Hyundai W241D-PVA

Associate
Just got my W240D today and it looks great; vista at 1920x1200 is very sharp and clear. However when connecting the ps3 through HDMI and playing call of duty 4 it looks rubbish, it is not being scaled properly at all; jagged lines and not sharp at all. I tried setting the screen to 1:1 which makes it look better but also makes the image go to a small box in the middle of the screen. Playing drakes uncharted demo, is very dissapionting makes one of the best looking games look terrible and creates extremely jagged graphics.

My previous screen used for my pc/ps3 was a panasonic tx26lxd70 26" LCD TV i changed it due to the vga ports maximum resolution of only 1368x768. The PS3 looked much sharper and much less jagged on that LCD. Can anyone give me any advice??

Soldato
Call of duty 4 only runs at something like 1024x600p thats not even 720p
so thats why it looks quite bad upscaled to 1080p.

try some 1080p game demos see how it looks then.

Associate
yh, just realised it is only an issue with 720p games; thing is there arent many 1080p games, mostly all 720p, v.annoying; DMC4, GTAIV, Killzone2, COD4, PRO08, Assasins Creed the list goes on, all the best games are in 720p. Which means they will all look rubbish on this panel. I wish that there will be a some sort of update to sort out the 720p scaling on the W240D!

Btw how do you update the firmware on this panel?

Soldato
Try setting your ps3 to output 1080p only go into the display settings in the ps3 and uncheck 720p/1080i this will force the games to run in 1080p i heard it might make a difference but i havent tryed it myself yet.

I dont now how to update the firmware i dont think there are any other versions out yet.

Associate
Try setting your ps3 to output 1080p only go into the display settings in the ps3 and uncheck 720p/1080i this will force the games to run in 1080p i heard it might make a difference but i havent tryed it myself yet.

I dont now how to update the firmware i dont think there are any other versions out yet.

just tried it, it does look a little better now, but still looked sharper on the panny lcd.

Soldato
Well guys, i got my other W241D Monitor back from Hyundai but it still makes the Buzzing noise,

They have asked me to send a recording of the noise , which im about to

Can someone download this and see if they hear it too

May have to turn speakers up

Thanks

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2SRPUZBH didnt know where to upload it to so sorry if its rubbish

Last edited:
Associate
yea i hear it

btw call of duty four runs in 720p, 1080i and 1080p, well thats what it says on the box.

when i play cod4 on my ps3 through hdmi on my w2d40d it looks fine. I ticked all the display formats in display settings too. :/

you changed sum setting on the screen?

btw does anyone know how to reset the defaults on this monitors settings???

Last edited:
Well guys, i got my other W241D Monitor back from Hyundai but it still makes the Buzzing noise,

They have asked me to send a recording of the noise , which im about to

Can someone download this and see if they hear it too

May have to turn speakers up

Thanks

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2SRPUZBH didnt know where to upload it to so sorry if its rubbish

ah that sucks, was hoping the one you got back would be perfect but obviously not, i've just got a refund for mine to go with the cheaper 240d as that is the only one in stock but really unsure if i should get one, anyone know of any big contenders coming out soon?

Associate
guys, a quick question.

How would you connect your Wii/PS3 to the monitor and also acheive a sound output? I know it has 2x3W speakers built in....but what if i want to use my PC speakers for instance?

Anyone know what cable splitters etc i would need?

Associate
yea i hear it

btw call of duty four runs in 720p, 1080i and 1080p, well thats what it says on the box.

when i play cod4 on my ps3 through hdmi on my w2d40d it looks fine. I ticked all the display formats in display settings too. :/

you changed sum setting on the screen?

btw does anyone know how to reset the defaults on this monitors settings???

what do you mean by ticked? i didint know you can select all of them at once i thought it changes one to the other as you select (i dont have a checkbox on my OSD); at least that is what happens on mine.

You can go back to defaults by selecting the Recall option.

Associate
guys, a quick question.

How would you connect your Wii/PS3 to the monitor and also acheive a sound output? I know it has 2x3W speakers built in....but what if i want to use my PC speakers for instance?

Anyone know what cable splitters etc i would need?

You connect the screen to your monitor with a HDMI lead, and you have four options for sound

1. Go into the ps3 settings and do audio through hdmi also, and connect your pc speakers to the headphone jack on the monitor.

2. do audio through the (RGB cable?)(that cable with the red, white and yellow connectors) use a RGB to 3.5 male audio jack, and plug it in the auxilary in port on your speakers, or use a RGB to female connector if your speakers only connect via a 3.5mm male audio jack.

3. Set ps3 to do audio through optical cable, and connect speakers to ps3 that way, if your speakers have a optical in connection.

4. Or if your speakers have a hdmi passthrough thing. where is goes ps3>amp>monitor

what do you mean by ticked? i didint know you can select all of them at once i thought it changes one to the other as you select (i dont have a checkbox on my OSD); at least that is what happens on mine.

You can go back to defaults by selecting the Recall option.

On the ps3 video output options i do hdmi as vido output>custum settings> then there is a list like this and it says supported resolutions (or summin like that):

576p
720P
1080i
1080P

With little tick boxes next to them, and i ticked them all, that what i was trying to say if u didn't understand :/

and thanks for telling me how to reset the defaults :D

Last edited:
Associate
On the ps3 video output options i do hdmi as vido output>custum settings> then there is a list like this and it says supported resolutions (or summin like that):

576p
720P
1080i
1080P

With little tick boxes next to them, and i ticked them all, that what i was trying to say if u didn't understand :/

and thanks for telling me how to reset the defaults

yh i know about that, but still looks a bit too jagged to me.

hey guys, just recieved my third of fourth (lost count) monitor, this one being the 240d as its cheaper and i didn't need the usb on the side.

so before i open it up anyone want to place bets on whats wrong with this one? got to be quick as i will be opening any second now.

so far so good, pretty sure the item is second hand once again as the hdmi cable is missing and the box once again extreemly damaged, however all the plastic film was still on the screen so maybe someone ordered, opened but then sent back or something i don't know.

anyway checked on games and watched a dvd and seems fine, tinyest bit of ghosting on these forums but it is so minimal and only happens at great speeds, thats from cold btw, haven't tested when its hot, which is gets.

no dead pixels, blacklight bleed is minimal in bottom left corner though imo this is actually just the viewing angle as it's so large, when i view from left side direct in front of me there is no blacklight but tiny on bottom right.

Will post back if anything else happens

Soldato
Well you deserve a good working one Mammalian, just hope this one holds out

im still awaiting a reply from Hyundai, there latest email was to ask me if the noise was coming from the speakers, which its not. That was two days ago

Back
Top Bottom