Hyundai W241D-PVA

Associate
I'm extremely put-off by this monitor with all the problems people have encountered. I've got £450 to spend on a monitor and it looks like I won't get one that will meet my demands. As for the dead pixel rule, I think it's an absolute disgrace with the crap about it has to have 6 or more. I'll give it 666 dead pixels when I put my fist through it. Overclockers or anyone other place wouldn’t stop me bringing it directly back to them, trust me because I'd take it back in person and go mental. Its rubbish about letting the manufacturer sort it.

Gutted really because I want to build a very high end spec in the next 2-3 months, especially with the 9800's and Penryn coming. I want a panel that’s good for movies at 1080p and no ghosting with games as I play a lot of CS:S. I'd go for the 22" panels which are better quality in my opinion but then you have the lower resolution.

Is there any monitor out there or that is coming in the next few months that actually works? Even the new Dells that's out soon look cack!

RoEy

Associate
Couldn't agree more. All this "acceptable number of dead pixels" is an insult when you;re paying your hard earned for something. The trouble is some people accept it as a fact of life, instead of kicking manifacturers butts and saying it's not good enough.

I'm looking for a 24" aswell. Maybe this one or a Dell. But want a no dead pixel warranty. I don't care how much someone pays, if it's brand new it should work a-ok.

Associate
Exactly almichez!

It's not like we're talking about something that costs £100. £400+ is a massive amount of money for a 24" screen. Makes my blood boil when I hear about people "putting up" with the accepted amount of dead pixels.

I was really wanting the Hyundai to be a great monitor. Now I'm back to square one again. There's no way I'm spending more than £450. You should be able to buy pure quality for that price. Ha, how I was wrong.

RoEy

totally agree, £420 is hell of a lot of money on a computer screen, and the 6 dead pixels is a disgrace, one is bad enough and shouldn't be accepted but 6! i will be recieving my 3rd in a few days and again im' expecting the worst to happen, something like 5 dead pixels would be crazy. They are great monitors, just a hel of risk to get one that is what you want.

Associate
You're on your 3rd! What was wrong with the other 2? Like you say, one dead pixel is bad enough and I'm a total perfectionist so it would drive me crazy looking at just one dead pixel nevermind anymore.

RoEy

Associate
Got my W240D today! Wow it's massive. I can't see any dead pixels but I've only got it up and running for 10 minutes so far. What brightness and contrast do you all use? I am using

Brightness = 85
Contrast = 42
NVIDIA Control Panel Gamma = +70

Have I got this thing set up? I have set it to 1:1 and using a DVI cable and default windows monitor drivers.

Got my W240D today! Wow it's massive. I can't see any dead pixels but I've only got it up and running for 10 minutes so far. What brightness and contrast do you all use? I am using

Brightness = 85
Contrast = 42
NVIDIA Control Panel Gamma = +70

Have I got this thing set up? I have set it to 1:1 and using a DVI cable and default windows monitor drivers.

should be fine, i use lower brightness to that but it really depends on the user and the environment it is in, e.g. i usually have just fish tank light lighting my room up so if the screen was full brightness i would loose my eyes in no time however when i do switch light on i can have it much brighter and not know.

Roey: 1st was a second hand b-grade item but i ordered a brand new one, i would have stuck with it as it was 100% but it had small scraths on the frame which is extremely noticable on the glossy black. Second had bad ghosting, espcially on these forums the text would be doubled when scrolling down and in games it was very notciable. 3rd is coming either monday or tuesday so will post feedback then.

Associate
I've changed my brightness and contrast again, and I am liking these settings better than the previous (even though the calibration tests don't agree).

Anyway... is it normal to see grain on the W240D? I am watching movies, viewing pictures and playing games and I see the images are a little bit grainy... why is this?

I've changed my brightness and contrast again, and I am liking these settings better than the previous (even though the calibration tests don't agree).

Anyway... is it normal to see grain on the W240D? I am watching movies, viewing pictures and playing games and I see the images are a little bit grainy... why is this?

what do you mean grainy and what movies/images etc? is the below image grainy? if so something is wrong with your screen

me_grainy.jpg

if not then it will proably be just because the image/film is already grainy, ie if taken with a 5 year old phone camera then image will be of that quality regardless of the screen used to watch it, also if dvd player is straight connected to screen through say the vga then the quality again wont be as good as a normal tv.

Associate
Well I returned my faulty W241D-PVA to overclockers last week as it started to make a hissing sound then a black screen. Have to say that once again I'm impressed with the OC returns service, very quick and good communication.

Today I bought a 22inch samsung pebble and have to say for a saving of over £200 from the hyundai the samsung is much better value and apart from the hyundai having better viewing angles the samsung wins for image quality in my view.

The hyundai was good while it lasted (less than a month!!) but I will stick with the well known monitor brands in future.

Associate
Well I returned my faulty W241D-PVA to overclockers last week as it started to make a hissing sound then a black screen. Have to say that once again I'm impressed with the OC returns service, very quick and good communication.

Today I bought a 22inch samsung pebble and have to say for a saving of over £200 from the hyundai the samsung is much better value and apart from the hyundai having better viewing angles the samsung wins for image quality in my view.

The hyundai was good while it lasted (less than a month!!) but I will stick with the well known monitor brands in future.

Can't fault you mate. Glad it's all worked out well for you.

RoEy

THe grain is no where near as bad as that picture. I do see gain but the monitor is very close to me... maybe that is why. I don't always see grain, just in some pictures.

the picture was a joke :p

anyway if you can only see grain in pictures then your screen is fine, like viewing this forum if it isn't grainy then it's fine as the monitor is doing the same thing and there is no real different between a picture and a forum background etc. Movies quality will be to do with the graphics card/cable from pc to monitor/the film/ cpu possibly, a lot of things

just a thought what cable you using to connect the screen to your pc?

Associate
I was also thinking about getting this monitor. My friend has a BenQ FP241w and it looks really nice, although its the price tag that puts me off. I am worried about the dead pixel situation...but surely this has only happened to a couple of people?

Who in this thread has a working version? and are you still happy with it? Im hoping that it works with my Nintendo Wii without distorting the view.

I will definitely go for the PVA version i think...the w241d with USB ports isnt worth the extra £20 or so imho

Soldato
After nearly four weeks, Hyundai are shipping my W241D back on Wednesday :eek:

*Faints*

Anyhow, i will let you know if they managed to fix the backlight bleed and the dodgy noise it was making

I think i will sell this W240 PVA im using now, no point in keeping two of the flippin things lol , although this one has been perfect since day one

just noticed the w241d has been removed from the site, perhaps they have had a lot of trouble with this monitor? i noticed it was out of stock earlier today but i assume they woudln't remove from site if out of stock shor term?

Soldato
just noticed the w241d has been removed from the site, perhaps they have had a lot of trouble with this monitor? i noticed it was out of stock earlier today but i assume they woudln't remove from site if out of stock shor term?

Possibly, although im sure the only difference between the 2 is the USB ports.

Associate
Ordered myself one of these bad boys at the weekend. Should be here tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Took me 2-3 weeks of looking at reviews etc to decide, but the general consensus on web reviews and forums is that this is a spectacular monitor with a few minor drawbacks.

Can't wait! :D Watching my first blu-ray film at 1080p will be heaven :)

Thanks to the guys earlier who were giving reviews on this, really helped.

-Nish

Associate
just a thought what cable you using to connect the screen to your pc?

DVI connected to an NVIDIA 8500GT 1GB (Spare card, my 8800GTS won't fit my motherboard as a heatsink is in the way.. buying smaller heatsink this week)

Now look at this image:

8600GTS%20512MB%20Box%20Front%201.jpg

I am selling that 8600GTS card on eBay and I took the picture and digitally enchanced it in Photoshop CS3 using my CRT monitor. Now when I view that picture with this new Hyundai W240D, there appears to be digital noise in the black/blue area. Does anyone else see noise in that picture? That blue looked much better on my CRT.

Back
Top Bottom