Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2017, Budapest - Race 11/20

Rate the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
biased mods what a joke

the race was a 9 could have been higher if Mercedes had let Hamilton race bottas instead of bottas giving his place up plus max would made things interesting by being closer

This is coming from someone who rates races based on whether Hamilton gets on the podium or not? Every SINGLE race.

Oh and "could have" is not real English.

I rated this race a 3/10 because apart from the first lap mayhem and the last few laps of the race absolutely nothing happened. This is not an overtaking track even when the cars were better able to closely follow behind other cars in seasons gone by, let alone this season when it's that much harder. The biggest highlight that this race showed is how much of a hinderance that Honda engine is in the back of the McLaren when both cars finish in the points and Alonso sets the fastest lace of the race.

Soldato
biased mods what a joke

the race was a 9 could have been higher if Mercedes had let Hamilton race bottas instead of bottas giving his place up plus max would made things interesting by being closer
So you're blaming Mercedes for not having Bottas and Hamilton fight each other, when Ferrari forced Kimi to stick behind and protect a hobbled Vettel for 75% of the race when Kimi had the pace to win...

Yeah, it's entirely the mods here who are biased. You need to wake up and smell what you're shovelling.

Caporegime
Today demonstrated the colossal advantage Vettel has this season. Ferrari will never, ever favour Kimi over Vettel (they were willing to risk the race win just so Vettel could win it today). Ferrari will put Seb first in any situation and Seb will lap it up and take full advantage of it.

Massive respect to Hamilton for letting Bottas back. I have no doubt that Vettel wouldn't even dream of doing the same this season.

If Vettel wins this championship, a large part will be because of this sort of thing unfortunately.

If Merc want to win this, they need to fight fire with fire and choose one driver to put first at every point.

Caporegime
Voted it a one. Was totally boring. No matter what anyone did no one could over take. I like how the commentators tried to make it exciting but saying 'what could have been if max didn't get that penalty'.. Another car stuck unable to over take that's what!

Didn't watch to the end when I realised no overtaking was possible

Soldato
So you're blaming Mercedes for not having Bottas and Hamilton fight each other, when Ferrari forced Kimi to stick behind and protect a hobbled Vettel for 75% of the race when Kimi had the pace to win...

Yeah, it's entirely the mods here who are biased. You need to wake up and smell what you're shovelling.

kimi wanted vettel to pull over not fight for the position your comparing apples and oranges

Caporegime
Voted it a one. Was totally boring. No matter what anyone did no one could over take. I like how the commentators tried to make it exciting but saying 'what could have been if max didn't get that penalty'.. Another car stuck unable to over take that's what!

Didn't watch to the end when I realised no overtaking was possible

It was incredibly frustrating to watch Seb, Kimi and Ham all within 1 sec of each other but not be able to anything.

Caporegime
It was incredibly frustrating to watch Seb, Kimi and Ham all within 1 sec of each other but not be able to anything.

There wasn't even a remote lunge or anything. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Was glad that Hamilton did indeed give the place back.

Caporegime
Come now they favour vettel because kimi is a complete waste of skin for 90% of the season but they keep him around because he's reasonably popular and because the money grabbing smuck signed a deal to be the whipping boy. The same as irivine and the same as Rubens. He doesn't deserve any sympathy, he's a **** lazy racer who has wasted what ever talent he started with.

Its not like it's a great surprise that he's been used this way, the biggest surprise is he's even been in a decent position in the first place for two races in the first half of the season. They protected the car with steering issues. They know merc have probably the better car over the season and to support vettel is the best hope, if the roles and car performance were reversed merc will do the same thing and move bottas aside. If Hamilton broke his leg, bottas would have a reasonable chance at the title, if vettel breaks his leg well kimi would struggle to finish 3rd. Everyone knows it, he's a journey man.

Vettel and Hamilton have been kept happy with team mates that won't bother them too much, that's the way to get the best out of them. It stops either of them having a meltdown.

Caporegime
Honestly, people constantly mocked Bernie's idea of sprinklers to induce a wet race but seriously, everything about racing is artificial. The regulations change to induce competition, we leave tracks and design new tracks for new races, wet races can be great, exactly what is wrong if Hungary for instance is deemed to be a 'wet' race.

Dry track, without some crazy stuff happening, say a couple fast guys qualifying at the back due to dead engines, safety car in a window that makes a few guys try a two stopper so we have alternative strategies, then Hungary may be the worst dry track around. Monaco is much worse for overtaking but at least it's a skill track, at least qualifying is edge of the seat viewing. Hungary wet though is often one of the best races of the year. So is the idea of a 'forced' wet race so bad when it will make it that much more entertaining?

For me Hungary basically doesn't work in the dry but in the wet it can be amazing, so make it wet, who cares.

Race today was terrible, Sky didn't get it and most fans on reddit didn't seem to get it, but a track like this Kimi faster out of the last corner and with DRS was able to defend against Hamilton easily, if they switched them Vettel would be a sitting duck and without DRS, then Ham passes Vettel and attacks Kimi who would lose DRS on the straight. I don't think Ham would have passed him but it would have been easy and taken a smaller mistake for Ham to get by him. Vettel ahead of Kimi meant Ham was having to pass two cars working together while Vettel behind Kimi meant Ham fighting each car on it's own.

The rest of the race, no one tried a different strategy, no one who got stuck though, hey, 20 lap fresher tires for long periods of the race that will make the difference. Better traction onto the straights, better braking into T1, better grip to try on the outside or inside of t2. 2 only because I thought Vettel's car may break if his steering column went so that gave it SOME interest, not that I wanted to see him crash but because it was at least one thing that wasn't completely predictable.

Ham also almost dropped back to let Bottas pass him after that initial 5 laps. He thought the team told him he'd had his 5 laps so he said something like okay, I'll drop back and let him pass now, they reconfirmed they meant he had another 5 laps to try, because Bottas was falling back and definitely wouldn't pass Kimi and Ham was still at least putting pressure on them. I think they secretly thought pushing Vettel may cause him to hit more curbs and maybe damage the car further. So Ham was willing to give that place back way before the end, it was clear he had no problem doing so at all yet people were surprised by the end.

Soldato
Tracks like Hungary and Monaco would work better by effectively making the race some sort of time trial, spreading out the cars at the start, according to their qualifying positions. For example, letting drivers from the top 15 go every ~4 seconds, the back of the field every ~3 seconds.

So using what happened in this "race," Vettel would not have won because he crossed the finish line less than 4 seconds ahead of Kimi (who before Lewis dropped his pace to let Bottas pass on the last corner, would have been less than 8 seconds behind Vettel). So the race results podium would have been Lewis, Kimi, Vettel.

Back
Top Bottom