Hurricane Harvey

Caporegime

I can see why some of them do it to be honest when you look at what some of those in New Orleans had to go through and how there's people who still don't have their lives back on track all these years later, now you could argue that's down to their mindset and criminality but...

Extremely poor people whose homes may be lost and on top of that have no insurance are going to start getting desperate to try and have something to sell/live off afterwards, in this scenario it's quite likely any electrical equipment would end up ruined anyway especially if the flooding is due to get worse, I'll pretty much always condone theft but trying to look at it from their point of view it's not that surprising, of course it may just as likely be people doing it not out of desperation but greed to capitalise on a situation.

Permabanned
I can see why some of them do it to be honest when you look at what some of those in New Orleans had to go through and how there's people who still don't have their lives back on track all these years later, now you could argue that's down to their mindset and criminality but...

Extremely poor people whose homes may be lost and on top of that have no insurance are going to start getting desperate to try and have something to sell/live off afterwards, in this scenario it's quite likely any electrical equipment would end up ruined anyway especially if the flooding is due to get worse, of desperation but greed to capitalise on a situation.

"I'll pretty much always condone theft but trying to look at it from their point of view it's not that surprising, <snip>"

Err, not sure that's quite what you meant, is it?

I doubt many looting have the long term plan to sell huge flat screen TV's and the rest of the detritus of modern consumerism to buy food for their families, or pay their landlord his rent, the naivety is charming, but ultimately worrying for your stance on looting in times of modern disasters in developed nations.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
My partner's sister has just been evacuated from Katy, fears over a reservoir bursting and wiping out thousands of homes.

She was supposed to fly back to the UK tomorrow too :(

we had friends who lived in barkers landing which is just over the i10 from addicks dam..so they would have been underwater by now..the whole energy corridor down there down to BP's offices was low lying!

Caporegime
"I'll pretty much always condone theft but trying to look at it from their point of view it's not that surprising, <snip>"

Err, not sure that's quite what you meant, is it?

I doubt many looting have the long term plan to sell huge flat screen TV's and the rest of the detritus of modern consumerism to buy food for their families, or pay their landlord his rent, the naivety is charming, but ultimately worrying for your stance on looting in times of modern disasters in developed nations.

We don't know their circumstances so we're both guessing until/if charges are made.

Soldato
They've now been told the threat to Katy has been reduced and no longer have to evacuate.

To add to the nightmare, some supermarkets are opening, only allowing 20 shoppers in at a time leading to 3 hour wait times to get supplies!

Man of Honour
and thanks to the orange face buffoon when its rebuilt, it wont have flood protection or at least no where near as strong, as well, he couldn't leave a Obama rule on the books.

Soldato
Floods in India, Bangladesh and Nepal kill 1,200 and leave millions homeless does not seem to get a mention on the BBC or in fact any news broadcast.

Soldato
Floods in India, Bangladesh and Nepal kill 1,200 and leave millions homeless does not seem to get a mention on the BBC or in fact any news broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-41093404

The rains in Mumbai follow devastating floods across a swathe of South Asia, which have killed more than 1,200.

At least 500 of the deaths happened in the northern Indian state of Bihar, according to officials.

Some 16 million people have been affected across South Asia, according to aid workers. They estimate that tens of thousands of people have been displaced.

Permabanned
But only since the late seventies have the meteorologists come up with alternating male and female names, following the letters of the alphabet.

Maserati named many of their models after famous winds, as an aside, (dunno what brought that to mind, I drive an old Volvo...).

"In the beginning, storms were given arbitrary names. An Atlantic storm that ripped the mast off a boat named Antje became known as Antje's hurricane. Then, in the mid-1900s, people started using female names for storms.

Then, forecasters decided to introduce a more organised and efficient system, taking names instead from a list arranged alphabetically.

The first storm to occur in a year would be assigned a name beginning with A, and so on. Before the end of the 1900s, forecasters used male names for storms forming in the southern hemisphere.

Since 1953, storms in the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico and the North Atlantic have been named from lists drawn up by the National Hurricane Center. They are now maintained and updated by an international committee of the WMO.

The original list featured only women's names and in 1979, men's names were introduced - and now they alternate each year. Six lists are used in rotation, so the list for 2016 will be used again in 2022.

When a storm is deemed to be particularly deadly or costly, its name is removed from the list. Another name is chosen to replace it at an annual meeting of the WMO Tropical Cyclone Committees.

Members will have to decide whether Hurricane Matthew, which took nearly 900 lives in Haiti and at least 17 in the United States, as well as leaving thousands of homes and businesses without power, should be exchanged for a different name.

Storm names that have been removed include Haiyan (Philippines, 2013), Sandy (USA, 2012), Katrina (USA, 2005), Mitch (Honduras, 1998) and Tracy (Darwin, 1974)."

From an article in the daily Telegraph.

Permabanned

I think the Indian guru rape trial and his crazed supporters have taken the Indian news in the West pretty much over at the moment. Do Indians and Bangladeshis expect to read about the UK's troubles in their dailies? Perhaps they do as they have so many family members over here. The converse is not so true.

Back
Top Bottom