Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
If you chow it down right after blending, then you're swallowing a whole load of gas mixed in with the liquid, no surprise you get the farts.

Tastes better when it's been sat for a while too.

Soldato
If they’re so bad, how comes they’re medically prescribed to aid ill patients with nutrition?
Ask the person who prescribed it. Guessing it's a pure energy and vitamins diet. It does the job and probably cheap.

Would you eat a diet that consisted of 39% sugar.

Associate
Ok,
Are they basically the same thing as Huel?
No they are very different from Huel due to multiple reasons.

a) Ingredients.
- Maltodextrin. A complex carbohydrate with very high GI (85). This means that it will have high impact in your blood glucose that will cause a rapid increase (basically similar to sugar and the opposite to a complex carb). On top of that, it is just a processed ingredients that only gives you carbs. Huel and other brands tend to use oats or similar, which are a matrix of nutrients. They contain complex carbs, protein, fat, and vit&minerals. Why do they use Malto? It is more soluble, makes for thinner shakes (easier to drink), doesn't have taste (unlike oats), it is very energy efficient, it is cheap.
-Sugar. 19g per 350 serving (well over the recommended) You will not often find this on Huel or other shakes, since they try to keep sugar at a minimum.
-Corn oil. Not a great source of fats.

b) Objective of the shakes.
Ensure and similar products tend to put taste over nutrition (higher likelihood of people sticking to it).

Probably just trying to get maximum calories into you so you don't lose weight while you're ill. Sick people often have poor appetite and don't eat enough.

This is a very good point.

c) Different market.

As pointed above by Steampunk; I think both brands target different audiences. Looking at Ensure products, they are all 200-350kcal ready to drink shakes. Huel's serving is 400kcal and it comes in powder (yes, there is an RTD product too, but the main is powder). You need 5 Huel's to reach 2,000kcal ("average" person recommended intake). With Ensure you will need a bunch more.

I feel like the last two points I've made are a little more abstract, but I hope you understand the gist of it.

Soldato
That's the way i see it as well.
Huel is food.
The prescription stuff is energy, my mother in law has them for throat cancer, she can't really swallow anything with texture and despises eating now so it basically keeps her alive.
Huel would be preferable but she wouldn't cope with it.

Soldato
There’s a new version of Huel being released in December or so by the looks of the email I received from them. v3.0. Also comes with a price hike of about 10-15%. Meh.

Soldato
I've started looking at some Huel alternatives, just in case...
Just incase what. They are definitely bringing V3 out and all are going up in price.
Only original will remain at v2.3 and stay at its current price. Great for me it's the only flavour I get now.

Soldato
There’s a new version of Huel being released in December or so by the looks of the email I received from them. v3.0. Also comes with a price hike of about 10-15%. Meh.

UK Huel was way cheap, think yourself lucky it's taken this long for the prices to rise.

I was paying the euro equivalent of 50 GBP for two bags in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom