.zip
• Apply the DRC83_base_defanged.zip first.
• When complete do not reboot, go back into apply any update.zip again and apply update-cm-4.2.12.2-signed.zip
• Now you can reboot into Cyanogen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
• Now install the recovery image properly onto your phone:
• Connect your phone to your PC and mount the SD card. Copy the CM recovery image (the same one you put in your C:\Tools directory) to the root of your SD card. Rename it to “recovery” (you need to do this as the terminal app on cyanogen can’t type numbers).
• Open the terminal app and type SU
• Now type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
• Exit the terminal and test the recovery by turning off your phone and holding home and power together.
• Reboot.
• Now you’re done. Make a cup of tea and enjoy! 

May I recommend that once you've got a nice new OS installed you stick Amon Ra's improved version of Cyanogen's recovery. It makes a lot of tasks so much simpler and gives you selectable nandroids should you wish to restore one (Cyanogens justlets you restore the last one you made unless you **** around with adb).

Also it makes partitioning your sdcard simple.

@Alfie

You sir are fantastic! Not got time to do it tonight, but I have the rest of the week off and it will be job 1. Thanks for the instructions. Did it take long from start to finish?

@ElliorR

Installing Amon Ra's recovery. How is that done? Is it straight forward?

no probs mate. I hope that the length of time it took me will be much reduced for you now you have my guide. I reckon max 30mins.

Let me know how you get on.

As for amon ra, I guess you just do my step at the end, replacing the cm recovery image for the amon ra??

You don't have to unzip any of the files. In fact do not unzip them. The only zip file you'll need to actually unzip to your sdcard, unless you like to have just 1 ring tone (unless this has changed over the course of the last 10 updates or so), is the audio resources zip.

As for Amon Ra's recovery, download the G version and do this

Copy recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img to the root of your sdcard
start the terminal app
$su (not required if you have root already)
#mount -a
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img

Seconds later you'll have Amon Ra's recovery.

As for Amon Ra's recovery, download the G version and do this

Copy recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img to the root of your sdcard
start the terminal app
$su (not required if you have root already)
#mount -a
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img

Seconds later you'll have Amon Ra's recovery.
Do you need anything else on the card?

Back
Top Bottom