***HTC Magic Thread***

After a month here are my thoughts with this phone.

Firstly this being my first touch phone I can say they probably aren't for me. The touch screen is quite responsive but it isn't perfect by any means, I miss having alphanumeric mechanical buttons!

The OS is very snappy and quick and a nice selection of apps can be found. Build quality is good.

My main gripe about the HTC magic is the ridiculous battery life. Forget using this thing for more than a day unless you hardly use it or switch to 2G mode. Bloody terrible! I thought the N95 8GB battery life was poor, this is something else. I am hoping a 3rd party company comes up with a higher capacity battery, but looking at the size of the battery compartment I am not holding out too much hope with that.

Anyone know of a free app that will pull your Facebook friend's photos in as contact photos? There are a couple of paid ones but since I can't buy any apps from the market (pulling Maestro support was a great idea, cheers OHA...) I'm a bit stuck.

Hi Spawn

If your phone has developed a fault and it is not through accidental/intentional/water damage then you will be covered by your warranty with us for 2 years from the date you go it.

You can see how to arrange a repair for this here. I'm sure when you get it back your Magic will be as captivating as it was when you first got it! ;)

Kirsty
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK

Thanks Kirsty ill give them a ring and see what they say...i might as well get it repaired as i have someone whos interested in buying the phone off me.

I'm back!

I'll finish off from where I was..........

Well the rumour is that HTC are going to be updating the Hero to make it speedier, I would imagine if they released Sense for the Magic it would have these same optimisations.

Please be aware that there are two versions of the magic and we have the low spec version. HTC will certainly not be optimizing their hero UI to work well on the vodafone magic as they are not legally aloud to! The HTC branded and non google branded magic devices from HTC have identical specs to the Hero and these are the versions which MIGHT get an update.

Can anyone recommend somewhere who sells them at reasonable prices for those who want one thats not tied to a contract?

red, blue, yellow, green (we're not aloud to tell you where!)

Be warned kirsty, mrk is a pro at making movies, he can spray accessories and can turn on the charm! There is no stopping this man which is why the magic keeps him quiet but busy! :D

:eek: Consider me warned! :p

Better give me more freebies in that case :p

Nice try mister! :D

Hi Kristy,
I was wondering if you could answer the following for me:
If somebody bought an HTC Magic second hand to use, what would the warranty situation with Vodafone/HTC be?
Cheers jmhduck

Hi jmhduck

When we sell a phone we give a 2 year warranty to the purchaser.

If you aren't buying the phone directly from ourselves and you're getting it second hand, you would still have a warranty with HTC. If you're getting it second hand make sure you're getting all the bits and pieces in the box as well. Off the top of my head I can't remember if it comes with a warranty slip in the manual that you would need for this.

Cheers

Kirsty
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK

Thanks for that Kristy ;).
Can anyone confirm that this will definitely work on my vodafone magic? It mentions older branded magic's like vodafones. My magic is quite new (firmware 1.5, build number CRC1) I just wanted to double check it was correct before rooting and possibly bricking it.

Those of us with Vodafone handsets are using the same build as you. When he mentions the older magics he means those with a 32b main board.

That process will work and I have used it to root mine.....................I MUST STRESS THAT THINGS CAN GO WRONG AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE.

Let me know how you get on and if you get stuck.

+ as Kirsty will tell you.......... if you brick the phone whilst attempting to root they will not honour the warranty. Make sure you make a backup of your current config and you'll be ok.

Last edited:
You can install apps from an SD card without root anyway, just use ASTRO or a similar app and apps can be installed that way from the SD.

Rooting enables root level access to the phone's OS, it's like an equivalent of elevated privileges in vista/7 I guess.

I think he means install apps to the SD card. You can do this with root so you can install many more apps (should you wish to).

ROOT is quite simple to explain really........... It gives you and your phone access to the files/folders and config settings on the phone memory, allowing you to edit and add to them. This way you can manually configure your phone, and apps which require root (Ie bluetooth transfer/wi-fi tethering) are able to access ROOT to work in ways HTC had not allowed them.

If you try to edit a file on the phone memory in astro without root you will find you are not allowed. Enable ROOT and you can do what you want.

Last edited:
Can someone help !

Ive lost the settings location for different vibrates..as in long, short two long vibrates etc !

Its doin my head in! :( Ive seen it somewhere cause I used it to set up what I got now !

so you're using chompsms or smspopup then? Just press menu button at the main screen of either app and select settings. then find the notification settings and your option is there.

I think he means install apps TO the SD card. You can do this with root so you can install many more apps (should you wish to).

ROOT is quite simple to explain really........... It gives you and your phone access to the files/folders and config settings on the phone memory, allowing you to edit and add to them. This way you can manually configure your phone, and apps which require root (Ie bluetooth transfer/wi-fi tethering) are able to access ROOT to work in ways HTC had not allowed them.

If you try to edit a file on the phone memory in astro without root you will find you are not allowed. Enable ROOT and you can do what you want.

Ah, thanks for the explanation :)

Re Bluetooth - does that mean full Bluetooth send and receive ability is available after rooting? Begs the question why on earth on a modern smartphone is it disabled by default!?

Ah, thanks for the explanation :)

Re Bluetooth - does that mean full Bluetooth send and receive ability is available after rooting? Begs the question why on earth on a modern smartphone is it disabled by default!?

Yes it works but it's a bit flakey. It doesn't need to be though...........HTC could easily enable it on the hardware that's in the phone but has not done so.....same goes for iphone.

Back
Top Bottom