Humankind - Amplitude Studio's take on Civilization

Associate
Been looking at this closely but have a horrible feeling I'll just go meh after a few days and play civ.

Has it got coop Vs ability cos then me and the gf will probably get it for that, well at least a better reason to try it.

It does have multiplayer, but playing co-op is a choice you make in-game rather than a mode as far as I'm aware.

Caporegime
I'm finding that in almost every game I play one of the A.I players blobs early on. Which pretty much forces your hand to wage war against them before they build up an unassailable tech/fame advantage. Part of the issue appears to be the way the game "seeds" players at the start of the game in the Neoliothic age. I've yet to play a game where there wasn't at least 2 other A.I players on the same starting continent as me, meanwhile the other 2-3 A.I players have two large land masses all to themselves, with no way to peg them back until at least the third era when sailing becomes available and allows travel across deep water. For reference, this is on a "normal" sized map with 6 players. Also, in the Neolithic age the A.I players see through the fog of war and make a bee-line for all the goodie huts etc quickly propelling them to the Ancient era ... makes it near impossible for the human player to grab some of the early civs etc. The partial "fix" to the last problem is to switch your scouts to "auto-explore", that way your units get the benefit of the "all-seeing" A.I.

Yeah auto explore just hoovers curiosities.

In combat do you always go second?

On auto remove its pretty much instant win if you're stronge in tactical when I have units that will insta kill theirs they always get to attack me first and do some damage?

Associate
Yeah auto explore just hoovers curiosities.

In combat do you always go second?

On auto remove its pretty much instant win if you're stronge in tactical when I have units that will insta kill theirs they always get to attack me first and do some damage?

Not sure what decides initiative in battles. Now that I think about it I can't remember the last one I got to start first.

Caporegime
Not sure what decides initiative in battles. Now that I think about it I can't remember the last one I got to start first.

It seems attacker always goes first

Just finished my first game endless large map I nuked a few people icbm fully upgraded is a big blast but the range is tiny.

Ended up just racing to Mars (took less than 10 turns with all 10 cities on it) just to end the game as it got a bit meh.

Had thermonuclear weapons but still using muskets and ironclad ships. Which get owned by ancient boats shooting arows.

Also never got electricity but did get fusion power.

Wars seem annoying I could never get war score high enough to vassals even when I had dozens of grievances and demands from everyone being my relgion/culture.

I tried to make the world uninhabitable via pollution but not much happened 1 30 turn mall's from panic and once it got to low -50 stability for everyone but with districtsand tech an wonders all my cities were 100 permanently anyway

Was a bit disappointing the ending summary not one mention of me turning half the map into wasteland.

Caporegime
Achievements seem bugged I got one for winning without declaring wars despite being the only one starting them.

Got an achievement for Buckingham 3 payers cities in ow game :D

Oh and despite the description nuke subs don't launch nukes and they can't attack cities unless you are already attacking them with land forces as "you can't besiege a city with naval units"

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So what makes this any different/better than Civ 6 guys?

Picked up Age of Wonders Planetfall for a few quid recently and feels so much like civ 6.

Caporegime
So what makes this any different/better than Civ 6 guys?

Picked up Age of Wonders Planetfall for a few quid recently and feels so much like civ 6.

Not played civ 6 but I'd go with the horribly confusing everyone changes thier name every so often mechanic makes it different.

It's a bit of a mess at times, as each race isn't say named after ruler but culture so half way through my war withrh ottomans they became the norse etc

Tool tips and notifications could do with more clarity too.

I've no idea what the mechanic behind a lot of stuff is as it's not explained

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Pass from me then. I installed Stellaris with the Star Trek New Horizons Mod which looks awesome. They been working on that mod for like 5 years or something now.

Might give Endless Space 2 a go after. Might be able to pick that up for a few quid also like I did Age of Wonders Planetfall.

Soldato
I really want to get into this game but I'm confused as hell, I've played a decent amount of CIV games so I get the premise of strategy games.

I think my problems might like with jumping into a game and not watching the tutorial videos, I want to play a game not watch videos.

Are the tutorial videos actually useful?

Caporegime
I really want to get into this game but I'm confused as hell, I've played a decent amount of CIV games so I get the premise of strategy games.

I think my problems might like with jumping into a game and not watching the tutorial videos, I want to play a game not watch videos.

No idea I didn't
Restart, set you little cave men to auto explore it just paths them straight to the curiosities not explores

As you find the curiosities to get more people keep splitting and auto exploring.

From then on focus 100% on picking civs/building buildings that make influence everything else is kinda secondary.

Oh the zone of influence/culture/religion flip doesn't matter much.

It's not a culture flip it just creates a Grevence for rhe side that converts yours (or you them) religion = oppressing thw Faithfull they can ask for the territory (you say no they won't go to war)

The other you may be asked to change a civic to be more like them. Again you can refuse

It's an amazing time sink I think had it had a holiday release it would have been better.

End game combat is a bit **** though especially naval.

Few patches and it will be good.

Soldato
It's basically CIV but with a few tweaks and the combat from endless legend.

I enjoyed it a lot {spent 6hrs on it last night, whoops) , although my biggest gripe is that the districts are kinda hard to see so organising them so you get adjacency bonuses is a bit of a pita.

I quite like the system for progressing through the ages being based on actual things you do rather than just your research.

Soldato
Been watching PotatoMcWhiskey's lets play all week to get a feel for how it all hangs together, took today off to do house things and the last 5 hours we're sunk into this without really blinking!

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the game has as this is really good, especially when you don't try and play like civ6...

Caporegime
It's basically CIV but with a few tweaks and the combat from endless legend.

I enjoyed it a lot {spent 6hrs on it last night, whoops) , although my biggest gripe is that the districts are kinda hard to see so organising them so you get adjacency bonuses is a bit of a pita.

I quite like the system for progressing through the ages being based on actual things you do rather than just your research.

I keep getting a bug where my districts ar just th flat grey texture not 3d on top makes it impossible to tell

Soldato
Not really my sort of game normally. But I gave it a go since it was free on game pass. Started over a few times in the first 10 goes on metropolis difficulty getting to grips. Then the first time I really let it run, I was sprinting ahead with ease within 60 turns. Decided to go back and start again on Nation. Still won fairly easily, managed to box up the other nations pretty well. Rushed ahead with research and development at that point, and virtually cut them off from luxury resources too. Think only one of them was lucky enough to have any, and only basic essentials too, so they were really held back.

Quite fun, and played to the end (well, all science research ending, and a trip to mars finished virtually at the same time too), had attack helicopters fighting crossbowmen at best, generally ground units with no ranged capabilities, so it was a slaughter in conquest as well. Now uninstalled, people who enjoy the game I can imagine playing through in a variety of ways and enjoying it a lot.

Caporegime
all these types of games just seem too overly familiar and like reboots of an old game.

CIv IV was the peak for me, I was hyped for this but never bought it and the more time goes on I wonder if I would grow bored within a few hours and just refund

Soldato
From what I have seen, there looks to be a really good game in there, but it needs polishing and improving, what I really didn't like was the culture changes, coming mostly from an EUIV and Imperator background that seems off, ROP noted they could change every 50 turns, that would be a bit immersion breaking for me, yeah you do change tags, you do convert and assimilate, you do sometimes culture change but not to this extent, it seems a bit gimmicky to me. You develop your civ broadly along a path that makes Historical sense.

Different kind of game sure, and like with Civ I wonder if it will engage my History nerd enough. But I do fancy playing a different kind of Civ builder.

Associate

Watching a video will help a lot, its as different to Civ as it is similar to it.

Here's a tip video, this guy also has a much more in depth one about 1hr long:

Back
Top Bottom