Hungarian Grand Prix 2016, Budapest - Race 11/21

Personally I can't stand Rosberg for many many reasons, however I do find myself feeling really sorry for the bloke. All he wants it to succeed at what he does but has one person stopping him and he simply can't find a way of dealing with it and keeps digging himself deeper and deeper and doesn't understand why.

I think after he wins the WDC once, he will be content. Mercedes probably see it as the answer to all their troubles as well and I can see why. Obviously that doesn't mean they would consciously favour him.

To this_is_gav, the issue most people have with this incident is the FIAs complete lack of enforcement of their own rules. Its got nothing to do with who the driver is.

I'm as equally peed off at this as I was about the Hulkenburg yellow flag issue in Austria. A tiny blip being considered as "significantly slowing" is a total joke regardless. I'd be equally as against it no matter who it was.

For a sport making such a fool of itself over the over safe bull they are doing with Halos and not letting people race if its a bit damp, letting drivers go almost full speed through double waved yellows is a complete farse that deserves to be highlighted and seriously questioned.

Well this is surely another precedent set now isn't it? I.e. If someone gets pulled up on it they can just say well you let Rosberg off with a tiny throttle blip so jog on. Then the FIA will come out with a rule that if you see double waved yellows you have to stop and reverse the rest of your lap or something.

I doubt they will see it as black and white as that.

If for example Hamilton did what Rosberg did, then he would have got a penalty.

Hamilton would have been driving past Alonso at high speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stewards took the situation into account.

What punishments were available to them if found guilty?

Auto restrict the engine to a max 50% throttle input under double yellows and be done with it (75% under single yellow).

It's obvious at this point that the drivers push the boundaries and the FIA are useless at enforcing it :rolleyes:

Double waved yellows means 'prepare to stop', not 'slow down by 0.05 seconds'. It's ridiculous. And I don't say that as a Hamilton fanboy either. The only way they'll stop it is to nullify anyone's lap time if they pass through a double waved yellow section. That way there's no possibility of carrying on and the driver will ease off anyway.

Auto restrict the engine to a max 50% throttle input under double yellows and be done with it (75% under single yellow).

It's obvious at this point that the drivers push the boundaries and the FIA are useless at enforcing it :rolleyes:

This is the problem when they are so ambiguous. If you tell them they should lift they'll do the smallest tiniest lift that can be shown via data rather than the lift they are expecting where someone has slowed for an accident. I'm not being funny but how do they know if the double yellows are for something like that or cars blown up all over the track? They can't until they get there...

So they should just be auto restricted so the decision is removed from them.

Not watched it but just read the last page of this thread.

Hope the same occurrence happens the next race weekend and Hamilton only slows down by a tenth... See how many books get swat at him.

FIA realy are just a joke, bunch of senile money lining ****wits. Shame as F1 use to be awesome and something to look forward to.

To this_is_gav, the issue most people have with this incident is the FIAs complete lack of enforcement of their own rules. Its got nothing to do with who the driver is.

I'm as equally peed off at this as I was about the Hulkenburg yellow flag issue in Austria. A tiny blip being considered as "significantly slowing" is a total joke regardless. I'd be equally as against it no matter who it was.

It's consistency. It's what we've all wanted for the last however many years across all of the rules. In instances like these it's not right, indeed it's far from right, but as long as it's consistent it's as fair as it can be. Show me a case where a driver was punished while backing off, no matter how brief, in any session. I'll bet you'll be looking back a long way.

Well this is surely another precedent set now isn't it? I.e. If someone gets pulled up on it they can just say well you let Rosberg off with a tiny throttle blip so jog on. Then the FIA will come out with a rule that if you see double waved yellows you have to stop and reverse the rest of your lap or something.
It's been that way for at least a decade. Like I said, Alonso, among others, did so in 2006 and they weren't even investigated. There's been many more instances over the years before and I'm sure after, as I said, all the way back to ~1997 (feel free to mention any instances I've forgotten since where drivers were punished for such offences).

Double waved yellows means 'prepare to stop', not 'slow down by 0.05 seconds'. It's ridiculous. And I don't say that as a Hamilton fanboy either. The only way they'll stop it is to nullify anyone's lap time if they pass through a double waved yellow section. That way there's no possibility of carrying on and the driver will ease off anyway.
Was it double waved yellows ("prepare to stop") or just a waved yellow? All I saw were yellow boards. I'll watch Rosberg's lap again tomorrow and keep an eye out, but I didn't notice double-waved yellows when I watched it afterwards.

As I said, Hakkinen drove through double-yellows while waving at the marshals as a way of acknowledging their presence. Nobody has ever been "prepared to stop" in these instances. Ever. Not once. What Rosberg did was clever in that he backed off before braking into turn 8, meaning he lost a fraction of the time he would have done had he done under acceleration or even through the apex. Don't kid yourself that Hamilton wouldn't have done exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

That said we need a Le Mans Series yellow zone. The FIA's argument that the drivers would push to the limit and then potentially lose control entering the zone is a silly one. It would be quite easy to regulate power through the mandated ECU's they already have, and if at the end of a long straight then just introduce it so that the zone starts before the straight. F1 just doesn't want to lose face. If F1 hasn't invented something then it's going to take a heck of a lot of persuasion to get them to implement it... and if a driver dying apparently wasn't enough reason to persuade the decision makers from implementing it then it's not going to get implemented.

I said it more than most after Bianchi's accident - take the situation out of the driver's hands, as if you don't, every single action they take will be in their own interests. Today was no different.

Last edited:
just caught up on quali!

didn't expect a punishment for Rosberg, very rare any one will, they just need to lift a smidge and its all fine.

Hamilton is good here, so i expect him to pass Rosberg.

Bad decision on NR but I'm glad he is in front of Hamilton, but well played to NR, he satisfied the stewards

I think some of the top 10 are going to have some pretty shoddy q2 tyres are they not?

Just watched it

It's consistency. It's what we've all wanted for the last however many years across all of the rules. In instances like these it's not right, indeed it's far from right, but as long as it's consistent it's as fair as it can be. Show me a case where a driver was punished while backing off, no matter how brief, in any session. I'll bet you'll be looking back a long way.

It's been that way for at least a decade. Like I said, Alonso, among others, did so in 2006 and they weren't even investigated. There's been many more instances over the years before and I'm sure after, as I said, all the way back to ~1997 (feel free to mention any instances I've forgotten since where drivers were punished for such offences).

Was it double waved yellows ("prepare to stop") or just a waved yellow? All I saw were yellow boards. I'll watch Rosberg's lap again tomorrow and keep an eye out, but I didn't notice double-waved yellows when I watched it afterwards.

As I said, Hakkinen drove through double-yellows while waving at the marshals as a way of acknowledging their presence. Nobody has ever been "prepared to stop" in these instances. Ever. Not once. What Rosberg did was clever in that he backed off before braking into turn 8, meaning he lost a fraction of the time he would have done had he done under acceleration or even through the apex. Don't kid yourself that Hamilton wouldn't have done exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

That said we need a Le Mans Series yellow zone. The FIA's argument that the drivers would push to the limit and then potentially lose control entering the zone is a silly one. It would be quite easy to regulate power through the mandated ECU's they already have, and if at the end of a long straight then just introduce it so that the zone starts before the straight. F1 just doesn't want to lose face. If F1 hasn't invented something then it's going to take a heck of a lot of persuasion to get them to implement it... and if a driver dying apparently wasn't enough reason to persuade the decision makers from implementing it then it's not going to get implemented.

I said it more than most after Bianchi's accident - take the situation out of the driver's hands, as if you don't, every single action they take will be in their own interests. Today was no different.

Yes it was double waved yellows. You could see the light board.

One rule for a minor few, other rules for all the other drivers.

FIA needs and someone should start asking for independent investigations, this is nothing but a joke house now.

Let see, Hamilton will go tomorrow to over take Rosscheat and hell forget how to use his steering wheel again. Though that's okay to the investigations.

As has been mentioned already. If the roles were reversed, and Hamilton had done this to be on pole, you'd all be saying it was a masterstroke.
People here are just angry because it is Rosberg. You only have to read every F1 race thread here, to see the pattern.

Bad decision on NR but I'm glad he is in front of Hamilton, but well played to NR, he satisfied the stewards

I think some of the top 10 are going to have some pretty shoddy q2 tyres are they not?

Just watched it

If Q2 is affected by rain then the "start on Q2 tyres" rule doesn't apply.

As has been mentioned already. If the roles were reversed, and Hamilton had done this to be on pole, you'd all be saying it was a masterstroke.
People here are just angry because it is Rosberg. You only have to read every F1 race thread here, to see the pattern.

I don't carry #JB17 around in my sig because I think only Rosberg should have to properly obey double waved yellows.

The guy is a ****, but that is irrelevant in this.

Back
Top Bottom