***HTC Magic Thread***

It's weird how the deals differ so much.

I was transferring from Orange. I got mine instore and it's £30 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited texts (which is actually 1500 I was told) and unlimited data. The phone was free and it's for 18 months. I do pay extra on top of that for insurance but I'm fine with that. I've never not had some kind of problem!

Argh, I can upgrade this week but Vodafone told me I'd have to pay £100 for the phone. Idiots, it's free on the web with an 18 month contract and I've been with Vodafone for like 3 years so I would kinda appreciate some loyalty discount....I'll have to have a good haggle with them.

Hi Reflux

I work for the Vodafone Web Relations team and came upon your post.

I can understand why this would be an annoying situation for you. If you send and email from http://vodafone.co.uk/contactus with your details, a link to your post and MMM135 in the body of the text, one of our team will look into this for you.

Speak to you soon!

Kirsty
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK

Guys, I seem to be having a problem with this phone, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Sometimes, the phone will not ring, send/receive text, or email. For example, if I tried calling 'Home', I would select the name and ring, but it just instantly says 'Call Ended'. The only way to fix this, is to switch the phone off and turn it back on again. Then it seems to work fine. I'm a little worried that I might miss some important calls etc.

Anyone any ideas?

I have found that the phone needs to be restarted every few days as it will suddenly lose signal in an area it would normally be perfectly fine.

Not really too sure what causes it, but would be nice to know.

Cancelling my HTC Magic phone under the cooling off periodm gonna get an Iphone, I dont find the Magic as responsive as the Iphone and also the Magic keyboard/pad smaller and more fiddly than the Iphone - Shame, as it is a good phone - but not great

It's great for watching movies on and the screen is miles and miles better than Nokia 5800 in terms of robustness and material quality:

htcmagic_vs_nokia5800.jpg

My aunt was particularly impressed with the video quality though but she does has a Tocco ultra...!

htcmagic_movies.jpg

If you're unhappy with the responsiveness of Cupcake on the Magic then personally I'd have waited until Donut is release which is not long....going by XDA Devs it's miles better performance wise and adds nice new things. I know most things can be done on an iPhone but I just could not live without the Google integration :p yesterday I watched a DVD movie on it, bought stuff off ebay (Pkt eBay Auctions app is awesome!), posted here, browsed some other sites, sent myself some attachments, tracked my travels using mytracks and kept the battery juiced up via USB from the car and wherever I went! I still want to change the Magic for a handset that has HD video recording and a bigger res screen but for now I'm going to make use of all of the Magic's capabilities :p

An iPhone just doesn't feel or look as unique as an Android phone and on top of that the scratchy casing + extra costs involved make it not really worth it really. Oh and not forgetting Apples recent array of randomly dropping apps off the app store or denying things like Google Voice etc.

Edit*

I compared it to the 5800 above because to behonest the 5800 is touchscreen, free and most easily a candidate among many people who don't realise the Android potential. the above phone is my uncle's and he's slowly drawing in on Android now :p

Last edited:
Is there an app for a different keypad? really finding it difficult to use! and frustrating when I type a word and its wrong / and/or the space bar hasnt spaced, bah!!!

I have logged with Vodafone my contract to cancel, but if I manage to find some sort of fix, I will just forget about it and continue with the HTC

How do you mean change the keypad? You do realise you can type in landscape giving a bigger keypad?

The ion rom enables the HTC keypad which is the quicktype style keypad btw.

Donut may be different still, not sure yet.

Easy chaps, no need for better keyboard or the hassle of sticking a rom on. Just download this Zip file http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/htc_ime.zip and copy the HTC_IME.apk (ignore the .so file) onto the root of your SD card. Make sure you have ASTRO file manager installed and simply install the copied apk.

Then you can go to the Locale and text menu in settings and enable touch input to enable the new keyboard (this is completely reversable - you can turn it off or uninstall it to re-enable the original keyboard).

There are various settings and keyboard types to choose from (including T9 big key S60 style).

This apk is taken straight from the sense UI on the HTC hero and is a **** sight better than the original.

Enjoy!

Hi Reflux

I work for the Vodafone Web Relations team and came upon your post.

I can understand why this would be an annoying situation for you. If you send and email from http://vodafone.co.uk/contactus with your details, a link to your post and MMM135 in the body of the text, one of our team will look into this for you.

Speak to you soon!

Kirsty
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK

Thanks for that, but I upgraded last week and managed to get the phone for free. I couldn't get a very good deal on it though; even with several years of Vodafone custom he wouldn't budge on the standard price plan.

Hmm I've enabled it, chosen the normal QWERTY keyboard but when I open any text input box the new keyboard does not show, just seems to be the standard keyboard!

Back
Top Bottom