***HTC Magic Thread***

Be interesting to see whats on the horizon with Vodafone. OK I have ~16 months left to run on my contract, but I'd like to know what upgrade is going to come to better the Magic!

Also; (I can check through my contract but atm am at work) does anyone know when Vodafone offer upgrades? Not had a contract with them before.

Be interesting to see whats on the horizon with Vodafone. OK I have ~16 months left to run on my contract, but I'd like to know what upgrade is going to come to better the Magic!

Also; (I can check through my contract but atm am at work) does anyone know when Vodafone offer upgrades? Not had a contract with them before.

Agreed, they only have around ten months to find a significantly better handset to offer those who grabbed the magic on launch.......And it will need to be android. I want something as sleek as the magic but with a physical keyboard.

Those of us with Vodafone handsets are using the same build as you. When he mentions the older magics he means those with a 32b main board.

That process will work and I have used it to root mine.
Right I've got to step 12 but when I enter adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img I get
error opening /sdcard/recovery-new.img: No such file or directoryAny ideas? The file is definately on the sd card...

Easy chaps, no need for better keyboard or the hassle of sticking a rom on. Just download this Zip file http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/htc_ime.zip and copy the HTC_IME.apk (ignore the .so file) onto the root of your SD card. Make sure you have ASTRO file manager installed and simply install the copied apk.

Then you can go to the Locale and text menu in settings and enable touch input to enable the new keyboard (this is completely reversable - you can turn it off or uninstall it to re-enable the original keyboard).

There are various settings and keyboard types to choose from (including T9 big key S60 style).

This apk is taken straight from the sense UI on the HTC hero and is a **** sight better than the original.

Enjoy!
I just tried this keyboard and tbh I was seriously unimpressed, sure it's better than the stock one on the Magic, but if you look on the Market for "TouchPal" they offer a keyboard replacement with T9, T9+ (2 letter per key) and qwerty that is much easier to use than the HTC one, as well as being much faster to run on a Magic, it has gestures as well for alternate characters, ie press the "." button with a small swipe down and you get a "," lets you type a lot faster than the HTC or stock keyboard.

Ok I take that back, I went back to it to give it a 2nd chance and enabled Cooltek T+ in portrait mode and OMG in vertical mode I can type just as fast as landscape full QWERTY mode on all the keyboards.

Me now likes..... :p

Ok I take that back, I went back to it to give it a 2nd chance and enabled Cooltek T+ in portrait mode and OMG in vertical mode I can type just as fast as landscape full QWERTY mode on all the keyboards.

Me now likes..... :p
I know, one handed typing in vertical mode is now a usable without having to use a finger or be really careful about where your thumb goes, took me a little while to get used to it but I absolutely love it now.

I just realised you can (in Cooltek T+ mode) swipe a key to get the secondary/third key :O

Eg:

The C/V/! key, If I want C I simply tap hold C and swipe my finger left for C, swipe right for V or swipe down for ! - simply amazing :D

I might need to do a video on this app and put it on youtube, got lots of comments on some other videos heh :p

Someone called me sad on youtube for the dramatic fall recreation video though :(

Back
Top Bottom