Huel: The Future of Food ..

Associate
I've been having it for lunch of a couple of months now, unsweetened with some instant hot chocolate mixed in. It's nice and convenient, isn't too bad taste wise, and I don't end up feeling bloated/heavy in the afternoon as I do with normal food. The vitamins are a bonus.

Haven't tried the vanilla though, not a fan of vanilla. Keep meaning to try some berries blended up in it.

Soldato
Still on it although i stopped using it to lose weight and instead use it to make sure i'm eating healthy. Every day i use it for at least breakfast first thing in the morning and then again at ~10-11am. After that it depends on what i feel like, usually i'll have it again for lunch and dinner but some days i'm just not in the mood or am eating in company so eat a proper meal.

Can't really say how much the using it to eat healthy part is benefiting me as i've changed other parts of my life to be much healthier now too.

It does get really boring eating it though.

Thanks, will give it a go, ordered some from Amzon earlier.

How much do you have a day? Am I right in thinking 100g Huel is 400 calories?

Permabanned
Thanks, will give it a go, ordered some from Amzon earlier.

How much do you have a day? Am I right in thinking 100g Huel is 400 calories?

Just depends, if i'm on a full huel day i'm eating about 2-2500 calories worth depending on if i've been to the gym or not.

About that yeah
Three level scoops of Huel is 114g = 467 calories (vanilla); 482 calories (unflavoured/unsweetened), a small meal (a Tesco Chicken and Bacon Sandwich is 445 calories)
Your best bet it to weigh instead of using the scoops if you are counting calories. One scoop is never the same as the next.

Soldato
Just depends, if i'm on a full huel day i'm eating about 2-2500 calories worth depending on if i've been to the gym or not.

About that yeah

Your best bet it to weigh instead of using the scoops if you are counting calories. One scoop is never the same as the next.

Cheers

I like it, I had 2 lots yesterday (weighed), today I've had nothing but Huel so far, feel full. So far so good.

Soldato
Day 7 on the Huel. I have 2 x 3 scoops a day, one for breakfast and one about 2pm. I then have a good dinner with meat and plenty of veg. They have version 2.0 out now also.

Permabanned
Is anyone still using this? I have been using Huel v1.2 for the past few months and thought it was great. Was planning to continue use with the new v2.0 but after reading into some of the changes they've made and their justifications for doing so to be honest I'm very concerned and have lost faith in the company.

The main change that concerns me is the increased the amount of salt.
On their overview for the changes in v2.0 they state they added sea-salt to help maintain adequate salt intake. When quizzed about the increase in salt on the forums the co-founder stated it was to bring salt above minimum intake. Another Huel employee stated it was increased because previously it was below EU reference intake.

With v2.0, assuming you consume 2000kcal of Huel and nothing else (Which is a low amount of calories for a male let alone an active male), you are getting 6.4g of salt. The EU reference intake is 6g. So that's about the right amount of salt right? Wrong.

EU reference intake denotes MAXIMUM recommended intake, not IDEAL or MINIMUM intake. So you're 0.4g over the EU recommended MAXIMUM, which is widely considered too high. The WHO recommended maximum is 5g, so you'd be 1.4g over that. Again this is assuming a 2000kcal consumption of Huel and nothing else, which isn't a lot, yet you're still well over recommended MAXIMUMS for salt.

It's almost like they've misunderstood what the EU reference intake actually means, mistaking it for ideal or minimum intake rather than maximum, which is just astonishing.

I'm yet to see any explanation from them for the increase in salt that makes any sense whatsoever so I can only assume they've messed up big time. The co-founder has stated they will be revising the salt content in v2.1, which again seems to indicate they messed up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst I don't use HUEL I do feel your pain regarding salt intake.

It's been much harder getting my salt intake down to a reasonable level (and nigh impossible if I'm out for a meal) previously some of my favourite "meals" (looking at you pizza) would bring me over my daily limit on their own.

A lot of smart choices and switches later and I'm sitting around 5g most days :)

Why on earth they would up the salt content is beyond me.

Associate
I'm still using it for lunch. Had my first V2 the other week and it was awful, the consistency was very different and almost undrinkable. From discussing on the forums it seems there may be a bad batch, waiting to hear back from Huel.

Their reasoning over the salt though does make me question the company, and yes they definitely messed up there. Good to see they will be reviewing it, was quite shocking when someone compared how many packets of ready salted walkers crisps you'd have to eat to match it!

Man of Honour
Does anyone know any meal replacement that have higher density energy. Most including huel are all around 4calories per gram, are there any high fat ones which pack more like 6calories per gram.

Soldato
I have one shake with 114g in the morning, every other day I'll have another 114g at lunchtime also, with a healthy meal for dinner and fruit for snacks.

I cant say I noticed any difference between v1.2 and v2.0 with regards to consistency. I love the Vanilla, I tried the unflavoured Huel with the Toffee and Rhubard & Crumble flavours, didn't like either of them.

I changed my diet in March and lost 2 stone, I hit my ideal weight and feel so much better, Huel may have something to do with this but I suspect a healthly diet and cutting out all that crap is the main reason :p

Caporegime
one thing i'd like is to try an make a flapjack of it.

but dont want to throw off the balance.

need to find some non nutritional binding agent instead of syrup or butter.

btw does anyone else gety acid reflux after drinking these? i;ve started too. so now have a gaviscon chewable just before i drink it.

Man of Honour
one thing i'd like is to try an make a flapjack of it.

but dont want to throw off the balance.

need to find some non nutritional binding agent instead of syrup or butter.

btw does anyone else gety acid reflux after drinking these? i;ve started too. so now have a gaviscon chewable just before i drink it.

Try vitafiber.

I did when I used it, makes drinking it a chore in the end.

Back
Top Bottom