Hungarian Grand Prix 2016, Budapest - Race 11/21

As has been mentioned already. If the roles were reversed, and Hamilton had done this to be on pole, you'd all be saying it was a masterstroke.
People here are just angry because it is Rosberg. You only have to read every F1 race thread here, to see the pattern.

You can't speak for everyone. As a Hamilton fan I'd feel the same way if he had done it. 'Slow down and be prepared to stop' is just not lifting for half a second. I want F1 to have clear, concise rules, but it's just a tombola at the moment.

As has been mentioned already. If the roles were reversed, and Hamilton had done this to be on pole, you'd all be saying it was a masterstroke.
People here are just angry because it is Rosberg. You only have to read every F1 race thread here, to see the pattern.

That is quite the sweeping statement isn't it...

I am not affiliated with any one driver and I would like to see any of them penalized for the same thing.

DiResta showing Rosberg's *ahem* 'lift' in a couple of ways.

Double waved yellows - Reduce your speed significantly. Be prepared to stop. Did neither. How the utter hell does he keep getting away with this crap? He must have photos of the stewards doing... well... each other...

The bit that condemned him for me was after the left turn, he got hard on the throttle again while the double waved yellows were still out.

Seriously need to start enforcing the damn rules FIA... Track limits, yellow flags.

Last edited:
The Hulk one from Austria was even worse. You couldn't even tell he lifted from the on boards, it was just visible in the data as a fraction of a second of not being on full throttle.

DiResta showing Rosberg's *ahem* 'lift' in a couple of ways.

Double waved yellows - Reduce your speed significantly. Be prepared to stop. Did neither. How the utter hell does he keep getting away with this crap? He must have photos of the stewards doing... well... each other...

The bit that condemned him for me was after the left turn, he got hard on the throttle again while the double waved yellows were still out.

Seriously need to start enforcing the damn rules FIA... Track limits, yellow flags.

Worst thing for me is that this incident gives other drivers more reason to ignore yellow. Why slow down when you could get a free pole position?

They've had a death due to ignoring double waved yellow flags recently, so they need to start nailing people for it.

A 0.1s loss due to a lift isn't significantly slowing.

So with this new radio rule if you want to give your driver instructions on car settings you must call them through the pit lane.

But does that also mean that you are free to give your driver more information during a normal routine stop?

If so, that actually seems very sensible, and I've seen it suggested by some journalists a few times. Basically little to no chat while on track, but full chat allowed in the pits. The "drivers must drive the car alone and unaided" rule falls to the way side in the pits anyway, as the speed is limited artificially, and the drivers don't get out and change their own tyres and wing settings. So allowing full radio conversation in the pits seems entirely logical.

Assuming, that is, that the FIA aren't going to try and separate out scheduled stops from unscheduled ones, which will be a nightmare.

After Bianchi you'd think if there was any rule in the world they would enforce with a rod of iron it would be slowing sufficiently under yellow flags, the fact that not only are they not enforcing it but are wilfully letting people benefit from it is beyond belief really.

After Bianchi you'd think if there was any rule in the world they would enforce with a rod of iron it would be slowing sufficiently under yellow flags, the fact that not only are they not enforcing it but are wilfully letting people benefit from it is beyond belief really.

You would think.. But this is f1. Flexirules

Watching on c4 today not sky

I thought by the time Nico got to that sector there were no yellow flags anymore. Anyway I don't care either way. Hopefully both Mercs will take each other out and we'll have a much better race. :)

So was his pole lap the one that took place under yellow flags?

Yes. He was second behind Hamilton after the first runs.

Yup. Purple middle sector while double waved yellows were out for 2 corners (turns 8 and 9)

But as said purple sectors don't matter any more, and haven't for at least a couple of years now (since the timing loops for the live gaps were introduced).

Back
Top Bottom