i am fat

Soldato
I started at 133kg myself (5'10") and thanks to the great info and discussion in Sports Arena and a lot of time spent researching on nutrition & sports in general I'm currently sitting at 95kg. I figure I've got about 10-15kg to go then I'll be bulking real slow or maybe doing IF.

Golden rules for ME were:

Figure out your maintenance calories (aka BMR). Subtract 300-500 from this and thats your daily calorie aim. Don't necessarily believe what an online calculator sets your BMR to, work it out yourself by switching up your diet and keeping an eye on the scales.

Have cheat meals, you'll go mad without them. Try your best to make them the same meal every week, ie friday tea time. This gives you something to look forward to and actually helps keep the rest of your diet in check.

Work out with weights 3x a week. This is a personal choice I guess. I hate cardio and have done maybe 10 total cardio session the whole time I've lost this weight. Its boring. Weight training is awesome, read GordyR's sticky if your interested.

Thats about it, consistency is more important than anything. Oh also, don't care too much. I take a very laid back attitude towards the nutrition side of it (yeah It's meant my progress is slower, but I'm not a moody **** for it) ie- I don't stop myself going out on the lash with my mates once in a while, if your doing everything else right it'll course correct over the long term anyway.

This post is brilliant. Be wary of EVERYTHING you read (especially on forums) but overall this post is what I've taken most from.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=553453753#post553453753

gl,hf

Last edited:
Soldato
Its all about self motivation, I have never been that large but I have got to times where I have lost my physique and then I just have to give myself a shake and get out exercising again.

Currently in that phase at the moment doing three 3 mile jogs a week and my weight training in the garage every morning. Tempted to chuck in the old push ups and sit ups soon as well but resisting those for now :p

Soldato
I think you're then going to need to book your self in for some skin removal as the folds of skin left behind by the removal of all the fat will make you look like you should have two bodies!

Associate
First and foremost you're gonna need to get your diet in order. Make sure you are eating less calories than you are burning. Go out for a run almost every day to see if you have the motivation!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Bad news is - to start losing 1kg a week you'll need to limit calories intake to 1500 cal a day. Good news is - it doesn't need to be drastic and you don't need to diet like a girl, in fact, you can easily make it into a diet where you are can eat well, lose weight, while maintaining "bad" habits - for example chilli con carne with potato wedges for breakfast, 6" Subway for lunch and small chicken shish kebab or a
pizza for dinner
, and you'll still have a third of daily allowance left to snack.

Diet like a man, feel awesome, then tell your friends how you shed 50 imperial pounds on pizza and kebabs. For a better effect add "true story" at the end.

Associate
i could do with losing a few stone, iv started eating a lot of whole grain rice, ive always drank a lot of water though so hopefully with some basic cardio i should see some results.

Associate
No, no, and yes. GordyR's guide does contain good advice, the other two are not going to help the OP. They both contain a mixture of good and bad advice.

OP: Read up in the Sports Arena of OcUK, it's a much better place to discuss this than General Discussion. To lose weight all you need to do is eat less calories than you burn. However, that does not mean you should eat whatever junk food you fancy all the time. One of the key aspects of losing weight is having a healthy diet. You're carrying a fair bit of weight, and it will take time to go. Do not attempt to rush it - take things nice and slow, and you'll get there eventually. A target of around 1-2ibs of weight loss a week is generally considered to be healthy and realistic.

Since you're going to the gym I'll say this: if all you do is cardio (i.e running, cycling, rowing etc), whilst on a calorie deficit, you will also lose muscle along the way. There is nothing wrong with doing cardio, infact, it's pretty obvious that it can be a good thing. Read the sticky in the Sports Arena, you'll find lots of useful info in there, and if you have questions after reading it, you can then ask the people in SA. My advice would be for you to do resistance training (weights) a 3-4 times a week, and to add cardio if you want to. Supplement this by having a healthy, protein rich diet, with healthy fats and cards. GordyR's sticky in the SA has a list of foods - take note of them. The reason why I say you should do weights is simple - eating a protein rich diet and doing weights will encourage your body to hold on to as much muscle as it can. If you don't do any resistance training, you'll lose quite a lot of muscle. Find out what your maintenance calorie intake is (the amount of calories your body requires everyday), then subtract that number by 500. That will give you a rough estimation of how much food you should eat every day. It might sound boring, or a chore, but it's worth noting how many calories you are getting from your food, so that you know how much to eat, ensuring that you do not eat too much or too little.

Soldato
The best tip I can give you, is don't expect results overnight, in a week or even in a month because your setting yourself up for failure, and don't check your weight daily because again you will expect results but wont see them straight away.

As suggested drink plenty of water, cardio is the best form of exercise ie jogging, cycling, swimming, football anything you find interesting, heck an hours walk wont do you any harm.

With the above, mix in some light-medium weight training, this will get the far burners going trust me.

And finally don't eat one or two massive meals, instead break them down into smaller 4-5 meals. Put your food on a small plate so your mind doesn't think you don't have enough on. By eating smaller meals more regularly will get your metabolism (fat burning engine) going, combined with all the above win win :)

The golden rules though:

1) dont expect overnight results
2) dont cheat or lie to yourself, stick with it. I know this is very difficult but fight the temptations and old habits
3) enjoy the exercises, if you dont then before you know you will have stopped doing them without realising.
4) drink plenty water
5) dont overdo it

That should sort you out ;)

Last edited:
Associate
By eating smaller meals more regularly will get your metabolism (fat burning engine) going, combined with all the above win win:)
Apart from that I'd agree with your post. The "more meals = faster fat burning" idea has been debunked, and is now considered to be just a myth. Take a look at BennyC's HST & IF journal in the SA, and leangains.com for examples of different meal frequencies working better. There is nothing bad about eating smaller meals in higher frequency, especially since some people find it satisfies their appetite more than eating 2-4 meals a day. The same as some people find eating 2-4 meals per day more satisfying. It boils down to what the individual prefers imo.

Caporegime
I've recently lost almost 2stone in 6 weeks.

Done this by limiting myself to 1000-1200 calories a day and making sure everything I eat is healthy and contains everything I need.

Prerparation is the key here mate, don't not do a food shop and think "ah **** I've not got anything for dinner I'll order a kebab and chips"

Also, my meals are no larger than a cup, so yep, fill up a cup and thats your meal size. First week is hard, but it gives results :)

As far as exercising goes, I walk 5miles a day to and from work so maybe something similar to get yourself going?

Started off at 17st and 5ft 7, currently 15st 3 and still 5ft 7 :p :)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom