Humankind - Amplitude Studio's take on Civilization

Associate
Its more of a step sideways than a step forward, as I say theres enough different about it that it can comfortably sit alongside Civ but Civ is (imo) undoubtedly still the no.1 in historical 4x games.

Humankind and Old World will at least give the Civ development team some competition and probably a whole host of ideas to steal…. er… incorporate…

From the reviews and limited playing of humankind, fans of Civ style 4x might get more joy from Old World than Humankind?

Caporegime
77% is a pretty good score to be fair, that's really an 8/10. Since when has 8/10 been a score were someone isn't to impressed.

Not when you remember that the review score is basically 5-10

Less than 5 doesn't exist so a 7 is more like 5/10 on a full scale.

It needs some ui work tbh it's hard to find what's useful

Soldato
Been playing this most of the day and yeah time disappears, not run into any major bugs atm.

One of the biggest disappointments is cant kill off a rival civilization without some very specific civics from what I have read so a bit of a let down on that front.

My current game I have about 200 turns left but looking at fame 1st place is double what I have in 2nd so no idea how they got that far ahead, but means I am un likely to win the game since its most fame wins, but will keep playing to learn some more etc.

Man of Honour
My current game I have about 200 turns left but looking at fame 1st place is double what I have in 2nd so no idea how they got that far ahead, but means I am un likely to win the game since its most fame wins, but will keep playing to learn some more etc.

Yeah the win conditions are one of my biggest issues with the game. In Civ, you can get a military victory , a science victory, a diplomatic victory etc etc, which all means that when you are losing in some fashion you can turn it around and turn a losing situation into a win by chasing one of the other win conditions. With Humankind though, its only a fame score win condition which means that when you are way out in front you cant be caught and when you are way behind you cant catch up, which results in a game that you know is already over many dozens of turns before you reach the end.

Associate
I've played it so 1hr last night and a further 30 minutes today, Unfortunately it's not hooking me at all . Should have guessed really as I never truly got into Endless Legends or Endless Space either)
I've requested a refund which is a pity as CIV 6 is the game I have the most gametime on on Steam (Civ 4 + 5 come close) and I was hoping this would give an alternative view.
Disappointing

Associate
Same as others been playing a few hours and just not sure if it's good or not, I love the civ games and they are my most played games on steam.Just makes me want to reinstall civ again. Have it on gamepass so no extra money spent on it.

Soldato
I've always felt that game reviews have been skewed with 7/10 being the midway mark instead of 5.

This is completely true they're meaningless because nothing every gets worse than 6 unless it is utter trash, if it functions its enough to get a 7, many average games are 8 and 9. "Official" reviewers of games have too much to lose with adevrtising, and are too cosy with devs/publishers to be taken seriously.

Caporegime
OK second run through I made a more island's map woth lots of hills and chaotic it's much more fun as there's choke points everywhere.

Focus influence just pick whatever gets you influence.

Have all the scouts you can on auo explore the regenerating curiosities are like anomalies in gal civ free money, troops and influence and science.

I am now the Romans but the special ability seems broken? It's meant to instantly anex an outpost or city but it does nothing.

I select army select the power it says pick a city or outpost I tried left click and right click and it just deselect the power?

I tried it on cities and outposts I hadn't captured and ones I already occupied.

Nothing :confused:

Caporegime
This is completely true they're meaningless because nothing every gets worse than 6 unless it is utter trash, if it functions its enough to get a 7, many average games are 8 and 9. "Official" reviewers of games have too much to lose with adevrtising, and are too cosy with devs/publishers to be taken seriously.

Or they gave a game an 8 5 years ago so any game that's better has to have higher? Even if that game isn't very good any more

Caporegime
How can you win this in 600 turns on the longest game length? I spend about 60 or 70 turns in the neolithic era alone lol.

Yeah given how long it's taken me to get to the Frank's either the next few ages go super fast or "unknown" is going to win.

This second time round I'm making 260+ influence a turn and bought 2 minor civs auto explore built all my armies or I bought them from mior civs.

Beating someone by war is a bit tedious because its base on war score.

So one city per war or so. By deliberately provoking them as expansionist by trespassing seems an easier way to start war

Anyone actually using the manual battle or just auto?

Caporegime
Taking over the neutral minor cvis is hilarious.

I found 3 in the North that had largely been left alone.

I've acquired 2 hrough bribery, they have 17 districts each!

I'm not saving thw 13k influence to merge them then I will aquire the 3rd and merge that and make megacity 1!

Population 4!

Associate
I'm finding that in almost every game I play one of the A.I players blobs early on. Which pretty much forces your hand to wage war against them before they build up an unassailable tech/fame advantage. Part of the issue appears to be the way the game "seeds" players at the start of the game in the Neoliothic age. I've yet to play a game where there wasn't at least 2 other A.I players on the same starting continent as me, meanwhile the other 2-3 A.I players have two large land masses all to themselves, with no way to peg them back until at least the third era when sailing becomes available and allows travel across deep water. For reference, this is on a "normal" sized map with 6 players. Also, in the Neolithic age the A.I players see through the fog of war and make a bee-line for all the goodie huts etc quickly propelling them to the Ancient era ... makes it near impossible for the human player to grab some of the early civs etc. The partial "fix" to the last problem is to switch your scouts to "auto-explore", that way your units get the benefit of the "all-seeing" A.I.

Caporegime
Been looking at this closely but have a horrible feeling I'll just go meh after a few days and play civ.

Has it got coop Vs ability cos then me and the gf will probably get it for that, well at least a better reason to try it.

Back
Top Bottom