***HTC Magic Thread***

By the way folks, if anyone needs a hand rooting their phone and/or sticking Hero or other firmware on it I can do a step-by-step guide. However.........i would not reccommend it one bit, the original firmware is so clean and fast and the Hero and other roms only work well on the 32A (288mb) magic's.

Let me know!

Fair play, you're probably better for it............and less likely to drop your magic.

Edit: I take it all back........You've droped your magic more than any of us!!! :p

But scratch free!

Also, it's reported that the HTC chief has said that the magic has "surpassed" 1 million units being shifted.

Nice :D

Last edited:
Anyone know where SMS messages are stored on the phone?

I've had a browse through ASTRO, but can't find them... I like to keep a relatively clean inbox (have threads well into the hundreds of messages already!) but I'd like to back them up before deleting.

Also, the phone has gone WAY up in my estimations, purely because one of the free tracks on the SD card is by Marcus Miller - one of my favourite jazz/funk bass guitar players, and relatively unknown. Top work HTC/Android/Google/Vodafone(?!)

I got a free app called SMS Backup. It created a label called SMS in my gmail account, and every time I receive a text it automatically backs it up to my gmail :D

By the way folks, if anyone needs a hand rooting their phone and/or sticking Hero or other firmware on it I can do a step-by-step guide. However.........i would not reccommend it one bit, the original firmware is so clean and fast and the Hero and other roms only work well on the 32A (288mb) magic's.

Let me know!

I'm a little bit disappointed with the UI on the Magic - it just feels kinda like it was put together by an engineer, not a designer. I was really considering rooting the phone and sticking the Hero UI on there, but if the lack of RAM is a problem I guess I'll have to pass :(

The UI is stock Android UI Cupcake though so you're actually not liking Android and not the Magic itself :p

The Hero UI is custom to the Hero which is why it's not a "with Google" phone and why some apps in the market are blocked on it from what I read. I assume the same will apply to Sony Ericsson's Rachael custom UI.

Personally my recommendation is to wait until Donut, Flan and Eclair. Official OS and UI updates will be the way to go.

The UI is stock Android UI Cupcake though so you're actually not liking Android and not the Magic itself :p

The Hero UI is custom to the Hero which is why it's not a "with Google" phone and why some apps in the market are blocked on it from what I read. I assume the same will apply to Sony Ericsson's Rachael custom UI.

Personally my recommendation is to wait until Donut, Flan and Eclair. Official OS and UI updates will be the way to go.

The Hero Market problem was a network issue that has now been resolved.

Ah I see, but the latter is still standing though, about the UI being customised by the maker for that phone although nothing stopping xdadevs from porting it :p

I'm inclined to agree with you at this moment in time because the Sense interface on the Hero is still quite new and immature. I think the beauty of Android is that manufacturers can adapt it and give it their own unique identity and interface. You can see that now with the Hero, and obviously Sony Ericsson with the Rachael UI but there's also Motorola who seem to be making a big effort to reinvent itself using Android and their rumoured "Blur" interface, and Archos are to be announcing their Android product in September too, and I wouldn't imagine them using the default UI.

What I'm hoping is that the companies are sensible with their modifications and do not break compatibility, I also hope that they're committed enough so that their phones are using up to date versions of Android so the Market doesn't end up fragmented with apps for different versions of everything.

Yup that's basically it.

Like I mentioned earlier, my requirements at the end of it all is a handset that has good battery life, records 720P video, plays back DIVX at the source's resolution (so no need to convert to lower res like on current models).

I think such a handset will come out later this year or at least be announced and it will be a handset I can keep for a long long time due to Android updates making things better :D

I cannot speak for eclair, but donut will only apply very subtle changes to the stock android interface so reflux will still wish he had the sene UI. Donut is more about the new SDK for devs and a few OS tweaks. Lets face it, the stock interface looks a bit dated next to the sense UI but google will not be changing the appearance of android for the magic.

What worries me the most is that the magic in this country is appaulingly underpowered and all HTC android devices use a measly 500mhz CPU. The problem being that when the new phones come out with 600Mhz + CPU's, devs will be making apps for the market which don't run well on the Magic or any of the first gen android phones. This is where the incompatibilities will lie, not in the OS's.

The problem being that when the new phones come out with 600Mhz + CPU's, devs will be making apps for the market which don't run well on the Magic or any of the first gen android phones. This is where the incompatibilities will lie, not in the OS's.
Surely they'll make apps which are compatible with existing android phones at least for a while otherwise they'll limit their target audience.

Damn man! all this Magic negativity makes me want to go emo :(

:p

...which is exactly wai we need the black Magic over here :D

vodafone_htc_magic_front.jpg

What worries me the most is that the magic in this country is appaulingly underpowered and all HTC android devices use a measly 500mhz CPU. The problem being that when the new phones come out with 600Mhz + CPU's, devs will be making apps for the market which don't run well on the Magic or any of the first gen android phones. This is where the incompatibilities will lie, not in the OS's.
Surely there's an app to overclock the Magic's processor? :p

...which is exactly wai we need the black Magic over here :D
Yuk! :eek:

Have to admit that im bored of my Magic now...when i first got it i couldnt put it down and my Blackberry Bold was relegated to second...but i just couldnt see my Bold being treated so harshly so for the past month or so ive been giving it some much needed love. Dunno why but my Bold just works perfectly without any lag...which my Magic seems to be doing quite a bit...have uninstalled a lot of apps that i had but wasnt using but yet still lagging...and the worst bit is that my accelerometer is no longer working:(...and because its not insured Vodafone have said theres not much they can do about it...

Contemplating on selling the Magic and just paying the rest of my contract off...its a 24mth contract and when i asked last week they said it would cost me around £500 to close the contract down.

Back
Top Bottom