***HTC Magic Thread***

I've just had a play with the Magic in store and found it quite difficult to use the onscreen keyboad in potrait mode have other people found it ackward? Just wondering if it something i will master or just that onscreen keyboards aren't that good. Reason i ask is i can decide between the Magic or the Nokia E71.

I've just had a play with the Magic in store and found it quite difficult to use the onscreen keyboad in potrait mode have other people found it ackward? Just wondering if it something i will master or just that onscreen keyboards aren't that good. Reason i ask is i can decide between the Magic or the Nokia E71.

what about the hero? its out next week on orange, well the guy I spoke to in the orange store in town said next week(was supposed to be this week but has been delayed till next week).

what about the hero? its out next week on orange, well the guy I spoke to in the orange store in town said next week(was supposed to be this week but has been delayed till next week).

I'm a bit wary of changing network as I want to make sure I get a signal where I live. Also what I’ve seen of the Hero it going to be more expensive, at least initially. Saying that I have seen someone selling the Hero on a £30 a month contract on Vodafone but I don't know whether to believe them as it an Orange and T mobile exclusive phone at the moment.

the network exclucivity only means that you wouldn't be able to get it as an upgrade from vodafone or as a new customer in the vodafone store or online/over the phone, doesn't stop places like carphonewarehouse(and it's many online sites) selling simfree unlocked ones with a vodafone/o2 contract. the same thing happened with the touch hd last year.

to get it through cpw etc you might have to wait a bit tho if the touch hd case is anything to go by.

Hi all, been reading this thread for a while (and generally lurking elsewhere on the boards!) and wanted some advice from you Magic owners, if you don't mind. Not really sure whether this should be a new thread entirely, but seeing as I've read this one all the way through and it seems pretty active I'll put it here.

So - can you give me reasons NOT to get this phone?

Some background - I had a K850i die on me and am using an old D900 I had laying around at the moment, not ideal not least because the battery is 4 or so years old. I want the phone primarily for Internet use (which really dictates it's one of these phones with nice big screens!), and I also like to customise my handset, i.e. tones etc.

In this video (youtube.com/watch?v=b2LsmN5QCtM), it looks a bit slow? Not just the web browsing, but when he checks SMS notifications etc - however in the second video (youtube.com/watch?v=5qz4EZpxoys) it seems much snappier - perhaps because the the web browser is open its slowing it down? Other videos I've seen don't really look like this, so I'm not sure what to think.

So far, I've come up with negatives like :-

1) Hero (+ others, including a Sony) due soon-ish
2) Screen isn't multi-touch (does this REALLY matter though?)
3) No browser flash (yet.... although again, do I really care?!)
4) Tiny storage until you add a card
5) Battery isn't too great? Especially if I'll have it for a minimum 18 months...
6) No 3.5mm jack
7) 18/24 month contract, although more an issue with Vodafone than the Magic.

The Hero (and others) will be more costly I'm sure, and probably not add a whole lot more that I will actually find useful. I suppose I can just wait a while and see what the Galaxy and Hero actually turn out like seeing as they appear to be imminent but I don't want to fall into the waiting game with phones, otherwise I'll never get one!

Anyway, all feedback/advice much welcomed (oh and mods, if you think this should be a new thread please move it)!

Anyway, all feedback/advice much welcomed (oh and mods, if you think this should be a new thread please move it)!
Hi marty50. :) I'm struggling to think of reasons not to get the Magic at some point. The only issues I have is Flash but, like you, does that matter to me? The other is its exclusivity to Vodafone right now. I believe that Vodafone have a 6 month long exclusivity deal so hopefully in October that ends? Or whenever 6 months on from when the Magic came out is. :p

I don't think this is worthy of a new thread. :) It is Magic related and could help a few of us thinking of getting a Magic to make our minds up! :p

Hi all, been reading this thread for a while (and generally lurking elsewhere on the boards!) and wanted some advice from you Magic owners, if you don't mind. Not really sure whether this should be a new thread entirely, but seeing as I've read this one all the way through and it seems pretty active I'll put it here.

So - can you give me reasons NOT to get this phone?

Some background - I had a K850i die on me and am using an old D900 I had laying around at the moment, not ideal not least because the battery is 4 or so years old. I want the phone primarily for Internet use (which really dictates it's one of these phones with nice big screens!), and I also like to customise my handset, i.e. tones etc.

In this video (youtube.com/watch?v=b2LsmN5QCtM), it looks a bit slow? Not just the web browsing, but when he checks SMS notifications etc - however in the second video (youtube.com/watch?v=5qz4EZpxoys) it seems much snappier - perhaps because the the web browser is open its slowing it down? Other videos I've seen don't really look like this, so I'm not sure what to think.

So far, I've come up with negatives like :-

1) Hero (+ others, including a Sony) due soon-ish
2) Screen isn't multi-touch (does this REALLY matter though?)
3) No browser flash (yet.... although again, do I really care?!)
4) Tiny storage until you add a card
5) Battery isn't too great? Especially if I'll have it for a minimum 18 months...
6) No 3.5mm jack
7) 18/24 month contract, although more an issue with Vodafone than the Magic.

The Hero (and others) will be more costly I'm sure, and probably not add a whole lot more that I will actually find useful. I suppose I can just wait a while and see what the Galaxy and Hero actually turn out like seeing as they appear to be imminent but I don't want to fall into the waiting game with phones, otherwise I'll never get one!

I too had a k850i. That phone was the worst phone ever produced. The HTC Magic however is the best (I think). I will answer your points in turn.

1. Hero is ugly, sluggish and more expensive. Sony's phone will also be more expensive and will come with hideous branding/firmware i'm sure. The magic is nice and light in terms of software.

2. Screen supports multi touch and this will be implemented in te next firmware coming in august. (It's already available via custom roms from XDA Developers forum.)

3. Again, Flash is available via custom Roms and it is also a definite addition to the official firmware we will all be getting over the air in august (Donut (2.0)). In the meantime, there is an iplayer and a youtube app which both work perfectly.

4. It comes with 2gb and if you can't afford an 8gb card for a tenner or less you're better of with a bottom end nokia surely?

5. Battery is fine. It's a good battery..........only reason people complain is because they use so many features when they first get the phone. The battery life improves over time, as does your discipline. I'm not sure what 18 months has to do with it, the battery does not suffer from memory issues.......that's old skool, even your K850i battery does not deteriorate over time due to charging methods.

6. get an adapter. I have one that cost £1.99 and it's great.

7. This is not an issue with vodafone, it is an issue with all networks unless you go sim only.

So i'm afraid that if you want convincing not to get the phone you've come to the wrong place...........we're all rather attached to the little blighter.

One thing that would stop me from getting the magic now though is that T-mobile are re-branding it as the Mytouch 3g and soon everyones mums and girlfriends will be parading the phone around like a toy and it will lose its elite gadget status.

If you can accept that, i encourage you to go ahead and get one.

Thanks for the info so far!

With regards to the points addressed by Alfie, I'll explain a bit more as there's some crossed wires I think:

1) Hero is sluggish? How do you know yet? :) All the previews and videos I've seen so far have indicated it's been great, and with more RAM than the Magic it should be faster if anything. The Galaxy looks as good (as the Magic), and Sony's won't be out for a long time anyway yet I imagine.

2) & 3) Custom ROMs are all well and good, but I'd prefer these things added by the operator, which as you say may happen with the next revision.

4) Haha, I can afford a card - I was more getting at the fact other phones have more built-in as standard (e.g. the Galaxy).

5) The battery stuff is just based on what I've read here and on Voda's forum, but one of the reasons I asked this here now is because the owners in this thread will have had a fair bit of time now and can provide a good bit of feedback :)

7) It is an "issue" with Vodafone, because that's who I am with and it's also who currently has the Magic exclusively - but as MarcLister says above, perhaps their exclusivity period may end soon, which also throws another spanner in the works in terms of me getting one soon, availability on other networks will undoubtedly lead to better deals! :(

Back
Top Bottom