***HTC Magic Thread***

Thanks for the info so far!

With regards to the points addressed by Alfie, I'll explain a bit more as there's some crossed wires I think:

1) Hero is sluggish? How do you know yet? :) All the previews and videos I've seen so far have indicated it's been great, and with more RAM than the Magic it should be faster if anything. The Galaxy looks as good (as the Magic), and Sony's won't be out for a long time anyway yet I imagine.

2) & 3) Custom ROMs are all well and good, but I'd prefer these things added by the operator, which as you say may happen with the next revision.

4) Haha, I can afford a card - I was more getting at the fact other phones have more built-in as standard (e.g. the Galaxy).

5) The battery stuff is just based on what I've read here and on Voda's forum, but one of the reasons I asked this here now is because the owners in this thread will have had a fair bit of time now and can provide a good bit of feedback :)

7) It is an "issue" with Vodafone, because that's who I am with and it's also who currently has the Magic exclusively - but as MarcLister says above, perhaps their exclusivity period may end soon, which also throws another spanner in the works in terms of me getting one soon, availability on other networks will undoubtedly lead to better deals! :(

1. Hero looks sluggish in the videos i've seen, especially with the HTC Touch Flo or whatever it is called. The Magic is the quickest, most responsive, happiest multitasking phone i've ever had.

2 & 3. August is when the new OFFICIAL ROM is due out - which is pushed out so no need to download etc... That is at most 40ish days. Not a long time to wait really.

4. My god! Who cares about the amount of built in memory when SD memory is soooooo cheap?!?!

5. I was complaining about the battery on my Magic when I first got it, but as has already been said I use it LOTS. Plus the battery has improved greatly the more I've had it. Before I would have bought a high cap battery if it were available.... now not so sure.

7. Im on £30 a month, 500mb net, 3000 texts, 600 mins. 18 months, free phone. A few people have slightly better deals on here. It is worth every penny for this phone.

oh well i got really bored today and guess what installed the hero rom it is slow but if you give it time it seems to get slighty better infact i haven't rooted my phone i booted up off a recovery rom didn't install it and applyed the hero rom by changing the name to update.zip and running the update from sd card so i'll keep this till the new update comes out in in augest

Last edited:
You mean make them white? it took quite a bit of effort to mask all the holes and contacts to make sure the spray didn't hit them!

I'll have to think about it as I only have weekend time to do this :p

Thanks for the digital clock recommendation!

Edit*

Digital Clock looked too basic so I've opted to just hit HOME to let the phone go into sleep mode and then dock it which results in the status screen showing time/date/battery etc:

htcmagic_cradle_5.jpg
Robbie, is there anyway to get the Magic to stay on this screen when locked?

The option is only usable when plugged in via USB or power charger, settings > applications > development.

Also my phone managed to slip out of my hand in my room last night while I was polishing it of some fingerprints :O

Luckily even though it was a 4foot drop and slide it was not scratched or damaged at all considering it landed on laminate flooring :p

Need to up my game!

As for the cradle: This is the one I got and used plastikote (sp?) satin white to paint it.

No this one is for plastics/wood etc. It's decorators spray from an art dept in local range.

Yes it looks good before painting and would be perfect on the black HTC Magic but with the white on it it looks...meh!

Also regarding battery charging times, I did some very basic maths today while observing my charge times over USB from laptop:

It took exactly 2.5mins to charge 1% so by process of doubling...

002.5min = 01%
005.0min = 02%
010.0min = 04%
020.0min = 08%
040.0min = 16%
080.0min = 32%
160.0min = 64%

= 160m+80m+10m = 100%
= 4.1hrs = 100%

My maths is pretty average but a shade over 2hrs to charge 50% seems bang on what I observe daily :p

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've just got the Magic today (off the back of this thread).

I must say, even though I've only played with it a little while, it feels sooooo much better to use than my Omnia. It's a class apart.

Anyways, I have a couple of noob questions.

1. I have setup both my hotmail and gmail accounts on the phone. What I'm wondering is, can I password protect them? So if someone uses my phone they can't just click an icon and read my email.

2. People are talking about advanced task manager, but is there a basic one already installed on the phone? (also where would I get the advanced one from).

Thanks.

In Cupcake there is no task manager no hence the mentioned app :D maybe there will be in Donut/Flan/Eclair later this year who knows.

As for the locking, unfortunately not as it's a key part of the Android ecosystem itself so the best you can do is lock the phone itself so you have to enter a finger combination if you want to use it.

Right in answer to this question guys, find an application called "Toggle Settings" it's a widget that has a bunch of toggles (no? REALLY?!) available including one called 'Screen never timeout' which im sure needs absolutely no explanation :p Once i got this app i deleted my other desktop toggles (albeit very nicely designed icons!) bar the quick vibrate/silent one which is always handy to keep :)

Right, I want to get this phone next month when I am eligible for my upgrade. Have a question about the wi-fi though - can you set the phone to automatically switch onto your wireless network if it is in range, or do you have to do this manually?

Back
Top Bottom