***HTC Magic Thread***

Is £180 a good price for this used? Can't decide what to get to be honest...

Qtek 9100 (New - £80)
HTC Diamond (Used - £115)
HTC Magic (Used - £180)
Other

Depends on a few things i suppose, is that price for a rooted Handset running latest cyanogen rom?

It's unlocked and boxed as new, couldn't you just flash it yourself? Diamond looks like good value too though, it comes with TomTom Europe.

It seems it is now possible to root Android 1.6 so, yeah, you could custom rom it yourself.

The diamond is WM is it not? Which, from my experience, is not as slick a mobile O/S as android.

As for the sat nav, this is available for free with google maps and nav launcher.

Yeah, also there's supposedly a 2.1 'upgrade' for the Magic coming:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/393815/htc_magic_to_get_android_21_update.html

It is, but it's got TouchFlo, which is the 'cream of the crop' if you like. On top of that there's been a fair bit of success porting Android to it, just need to get GPS, Bluetooth and the Camera working as far as i can tell.

Thanks for the tip... still undecided though :(

Yeah, also there's supposedly a 2.1 'upgrade' for the Magic coming:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/393815/htc_magic_to_get_android_21_update.html

It is, but it's got TouchFlo, which is the 'cream of the crop' if you like. On top of that there's been a fair bit of success porting Android to it, just need to get GPS, Bluetooth and the Camera working as far as i can tell.

Thanks for the tip... still undecided though :(

IF you were to attempt putting android on the diamond then surely that would wipe the TomTom and even if it didn't without GPS being available it wouldnae be working, correct?

No probs, mate of mine has been using WM on his omnia for approx 18 months and has not had any major complaints with it and he's a fussy beggar when it comes to these things.

True, true. So are you saying that the Diamond would be a better choice because it offers much of the same stuff but at a lower price? Or not...

I guess what i'm saying is that if its android you are after then go for the handset that had it from the off, plus the diamond with android appears to be not a fully resolved option.

It really does depend on you, tho.

Ive had my magic for 6 months now and really can't imagine using another o/s.

Diamond:
  • WinMo 6.1 with TouchFlo 3D, upgradable to either WinMo 6.5 or various Android ports with varying success.
  • 2.8" VGA Resistive Screen
  • Qualcomm® MSM7201A™ 528 MHz
  • ROM: 256 MB
  • RAM: 192 MB DDR SDRAM
  • Internal storage: 4 GB
  • 3G - HSDPA/WCDMA
  • WiFi - 802.11g
  • GPS & aGPS
  • 3.2MP Auto Focus Camera
  • £115 total

Magic:
  • Android 1.5/1.6/2.1
  • 3.2" HVGA Capacative Screen
  • Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
  • ROM: 512 MB
  • RAM: 288 MB
  • MicroSD Card Slot
  • 3G - HSDPA/WCDMA
  • WiFi - 802.11g
  • GPS
  • 3.2MP Auto Focus Camera
  • £185 total

They're actually quite similar devices on paper, basically i'd be paying the extra for a better design and Android. Hmm...

specs n that

They're actually quite similar devices on paper, basically i'd be paying the extra for a better design and Android. Hmm...

android has double the rom/ram

and ... the diamond is resisitive the magic capacitive a difference i had forgotten, this alone would have me choosing ( as i did ) the magic.

Like i say tho its really up to you, if cash is the deciding factor, then the diamond it is.

Hmm, given what i've just heard about the Diamond the Magic looks more promising.

Just saying though, on a 2.8" screen you kinda need the accuracy or a resistive screen.

aye, u could be right there.

That said, i had 18 months with an LG Viewty which was resistive touchscreen and it was the single most soul destroying experience i've had with any mobile/handheld device and i've owned a Motorola v500.

Got some pictures from the seller, seems okay apart from a few chips here and there. Although it makes me think - was i right to dismiss the T-Mobile Pulse? Does the Magic actually offer anything over it discounting a better camera and build quality?

Yeah i guessed that i mean the seller on there, dont worry though i was just interested only seems to be one or two selling them so i wondered if it was teh same place i got mine from.

Back
Top Bottom