Huel: The Future of Food ..

Man of Honour
Not saying it doesn't do what it's supposed to but why would you deliberately remove one of the biggest pleasures in life...actual food!

Not everyone views food as a pleasure, there are plenty of people who view it purely as fuel and nothing else.
It's a view I wish I could take sometimes!

Soldato
OP
I train and use this stuff so I can properly enjoy my food when the time comes! What's the point in being bad for something not that great? When it's time to get my eat on I go to town and mow through a starter, two main courses and an entire cheese cake :)

Soldato
There's 150g of protein per 2000 calories and the macro split is 30/30/40
It's vegan and pretty much gluten free (there's some oats) for those that care about that stuff.

I'm not vegan, I don't have food intolerances and I don't intend to live solely on pouches with no real food. So that is all I need to know.

Micro-nutrients are in my balanced diet
I'm not lactose or gluten intolerant

So if I just want a balanced convenient meal while I'm out an about - drink milk. It does the same and is available everywhere cheaply and without preparation. It isn't a choice between pills and powders or hours in the kitchen.

I guess the plus for these are you can live off it entirely, so you can (safely) remove so many choices from your daily life. If you struggle for diet because you make bad choices this is a big positive.

Associate
I'm currently triathlon training and I've been using this to get some ok calories in me instead of raiding the vending machine at work.

I understand that it's not as good as real food but I'm not motivated enough to prepare meals in advance so when I'm training twice a day and know that I won't have time/facilities to make something proper, I have one.

Soldato
Remember reading about Soylent some time back so guess someone finally made a UK offering. Can't say I have been having problems with my diet but been toying with an idea of going vegetarian for a few weeks just to see if I feel a difference. Prepping all that food was never an appealing aspect though so may invest in a few weeks supply of this at some point in the next few months just to see how I feel without meat :eek:

Permabanned
Going to be giving this a try over the next month or few. Starting back up at the gym again this week too so between that and huel hopefully i can lose the weight i've put on recently.

I've always been able to eat what i want and not put on weight but since being in hospital last year that went out the window and i suddenly have a gut and moobs! Not a good feeling lol. Probably a combination of being pretty sedentary for 5 months, eating more junk food and stopping vaping at the same time leading to me eating way more often between meals. It was pretty minor surgery but i think i just had it in my head that i had to take it really easy for a while as it was lung related, i seem to have taken it too easy :p

I'll keep track of everything including how i feel just eating huel and make a post at some point.

Associate
I ordered some of this last week and have been trying it since Monday. I'm not on it 100% and not sure I ever will(enjoy food too much) but it's certainly very useful as a quick breakfast on the go or to add to a light evening meal.

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment and I'm also trying to figure out what triggers my IBS. So far this Huel stuff seems a pretty safe food for me, which is great.

Although I can cook and enjoy cooking, it's the planning I struggle with. So if I can use something like Huel when I have no meal planned or if I'm in a hurry then this makes calorie counting much easier. Plus I know I'm getting a decent meal in terms of nutrition.

Permabanned
I've been using it for 2 weeks now. Weighing myself after a pee in the morning i've went from 76KG to 72.4KG in that time which i know probably doesn't sound much to some of you but i'm only 5'7" and thin boned so a good couple of stone overweight. Roughly dropping 1.8KG per week which is nice to see going down rather than up for a change. Probably mostly water so far but it's a start.

It's not just eating it that's doing it though it's the routine, apart from one night i've cut out all alcohol and almost cut out snacks (have had 3 grab bags of walkers sensations in that time). Before i'd eat all day long and would easily go through 20-30 units of alcohol a week.

I have 3 months worth stocked up to make sure i'll stick to it. After that hopefully it will have got me in the habit of automatically balancing my calories eaten and used. Previously i'd happily munch on 2 grab bags of doritos and a whole cheesecake in the evening and whatever other snacks during the day without thinking about it other than mentally (wrongly) cancelling them out because i'd be on the treadmill in the morning.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried this for a month but did not see much impact really I worked out I need about 2200 calories a day to lose a pound a week in weight.

Im stuck at around 15 stone at the moment and cant seem to break it I have done treadmill running for hour and 20 minutes three times a week. I tried to up the cardio usually I do about 50 minutes and call it a day but whatever I seem to do I cant break the 15 stone barrier.

Associate
It may be worth keeping a track of fat to muscle % instead of just weight. My girlfriend looks at her weight and gets disheartened as she isn't dropping, but her fat is and her muscle is going up. So you may not be losing weight, but I would imagine fat % is moving.

Man of Honour
I tried this for a month but did not see much impact really I worked out I need about 2200 calories a day to lose a pound a week in weight.

Im stuck at around 15 stone at the moment and cant seem to break it I have done treadmill running for hour and 20 minutes three times a week. I tried to up the cardio usually I do about 50 minutes and call it a day but whatever I seem to do I cant break the 15 stone barrier.

It's not magic it's just food, if you're still eating too much to lose weight then taking in the same amount of kcals in this stuff won't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom