***HTC Magic Thread***

im finding 4.2.15.1 much faster than the previous release.

For Khaaan etc who are considering leaving cyanogen for an alternative rom DO NOT BOTHER.

Khaaan, I have tried all of the sense based roms out there, with swap, ram hack and enhanced dalvik etc and they are all extremely slow. I'm not sure where you read they were smooth but it must have been based on a 32A device. Evilhero 3 is no exception and will leave you waiting for the home app to load every time regardless of any tweaks you try.

Some of you may be getting the urge to try one of the 2 eclair based roms with 2.1 and live wallpapers. Again, don't bother. They have many bugs and are broken, missing even basic functionality. Also, the live wallpapers are a huge fail. They don't run well on a 32b device at all.

Cyanogen is where it's at for a 32B. Who cares if it takes him ages to release an update, it was worth the wait, it's just amazing now. If you do get bored between updates why not try messing about with metamorph theming? If you don't fancy that much try a standard theme.zip for cyanogen such as enoch. You just apply it from recovery and voila!

Safe.

I have a non-branded magic with 32A on it. Fastboot showed it as being "Sapphire 32A". Would cyanogen be the best mod for me? I tried installing the ROM update on the HTC magic website, but it told me that this software is not suitable for my phone?

Has anyone had any problems with people they are calling hearing them? Just called my Mum and she could barely hear me. So I rang the home phone, answered that, and could barely hear my brother using my phone.

When calling people sometimes people say it's really quiet but when answering a call it seems fine.

I've also installed Sygic Mobile Maps 9 - My Garmin Nuvi 255WT died the other day so I needed a working satnav, I am happy to say the Sygic application is very very good and voice directions are clear and accurate too.

It's €49.99 @ 330MB download size from Sygic's site.

I also have the Brut.all modified maps installed alongside official Google maps 4.0 so can use that to navigate as well but the only downside at present is the modified navigation for EU does not show road names at the top (next turning/exit etc) and sometimes voice directions fail to initiate.

Has anyone had any problems with people they are calling hearing them? Just called my Mum and she could barely hear me. So I rang the home phone, answered that, and could barely hear my brother using my phone.

Not covering the mic are you? I sometimes inadvertently do it when making calls.

Yep, i had this, there is a patch floating about that helped, still not as good as the oem though, bit annoying really!

Edit - Here you go
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=568891

Nice fix!

Also anyone noticed how good the GPS receiver on the Magic is? it's so good I can get accurate locks (within 30metres) inside the house! When using navigation too I leave the phone on the centre cubby console instead of on the dash because reception is always full bars.

GPS locks in within seconds too unlike other phones and satnavs which take up to 40.

After getting the "This software is not suitable for your phone" message on the htc website, I thought i'd see if changing the country would help since I picked up the phone in India. The one for Singapore seems to work but it also displays "(For Singapore, Philippines only)" The ROM version is 3.03.707.5.

Does that country thing matter or make a difference?

The ROM seems to be the right one since it's the only one that recognized my serial number as being correct. The other's just displayed that error message and wouldn't let me even download the file. It's just that country thing that had me concerned and was wondering what effect, if any, it had. Though I guess it's not worth risking a bricked phone for a couple of extra features.

Back
Top Bottom