I found a broken cat this evening :/

Associate
[ 9OvESdr.jpg

So the supposed stray that visits my parents garden / land got hit by something on the road outside the house this evening. I only happened across him by chance as I was out taking some photos, and thought he was lying a bit oddly waiting to be stroked and was meowing loudly (even though we think he's a stray he doesn't mind a bit of fuss and attention if you can approach him). He has a very large matt in his his tail, but I suppose it's really hard to tell with a country cat as they could wander miles from your house and you'd never know , but why you wouldn't chop out a large bit of matted fur in his tail is beyond me, I certainly would, just looks a bit neglected really.

So taking a few photos of him from 20 odd feet away I got closer and closer and realised something wasn't quite right as he was propped up on his front legs, when I got to him it became clear that his back legs were in a bit of trouble and there was a small amount of blood, at which point I new something had hit the poor bugger and he wasn't moving.

Got back to the house and picked up a mdf board and put a thick blanket on top of it and as carefully as I could, picked him up and plopped him on, he didn't fight or resist, just meowed a little bit.

Got him back to the house and gave him a bowl of water which he lapped up like he hadn't drunk in a week, for at least a few minutes, being in shock a friend said first thing is to try and rehydrate. He kept on trying to get up and could just move his back legs but only in very small amounts, which might mean he isn't paralysed at least. I put a couple of fingers under one of his front paws and he started to grip them with his claws lightly as to say "please help me" which almost brought a tear to my eye!

ddxqjZf.jpg

After 15 minutes on hold with the excuse that is the rspca I told them I would be taking him to the closest vet that was open who we had called prior. Into the car and he's looking around like completely spaced out and has never been inside a car before, pure bewilderment in his eyes having absolutely no clue what was going on.

Got to the vets and it turns out he was microchipped so at some point an owner has cared about this cat (or it was mandatory) so I can only hope they will foot the bill if he can be fixed! The road we live on has quite a few million pound houses + so I'm hoping whatever it is (if not too serious) can be fixed and the owners are happy to do so if insured / want to pay for it etc...

If not, would there be an option for ourselves to pay to have the cat treated? Apparently the owners have been contacted but the vets won't tell us anything until tomorrow until they have visited. I'm hoping it's a neighbour who's close by and their willing to say thanks as we found they're cat and took it to the vets which is the only natural thing to do (when you don't know who owns the pet).

If I hear nothing back I'm going to be really ****** off as it'll just prove that the owners don't give a turd about their pet, but annoyingly I'll never find out who owns the cat anyway due to data protection etc... So here's to hoping for good news tomorrow anyhow! (perhaps I could ahem bribe the vet and find out who owns him !). Also, if it turns out that they don't want to pay to fix him up but we did, that would be such a god dam massive failing on behalf of the rspca to who we initially reported it too, and also the vets for not giving us the opportunity? (to basically adopt the cat)

On the way home I bought as scratch card as I was feeling lucky after finding him out of chance and won a tenner,so good omens and I think the cat will be just fine!

I know you're all cat people on here, so hopefully you enjoyed reading my cat related story this evening and can wish him a speedy recovery! :D also I've written this on my phone so excuse any grammatical faux pars as the cursor keeps jumping!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't post in GD as a rule but good on you for trying to do your best by this cat. Actually looks quite similar to one of mine (though a lot larger and thankfully mine is fully accounted for right now).

I hope the cat makes it through.

Associate
Aww the poor little fella, I hope the owners do come forward and pay the vet to get him fixed up good and proper and that he makes a full recovery. Good on ya mate, you definitely did the right thing and could have quite possibly saved the little guy's life :)
You absolutely deserve that tenner you won, if only there were more people like you.
Keep us updated with any news that you here.

Soldato
:( I found my current cat in a similar state. Almost exactly the same markings as well. Once the owners were tracked down I offered to pay the vet bills as long as they transferred the chip ownership to me.

I wish you and the little guy the best of luck.

Associate
Poor little thing!

Good on you for going so far out of your way to help the poor thing out! Hopefully it all has a happy ending. It sounds like there was definitely a great case of timing with you luckily stumbling across the cat!

Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom