Huel: The Future of Food ..

Caporegime
Can anyone share some prep tips for Huel black? I've not used it for a while but am starting again and would like to know 1) the best Huel > water ratio and 2) how to get it as smooth as possible. I've got a bullet blender so can make use of that. I'm aiming for ~400cal/serving so 90g of power... how much water for a decent consistency without creating porridge? :)

I like mine a bit more liquidy so I can drink it rather than chew it so for 90g Huel Black, I use 600ml cold water.

Soldato
good podcast

Protein: power in powder?​

The Food Programme
Jaega Wise investigates the hype around protein supplements. Do they work? Are they healthy and how much protein do we need
She visits a factory where they make Form Protein – a more upmarket, vegan supplement.

We hear from Professor Stuart Phillips on the effectiveness of protein supplements and Dietitian Dr Linia Patel on the Refence Nutrient Intake – the amount of protein we are recommended to have every day.

Soldato
I just ordered some Huel Black Edition, not had it before and looking forward to it. Feels sore dropping £57 on two pouches but breaking it down to £1.87'ish per meal makes it feel less "eeekkk, what did I just do!"

Associate
My partner and I have used Huel for at least one meal a day for a couple of years now, nice and easy. I'll sometimes have one of the ready to drink shakes for lunch if I've been to the gym, just to save time. The Hot and Savoury line is a nice change too.

Associate
I'd say it also depends on how much you enjoy it. I can easily have it as my only food source, although it's far nicer to have at least one "normal" meal.

I normally have it for breakfast / lunch though.

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried selection of stuff recently and The salted caramel and Strawberry black edition I really liked on first taste but can't stand the after taste of these. I kind of cured it by putting one piece of small fruit in when I blend. A frozen strawberry etc. I like mine a bit thicker so use 400-450ml as I found the 500ml+ too much. I also tried the ready to drink one but I miss the 'bits'. Taste is better but I feel like I'm not getting anything other than a milkshake. I only really use it for a quick lunch to get away from eating sandwiches. The hot and savoury stuff I'm not sold on yet after trying a couple. Microwave seems to work much better for me than the pot noodle method.

Soldato
I've been using Huel to lose weight recently. Down 4kg in 2.5 months at the moment.

Been using intermittent fasting, so only having coffee in the morning, then a Huel around 1-2pm. One scoop of huel, two of protein, and a handful of frozen fruit to chill it, as texture and flavour, then maybe a snack early evening, and dinner in the evening.

Completely cut out drinking too though, which has helped massively in keeping the calories down.

Soldato
Can Huel be used as an additional meal, as I want to gain weight but struggle to get the calories in through solid foods alone.
No, sorry. I'm fairly sure it's a 'meal replacement'. Having as an extra meal could be fatal.

/sarcasm

On a (semi) serious note, why would you not be able to have it outside of meal time? Or after you've eaten something else? Maybe I'm missing something?

Soldato
I switched off Huel to Protein Works meal replacement, this stuff is so much smoother and while artificial tasting it's the good kind of artificial, the Strawberry & Cream tastes like Angel Delight, I actually look forward to the next replaced meal and keeps me full for abit longer than Huel, it's cheaper too, works out about £1.20 a meal if you do 2 scoops but I'm on a weight loss plan so only doing 1 scoop

Associate
GOT ONE NOW THANKS

Does anyone have a referral link I can use its a easy £10 for you and me.
But the site also needs your full name and email address for it to work.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom