Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
They do pre mixed drinks you can buy, but that's obviously an expensive way of doing it.

The easy way of imagining it is it's a bit like a smooth plain porridge in texture and taste, unless you get the flavoured versions or add your own additional ingredients.

It's perfectly paletable unless you're a really fussy eater.

That's how i describe it. Porridge, i love Original Huel with just water not just palatable but enjoyable.

Soldato
I started on Huel today. My current plan is to simply replace my evening meal. I like the idea of ease and simplicity of it. I tried my first this morning as breakfast, but it simply wasn't filling enough. At work I don't eat until 1:15 and by 12 I was starving! Before this I would have had a bowl of porridge and a bowl of cereal a little later and that gets me through. I don't need as much in the evening, so I'm thinking maybe even just 2 scoops to get me through.

Are there any tips that everyone knows that I should know as a Huel noob? (Sorry, I've not read the whole thread, just this page)

Soldato
I started on Huel today. My current plan is to simply replace my evening meal. I like the idea of ease and simplicity of it. I tried my first this morning as breakfast, but it simply wasn't filling enough. At work I don't eat until 1:15 and by 12 I was starving! Before this I would have had a bowl of porridge and a bowl of cereal a little later and that gets me through. I don't need as much in the evening, so I'm thinking maybe even just 2 scoops to get me through.

Are there any tips that everyone knows that I should know as a Huel noob? (Sorry, I've not read the whole thread, just this page)
Make it well ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. The fridge really improves the texture.

maj

maj

Soldato
Would this be suitable for someone wanting to put more weight on? I don't think I get enough protein in my diet and this could be an easy way to achieve that. Hopefully this fills me up more as I tend to be hungry again not longer after I've eaten but this could be more due to what I eat. Was thinking of replacing my lunch with this and having an evening meal as normal.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It does not matter.

Eat more calories than you burn and you will put weight on...... so yes

3 scoops is 500 calories.

Personally i cant eat first thing in a morning its just coffee till around 10 then a bowl of porridge till 12:30 then 3 scoops of huel for lunch. 2 scoops an hr before whatever training is planned then another 2scoops and protein powder with frozen fruit after the workout.

Sat at a desk all day so not really eating the calories back from training as also losing weight. Just have a healthy cheat day on saturday,unless a race is but then i up my huel to 15scoops a day to load up 2 days before.

Huel works for me, i actually feel and train better when i use it, rather real food.

Soldato
I recently bought Huel in an attempt to control calorie intake whilst introducing a gym session 3 days a week.

I don't know why but Huel makes me ill. I have two scoops with a little coffee, a little milk and a banana.

First couple of bottles were fine but 3rd one and in the afternoon felt ill and this continued for the rest of the week. Stopped the Huel but every time I ate I felt nauseous.

I didn't eat anything else untowards so it was definitely the Huel.

Soldato
I recently bought Huel in an attempt to control calorie intake whilst introducing a gym session 3 days a week.

I don't know why but Huel makes me ill. I have two scoops with a little coffee, a little milk and a banana.

First couple of bottles were fine but 3rd one and in the afternoon felt ill and this continued for the rest of the week. Stopped the Huel but every time I ate I felt nauseous.

I didn't eat anything else untowards so it was definitely the Huel.

Not even sure whats in it that could possibly make you I'll.
I feel no different using huel but it's similar to my diet anyway.

Associate
Does anyone know if you can order your subscription before the due date, if that makes sense?

I've just been 'subscribing' and then either cancelling or just setting it for as long as possible and just repeating the process when I need some. Just a bit of a faff cancelling then resubscribing, I'd rather just keep the subscription and be able to order it again instantly.

Man of Honour
Anyone want some referral links?

What’s the deal with this stuff anyway? Loads of people at work seem to be downing the stuff - you know, in addition to the usual lunch, cakes, bacon rolls etc...

Associate
@UnworthyBean
You can edit an existing subscription. Login and find your sub, under / beside the details is an edit and skip text / link. Change the date frequency etc. and hit save.

I've found things like this become fads in the offices I've worked. The same thing happened with online butchers such as Muscle Food. Those that do sports use them and others start to take notice.

I'm still having Huel for breakfast and lunch at work. Provides the flexibility in timings I need while still eating well.

Soldato
Has anyone tried either chocolate, mint chocolate or berry flavours please?

And also what consistency (how thick) is it when mixed and is it lumpy? What volume of liquid does one huel meal mix to?

The only flavour ive ever really liked in protein powder is strawberry. i like chocolate normally but find chocolate flavoured protein powders too sickly. How similar to the consistency and taste of protein powders is huel?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have the chocolate mint, it’s not sickly at all. It’s kind of like drinking a mint Wispa. I mix it in a Nutribullet and then leave it in the fridge to thicken up as otherwise it will be quite watery. I just use the medium Nutri beaker filled to the line with water and 2 or 3 scoops of Huel.

Soldato
I don't find any of the flavours particularly strong and the Min Choc & Berry smell stronger of the flavour if anything. I've tried Choc & Coffee flavours and didn't like either myself and mixed them with vanilla to use up the bags. So Vanilla, Mint Choc & Berry are the only ones I like personally order now.

Standard recommended mix is 400 ml + 3 scoops, mix and then another ~200 ml of water.

I use 250 ml of unsweetened Almond milk + water to enhance the already quite smooth texture if well mixed (hand blender) and if left to stand in the fridge. It can almost set if mixed too thick so shake well after removing from the fridge if that happens. Adjust to suit basically.

You could order orig. or van. and a flavour sample pack to get an idea.

Soldato
I've ordered 2 sets of 2 bags, 1x vanilla each time, 1 with chocolate and 1 with berry. The berry is ok. I have that at home and add fruit to it to jazz it up a bit. Vanilla is nice on its own, or a good base to add the other flavour boosts too (or your own flavours). I'm on the chocolate at work at the moment. It's nice, not too chocolately (ie sickly) and goes down well still.

Soldato
Has anyone tried either chocolate, mint chocolate or berry flavours please?

And also what consistency (how thick) is it when mixed and is it lumpy? What volume of liquid does one huel meal mix to?

The only flavour ive ever really liked in protein powder is strawberry. i like chocolate normally but find chocolate flavoured protein powders too sickly. How similar to the consistency and taste of protein powders is huel?

It's not lumpy if you shake it properly with the mesh screen thing that's in the shaker.
I put water in the shaker first then 2 or 3 scoops of huel.
It can be as thick or thin as you want it according to preference... Just use more or less water.. For a light lunch I have 2 scoops with about 400-500ml water.

It's more like lightly flavoured porridge than a protein shake, certainly no where near as sweet as some protein /body building shakes, but it depends exactly what protein shake you're comparing it to, maximuscule for example is quite plain but some other brands are super sweet.
Rember though, whilst huel is quite high in protein, it's not really comparable nutrition wise as huel is designed to be more of a complete balanced meal with fats carbs protein and vitamins, rather than simply a protein suppliment or a calorie booster.
The idea is you use the appropriate number of scoops according to your calorific requirements, and you don't have to worry about balance as it's nutritionally complete..

... So it's perfect as a lunch replacement for example, you know you're getting a good balance of nutrients without having to think about it.

Soldato
Im thinking of using it for breakfast as thats the meal i most struggle with. As a breakfast, the berry flavour im thinking would be the most paletable. Ill need to chug it back quickly though. If it tastes like the red innocent smoothie that would be ok.

Soldato
Im thinking of using it for breakfast as thats the meal i most struggle with. As a breakfast, the berry flavour im thinking would be the most paletable. Ill need to chug it back quickly though. If it tastes like the red innocent smoothie that would be ok.

It tastes much more like porridge than an innocent smoothie, which are super sweet and very sugary.. (you could always add sugar or other flavours if you want, I suppose).

I'd guess in your scenario, for breakfast, I'd make it quite watery so you can chug it down quick rather than sip it. 500ml water with 2 scoops would be a ~300 calorie breakfast and you could pretty much down it in one.

Soldato
Does the berry one still taste like porridge?

Could I potentially mix it with innocent smoothie red to get that more intense flavour to mask the natural flavour? Innocent smoothie is already fairly thick in consistency though.

Back
Top Bottom