***HTC Magic Thread***

Got mine this morning and it's a fantastic piece of kit. Did manage to nearly kill it opening the box though; it hinged on the barcode sticker and got stuck, so I forced it open only to catapult the phone at the table and then on to the floor :D

Works fine though :D

Got a shedload of apps installed, but had to buy ahome off Paypal on here as the Marketplace won't take my card. Still waiting for a download link to it - apparently it can take days. Boo. :(

will be getting mine tomorrow..

600mins
Unlimited texts
500mb data
18month
£30.84

paid £30 for the phone

Was it an upgrade or a new customer? Is it because you wanted an 18 moth over 24 moth contract?

I went into voda at lunch and could get the same deal with a free phone?
Is handy really as i was torn between magic & hero. Orange hero was too dear and t-mob who im with now have no 3g signal where i leve whereas voda do.

Im cancelling and going with voda on £25 per month & £5 internet = free phone.

Hi!

Literally just ordered this today as a Vodafone upgrade. As someone before said, just drop the HTC Hero name and they will ***** themselves.

Also very important if you are already with Vodafone: ask for the RETENTIONS department, not the upgrades people. In Retentions they have the power to knock loads off the cost. In upgrade I was offered £35 a month, 24 month contract and no internet included, which she apparently "couldn't top".

Go to retentions, say you will go to Orange and the Hero, bingo £30 a month contract, free Magic, free internet, 600 mins, unlimited texts and a months free insurance.

Picking it up from a local shop tomorrow as well (good way top avoid postage costs), quite excited! Big step up from a W890 anyways...

Fully star out any swear words please.

will be getting mine tomorrow..

600mins
Unlimited texts
500mb data
18month
£30.84

paid £30 for the phone

They tried to get me to pay £30, then turned into £20, then for some reason AFTER I agreed to it (and it was £29.30 a month after tax reduction or thereabouts) he simply said "I've waived the £20 for you as well". Couldn't believe my ears!

Just quote some internet deals on the Hero if you have any problems, worked for me.

PS is that 500MB what they consider to be "unlimited" internet ie fair usage policy?

What on earth is going on? I got free phone, 600 mins, unltd texts and internet. I pay 25 a month on an 18 month contract. That was as a new cust
omer. Why are they offering you folks such awful deals on upgrade. Its not fair, and I would seriously consider leaving vodafone if I were you.

mine was an upgrade.. wasnt to fussed with paying £30 as i spoke to some in the morning and they would not drop it below £80 even after i said i would leave.

could get a better deal if i worked out it but not to fussed £30 is not really that much.

yeah 500mb is what they class as unlimited bundle :)

new custumers allways seem to get better deals on all networks tbh

Yeah true, I guess they know there is NOTHING stopping a new customer going to any network, whereas for an upgrade they know how much hassle it would be actually moving network, changing number, ending bills etc etc

All the best deals are on the likes of Dialaphone, onestopphoneshop etc with those half price line rentals. Even if it is by redeption for a cheque!

Ok the £12 cradle off eBay came the other day, I didn't post as I wanted to wait until I sprayed it white which I did today (2nd coat).
Long time but what kind of paint spray did you use? Edging more and more to getting a Magic. None of the other Android phones I know about take my fancy in the same way the magic does. Already bought a 99p USB to headphone adapter off ebay including free delivery. :) From Hong Kong! :D Course that's in black so I might try to spray paint that white, any issues with that?

Plasticote satin white :p

I've been putting movies on the Magic recntly with my new found Badaboom application which rips to the phone in 10mins flat at 1MB/sec video rat awesome quality - I noticed the phone remembers the position of videos being played which is ace :p

Can't find anything on The Range site and the nearest shop is in Middlesex. I'm in Bedfordshire. :D

Found both matt and satin versions of the Plasticote stuff on diy.com (B&Q). Homebase'll probably have it as well.

Could I spray paint the USB to 3.5mm plug cable as well? :p No point having a white HTC Magic, spray painted white charging cradle and then have a black audio cable. :D

I was in Vodafone yesterday - I'm an existing customer, overdue an upgrade.

Best they could offer was a £30 a month contract with 1000 texts, 200 minutes and free internet, with an £80 charge for the phone itself.

Which I thought was quite good until I read the tail end of this thread - unlimited texts, 1000 minutes, same price contract *and* a free phone?!

Am I just rubbish at haggling?!

I was in Vodafone yesterday - I'm an existing customer, overdue an upgrade.

Best they could offer was a £30 a month contract with 1000 texts, 200 minutes and free internet, with an £80 charge for the phone itself.

Which I thought was quite good until I read the tail end of this thread - unlimited texts, 1000 minutes, same price contract *and* a free phone?!

Am I just rubbish at haggling?!

That sounds terrible as a new customer gets a free phone, 600 minutes, unlimited texts and internet for £35 with a free phone on a 18 month contract.

That sounds terrible as a new customer gets a free phone, 600 minutes, unlimited texts and internet for £35 with a free phone on a 18 month contract.

Indeed...

I wonder whether I was being played - as I had no clue about this phone to start with (asked for a demo etc). She started with the handset price over £120 on the screen, and "brought it down" to £80 - by all appearances at the time, a good deal.

Indeed, in my head it was a good deal, as I'm still on an old fashioned Nokia 6300 for £25 a month... and these new fangled phones still cost a fortune (in my mind!)

I'm still staggered that I can get something like a Magic for a fiver more per month than my current phone!

I might try ringing about an upgrade, or go back into the shop armed with some figures on the deals Orange are doing on the Hero.

Last edited:
Bit of an update - been into the Northampton Vodafone shop and came away with a Magic, huzzah!

In the end, I did have to pay for the phone, as I'm technically a month and a half shy of my old 24 month contract.

Buuuut, because I've been with them a while, I got a contract with unlimited texts, 300 minutes (more than I'll ever use!) and unlimited internet for under £20 a month. Which means, in under a year, I'll have made back the money I had to pay for the handset.

Happy bunny - looks to be a great phone so far, having an initial play at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom