Hurricane Harvey

Soldato
I think the Indian guru rape trial and his crazed supporters have taken the Indian news in the West pretty much over at the moment. Do Indians and Bangladeshis expect to read about the UK's troubles in their dailies? Perhaps they do as they have so many family members over here. The converse is not so true.

The BBC calls their news channel BBC World News not BBC USA News. I really think other places in the world should get a mention but the BBC cannot see past the USA. For many months now it has been dominated by Trump stories no matter how minor and now we have the hurricane/storm which has received the most air time. World News should reflect world events and not be dominated by oapart of the wold with a population of a mere 323m.

Soldato
Oh, it's an Americanism. I lived through the 1987 hurricane which hit the UK. It didn't have a name. It was just called "The great storm of 1987"

The last time we ever underestimated the weather. Since then we treated every storm and snowfall as if it will be record breaking, having public transport grind to a halt with wind/rain and encouraging people to rush to supermarkets to buy snow shovels by the pallet load every winter and a weeks worth of milk eggs and bread when a light sprinkle of snow is forecast :p

Permabanned
The BBC calls their news channel BBC World News not BBC USA News. I really think other places in the world should get a mention but the BBC cannot see past the USA. For many months now it has been dominated by Trump stories no matter how minor and now we have the hurricane/storm which has received the most air time. World News should reflect world events and not be dominated by oapart of the wold with a population of a mere 323m.

Have you written to them? Maybe get whatever percentage of Indians and Bangladeshi's that can write to do so? Personally, and this is from someone who is not the greatest fan of Americans, I would rather read about the USA than Bangladesh, maybe the BBC are aware that their worldwide viewers and listeners share similar opinion? Similarly here on OCUK the most vibrant threads are about Trump and the USA and Britain and her vote to leave the EU. I read little to nothing about Bangladesh, Pakistan and India, save one gentleman's trials and tribulations with his Indian "wife" and what Brexit may bring to their stay in the UK. Ask the mods / forum owners for an Asian section.

Soldato
The US is just what is always the easy selling hot topic. Unfortunately a lot of the public find themselves detached from other parts of the world because of it. We always hear about the US because the US has a huge media presence here. If CNN just did a story on xxx and no UK media has covered it yet, media companies rush to do so as it will already be trending news and will pick up readers/viewership due to American outlets already essentially marketing the stories.

Unfortunately that has lead us to get specific topic focused news often, with stories concentrating on whatever is the hot subject for the sake of obtaining returning viwers/readers previously interested in similar articles eg. terrorist related stuff, president elections.

Plenty of crazy stuff going on in other parts of the world but it just isn't guaranteed to sell.

Soldato
News shouldn't be 'sold'.

I've given up on all the main news sources, you just can't trust anything they're telling you these days.

It seems to be getting worse and worse.

Caporegime
I am just laughing at the dimwits on twitter and facebook who say Trump is doing more than Obama did during katrina.........
a lot of those twitter posts are bots so replying to them won't do much.

I mean you have got to be some special stupid to actually believe that Obama did nothing to help when Katrina hit. When truthfully he wasn't even in office lol.

But it would not surprise me if there are genuine Trump supporters that actually believe Obama was in office during Katrina.

Soldato
It's due to get to us at around 6pm tonight, just in time for Labor Day weekend. School has been cancelled and flash flood warnings are out. I'll be heeding those warnings after getting caught up in one on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom