Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
I honk it's probably safe to assume that many who choose to rely on Huel to provide a food source with good nutritional content, then no, their regular diet probably couldn't be classed as good clean stuff.

Man of Honour
But "normal" food in itself is clean and good, which was not what was inferred. Anyway, this is just an alternative to food, the only positive is the lack of killing of animals, and the fact it is more sustainable and it does provide a reasonable array of nutrition.

If you have a good diet then there's no need for Huel, though I 100% agree on the convenience factor and the ethical reasons behind it. It makes total sense. I have got some Huel, and I maybe use it once a week when I am really pushed for time through bad planning/prep on my behalf. It's okay, but it'll never replace food in the short term for me. I enjoying preparing food and eating too much! :)

Soldato
OP
I honk it's probably safe to assume that many who choose to rely on Huel to provide a food source with good nutritional content, then no, their regular diet probably couldn't be classed as good clean stuff.

Pretty much. It's why I use it. Even when I was eating relatively clean - mostly chicken, tuna, brown rice, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, broccoli etc - I wasn't getting the nutrients Huel offers and, most importantly, the consistency. I'd do a big meal prep on Sunday, have a good week and then, due to whatever reason, balls it up the following. With Huel, bar two holidays, I've a solid year of consistent, good eating. It's been worth it just for the gains.

Soldato
Oddly I guess the main reason I use Huel is salt. I don't keep salt at home as I'm terrible with it, put loads on everything.

So having Huel at work for late breakfast and lunch = no added salt. Also I was eating so much rubbish at work and covering it with salt... I can have Huel at my desk and rather than sat eating rubbish at lunchtime I go for a 3 mile walk.

* No salt
* Saves me money on what I was spending at work ~ £7/day
* Convenience of it means I can get out the office and get some exercise

I cook a decent meal in the evening to get the veg etc and find that I now really look forward to this meal, the cooking of and of course the eating.

So it works for me and I like the flavour! :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not suggesting it isn't good or convenient. But it is very easy to get the nutrition you need from food. But I admit Huel is very very easy and isn't bad tasting. Like I said I use it too when I'm having bad days or when I'm time poor.

It's great if you don't have the self discipline to eat properly, or watch your salt intake (for example). Not having the discipline is obviously something that could be addressed, but whilst you're not fixing the root cause, you're still doing something about it, and it is commendable and for that you should be proud, and keep at it. :)

I'm not suggesting ditching Huel either. I don't get the "gains" you'd get on Huel, as it's just food. However, if it means you're eating less, therefore leaning out, then great! :)

I like Huel, I think the concept and the execution is good. And it does work out as marginally cheaper (if bought in bulk) than preparing your own food, and it is quicker. So it is a win win. I'm not denying that at all. It's a great product.

Just not one that will revolutionise MY diet/lifestyle as it is pretty well set up and I actually enjoy it. However I can see why people have made the switch.

In the long term it is probably ecologically speaking the right thing to be doing. However, for now, regular food is too engrained in my lifestyle for me to not have it. Ethically, we should be embracing things like Huel more though - but it's like trying to give up my gas guzzling car... I know I should, but it just brings too much joy to do so!

Suspended
Was that 100% just had my breakfast. tossed some berries in the blender, it was OK but i preferred it plain vanilla i thought.

No, just breakfast and lunch. Some days I'd have the one afternoon scoop if not too busy, but most not. Then whatever dinner my wife or I made. Absolutely no snacking over and above that. No exercise either.

I'm going to try to get back on my bike on the turbo trainer for some spinning, which should help also.

Soldato
They've been... potent :p

I must admit, it's only been 24 hours without solid food and I am already craving an Indian. Doesn't help that I get a Take-away most weekends :(

Soldato
so day 3 - or 2nd 100% day. I impressed myself last night, the want for something bad was sky high and there is no shortage to bad snacks in my house that I could've had.

But I just made a 2 scoop shake had that and it quenched my need for something to be in my belly buy i still just wanted to devour 20 nuggets or something of that calibre. I hope it gets easier.

edit:

Has anyone felt being really tired when moving to huel? I'm guessing it's because I'm having a lot less sugar but I'm not sure. Just knackered and I went to bed at 12 last night which is relatively early for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's great if you don't have the self discipline to eat properly, or watch your salt intake (for example). Not having the discipline is obviously something that could be addressed, but whilst you're not fixing the root cause, you're still doing something about it, and it is commendable and for that you should be proud, and keep at it. :)

We don't all have your willpower :p I wish I did. I'm still preparing evening meals (and still begrudge the time it takes to do that and wash up etc!) and enjoying normal food. You're right though - it would be better to prep each meal, but it's too much for me to do consistently. And, thinking about it, even if I had my own chef and cleaner and some go guy to go out and buy everything, i'd still use Huel as my post workout. Beats protein shakes all day long!

Soldato
I should weigh myself but my current scales are broken. To be honest it's not my weight I'm worried about, more so my belly and love handles.

Going to the gym tonight for the first time in about 5 months. This should be interesting.

If I'm using mostly huel for my diet, what should I do about a protein shake? Still have a massive tub of PHD ISO 7 but no idea when to use it in conjunction with huel.

Man of Honour
Huel is already protein heavy so on a 2000kcal a day diet using purely Huel you'll already be getting nearly 150g of protein which is more than enough, no need to supplement anymore.

Man of Honour
We don't all have your willpower :p I wish I did. I'm still preparing evening meals (and still begrudge the time it takes to do that and wash up etc!) and enjoying normal food. You're right though - it would be better to prep each meal, but it's too much for me to do consistently. And, thinking about it, even if I had my own chef and cleaner and some go guy to go out and buy everything, i'd still use Huel as my post workout. Beats protein shakes all day long!

To be honest, I'm a bit more time poor than I used to be, so I may well rely on Huel more. I just don't enjoy it as much as I do food. I still try and do mass meal preps - in fact slow cookers have basically rescued me from that. 30 mins or so to get all the ingredients together, then fire and forget!

But Huel is a good alternative, and to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with it if it fixes people's diets and provides decent nutrition. :)

Soldato
OP
If I'm using mostly huel for my diet, what should I do about a protein shake? Still have a massive tub of PHD ISO 7 but no idea when to use it in conjunction with huel.

Like tom_e said - you get more than enough protein with Huel and shouldn't need to supplment. Ditching protein shakes entirely was a side benefit for me. Having said that, mixing protein shakes and Huel works well and is a good way to add flavour. When cutting on carbs, swapping a scoop of Huel for protein powder works.

in fact slow cookers have basically rescued me from that. 30 mins or so to get all the ingredients together, then fire and forget!

Good call. I bought one a while back and it's still sitting in the box. Hueling for breakfast, pre/post workout, and getting home for a ready, slow cooked meal greatly appeals to my lazy side!

Back
Top Bottom