I has Sandybridge - Excellent service OCUK

IIRC you can hit 5GHz by being creative with the volts, with just under 1.40 on the CPU vcore. Now I am not as hot on the MSI BIOS as the Asus but in the Asus you can adjust VRM voltage :D

We overclocked the i5-2500K by first setting the Load-Line Calibration of the Asus P8P67 to Extreme. We then set the Base Clock to 104.7MHz and the CPU multiplier to 47x for an overall frequency of 4.92GHz. To make this stable, we set the CPU voltage to 1.35V, the CPU PLL to 1.9V, the VCCSA to 1.1V and the VCCIO to 1.106V. See How to Overclock an LGA1155 CPU for more details on how we overclocked all the CPUs.

Sorry, but am not really clear here... who is the 'We' you mention, and where can I find the 'article' to which you refer?

Sounds interesting though! :)

Thanks

Looks good look forward to finding out how it performs, I wish I had the cash to buy it just to say I have it and extend my E-Penis a little bit further!

Temps at idle after 1 hour of prime 95 small fft and a 5 minute rest
Idle fan now set at 37.5%

lowtemps.jpg

IIRC you can hit 5GHz by being creative with the volts, with just under 1.40 on the CPU vcore. Now I am not as hot on the MSI BIOS as the Asus but in the Asus you can adjust VRM voltage :D

I think you're right, I can hit 4802mhz at 1.39v, so with a bit of adjustment of the other voltages I reckon this board will also. Just need some other guinea pigs, I mean purchasers of this board to try :p

I hope so!
Didi you just change the multi to get this high?

I pressed the OC genie button on the mobo and rebooted, but I think you can just set the multi to 42 to get the same result.

Here is a guide to getting 4.2

1. Enter UEFI bios

2. Set multi to 42

3. Save and close

Jobs a good'un, if a little bit too easy ;)

Hey,

Thanks for the clarification - thought the temps were insanely low for his overclock speed! Even at idle.. I'm sorely tempted to upgrade, but I only recently changed to i5...... what to do :p

Well they have a low BCLK of 100 MHz. LGA1366 CPUs also clock down to 1.6 GHz (133 x 12) by default. Unfortunately, without an unlocked multiplier, that minimum speed is increased when overclocking. With Sandy Bridge, you can get a 5 GHz chip still clocking down to 1.6 GHz when idle, which is great.

Back
Top Bottom