Hungarian Grand Prix 2016, Budapest - Race 11/21

From Sky's website:

Also Ricciardo, Vestappen, Hulk, Checo and Bottas were all outside the 107% rule in Q1. The grid may change a fair bit by lights out :D

Rosberg has claimed there wasn't a double waved yellow, just a single static one. So he's blind as well as deluded.

The 107% rule doesn't apply if Q1 is affected by rain.

The annoying thing is that the pole lap wasn't even a good lap. Poor first sector, way down on Hamilton, and it was just the improved track which gifted him the pole.

Looking at Rosberg's lap though I can understand why he thought it might have been okay to stay on it, he could see the track was clear. Obviously that's not a call he is allowed to make though.

What about the people behind Rosberg? Did they have yellows?

Yes. Binchi died because he abused them. There should be zero tolerance on just blasting through them with an almost imperceptible acknowledgement.

And we all said this at the time and nothing happened. Just like before (including Hakkinen at the Nurburgring just waving and not lifting at all!). It's infuriating and frankly wrong, but until they start enforcing those rules nothing will change. Rosberg is hardly the first. Heck, Kimi even drove flat out up Radillon and Kemmel completely blind from smoke under yellows in qualifying in 2002. He is still praised for that now!

I think the last time anything meaningful happened with those rules in a qualifying session was in 1997 with Villeneuve in Suzuka and that rumbled on until the weekend of the infamous title decider. I can't think of anything after that (well, ignoring the whole Schumacher farce in 2006, which was the reverse of this (PS Alonso did the same as Rosberg that year - lifted only enough).

Everyone clamours for consistency, but when rules like this are applied consistently (as they have been today), people still moan because of who benefited. I'd love the Hamilton fans to admit, hand on heart, that they'd have simply replaced the words "Rosberg" with "Hamilton" in their posts if the reverse was true and it was Lewis who improved, because he'd be the first to do exactly the same. I'd believe some more respected posters who said it, but certainly not most.

The annoying thing is that the pole lap wasn't even a good lap. Poor first sector, way down on Hamilton, and it was just the improved track which gifted him the pole.

I thought his last sector was awesome considering the number of cars between him and the line. Hamilton was going to beat him had Alonso not spun, but I still found it impressive he improved given the number of cars that had to jump out of the way.

Does any-one in here like Rosberg? Just wondered.
I quite enjoyed him back in 2006-2010 or so (I thought he was one of the drivers of the year in 2009), but not so much now. He's been too soft and crumbled under pressure too often since then to truly respect him and so I've cooled towards him. Still elements of him that I like (Bahrain 2014 and Abu Dhabi 2014 spring to mind), but I still struggle to like him as a driver.

He's grown a small pair of balls this year in an attempt at making Hamilton think twice (see Barcelona - Hamilton wouldn't have tried that on Alonso or Webber for example) and it's not always worked out for him (Austria) but at least he's showing signs of hardening up and if that continues, and fairly (unlike Austria), then I'll at least hope he can take the battle to Hamilton in a bid to make the title interesting. Still won't be a fan of his though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom