***HTC Magic Thread***

This is the strange thing about it really, if the drive appears in his computer then he has mounted it.

Roweyboi - unplug from PC and go to settings on the phone. Select the SD card and phone storage menu and select unmount SD card. Then, assuming there is nothing important on the card, you should format it and see if that fixes your problem.

If that doesnt fix it, install ASTRO from the market and see if you can access the SD card on the phone. This will help us to work out if it's the phone or your PC.

Good Luck

This is the strange thing about it really, if the drive appears in his computer then he has mounted it.

Not so. I just plugged mine in and the drive appears. If you double click on it it says "Please insert a disk into drive E:". Only when you press mount on the phone does it allow you to open the drive.

Ive fixed it :), the sd card works fine because i can store photos on there and media etc.. I thought id try a different lead to connect it to my pc and i mounted it fine and put some music onto my phone this morning before work, think my lead may have been dodgy

Is there a way to properly quit an app when you're done using it? At the moment, if I read a text, use the browser, check my emails and calendar, then all those apps carry on running in the background until I manually close them with taskiller...

Those are commonly used applications that you access on and off everyday. I'd want them still running to be honest so they load up a bit quicker when I select them.

Its non phone default applications you need to keep an eye on. Theres a couple I've downloaded from the Market that simply refuse to close automatically.

Not a way I found so far, waiting for someone to create a bluetooth remote like SE phones have :p

The only way at present is using Gmote but that's basically using the phone as a touchpad which is nice but not....what you want :p

ARGHHHH why is there no way to sort contacts by First Name, Last Name? No other phone I've ever used has sorted them Last Name, First Name and it's a right pain.

Also, what are you supposed to do if you don't have one of the four credit cards the Marketplace supports? They really need to support PayPal.

Last edited:
Huh?

They display Firstname, Lastname for me, exactly how I have them set out in GMail.

As for Market buying, enable Google Checkout in your Google account itself then just pay that way.

Huh?

They display Firstname, Lastname for me, exactly how I have them set out in GMail.

Yeah, they display like that for me, which is a pain because every other phone displays First Name, Last Name. Like for example my Dad's work number is entered as Dad Work, but because it sorts Last Name, First Name it comes up as Work Dad. It's not very helpful. Couldn't find anything on Google about how to change it round either.

As for Market buying, enable Google Checkout in your Google account itself then just pay that way.

Had a Google checkout account already. I don't have a credit card, so I have it set up to use my Switch card. When I try and purchase an app, I get the message 'Please enter a valid credit card'. Thus, it does not accept debit cards and I cannot purchase any apps. Which is balls :(

Further digging uncovers the following:

http://www.google.com/support/forum...5f&hl=en&fid=57912f7eefae2e5f0004668e8b4e6944

So if you're thinking of getting up to your nuts in apps, make sure you've got a supported card first.

Last edited:
I use my Visa debit in Google checkout and it works fine!

I still don't understand the contacts names issue though you have as it confuses me and it takes a lot to confuse me this much :p

Under Your Dad's contact in Gmail you have his email, number and work number right?

This will show up on the phone as "Dad" and when you click on Dad it will list all his contact details and address with google maps clickthrough if you've added an address.

You should not be putting in a new contact for Dad Mobile/Work etc but instead merging such numbers in to the one Dad contact - I assume the former is what you've been doing?

Yeah, I think it just doesn't accept Maestro cards, that's what the problem is.

Contacts - I have all my contacts as separate numbers; stupid I know in this age of smartphones and synchronization but they've been like that for years. In addition, some contacts have second names that aren't they're second names e.g. my best mate is stored as Dave 15 because that's his house number. So as you can see it ends up being a bit of a pain. What I don't get is why I can't simply change the display options somewhere to sort them on my phone by First Name; Last Name :confused:

Yeah, I think it just doesn't accept Maestro cards, that's what the problem is.

Contacts - I have all my contacts as separate numbers; stupid I know in this age of smartphones and synchronization but they've been like that for years. In addition, some contacts have second names that aren't they're second names e.g. my best mate is stored as Dave 15 because that's his house number. So as you can see it ends up being a bit of a pain. What I don't get is why I can't simply change the display options somewhere to sort them on my phone by First Name; Last Name :confused:

You have two options I guess, either sort your ancient contacts organisation out (:p) or wait for Donut to be released and update the Magic to it which may well solve the issue.

or just use an alternative contacts manager app to replace the Android one!

Seriously though, if you sorted your contacts out properly you'd see just how flexible and robust the contacts manager in Gmail is allowing to put in so much info under one contact.

mrk could reflux try changing 'Dave 15' to 'Dave-15' to try and fool Android into thinking that's a first name? :p

Indeed, could try that but there are a lot with odd second names and I'm not gonna sit there and do 'em all, I'd be here till Xmas :D

I'm using the Phonebook app instead of the default dialler app and it still lists them this way, so it seems it's a deeper setting in the phone or GMail integration.

I just don't see why it's so hard to have an option to swap the sort order....I've had seven other mobile phones and none of them have done it this way :(

I'm waiting patiently for Donut, looking forward to some of its new features so it'd be nice if they could sort out the contacts manager too lol.

I've added a test group and added Dave 15 and Dave-15 and they both show up under D in contacts as "Dave 15" and "Dave-15".

How have you added them in Gmail? I add people without commas, so "Simon Simonette" is exactly input like that.

*Simon Simonette is a made up name :p

Back
Top Bottom