I have been suspended from work today.

Soldato
******Thread bump from 2016. Update on last post.*****

Hi guys.

I clocked in at work earlier to start my shift 11:30am - 8:30pm and immediately I was ushered into the Managers office and I was told I was to be suspended on contractual pay (full pay) for today. I have a meeting tomorrow at 15:30.

I have absolutely no idea what for. I was NOT told the reason for my suspension. I was not in work on Sunday. My last shift was Saturday 5:00am - 12 midday. I am banging my head against the desk trying to work out what it could be for.

I know some of you would probably say there's more to this than I am letting on but, hand on heart I am lost for any reason what so ever for this suspension.

Here is the letter with names etc blanked out.

susletter_zpsp66srhts.jpg

With me not being in the union, whether this may be against me I do not know as I have never been in this situation before am am unsure if this letter and the procedure they have taken is right. Looking at the .gov site I should be told the reason. Will me NOT being told have any affect on this meeting/suspension?

Edit: I know this is work related but would GD be better for advice (lol) as there is probably more traffic there? If a MOD could decide this, I am OK for this thread to be moved there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Umm sorry I can't really help but I'm sure you're allowed to take a witness into these sort of meetings and a day doesn't seem like long enough notice.

But if you truly have no Idea what it is about I believe they should have to tell you so you can gather any evidence you need to defend yourself otherwise your walking in blind and it's unfair.

I'd contact the manager that you're allowed to and see if you can find out what it is about. If you need time to gather proof of anything then re-arrange the meeting

Man of Honour
So you've been suspended for an incident that occurred when you were not even in the building?

Been writing naughty things about people at work on social media or anything like that?

Soldato
You have not been kerb crawling in the company van? Lol only joking but as tom e said you were not in the building on the day of the incident?

Soldato
Take a representative with you.

Was there anything you might have been expected to do on the Saturday that may have caused an issue for the Sunday workers?

Were they expecting you in on the Sunday?

Soldato
Hmm , had a something like this happen a while ago

Meeting #1 (No person to accompany you - set your phone to record audio before meeting and bring it with you - you will want a record of this for later on)
1. Usually they have a meeting first were they tell you what you are accused of and you can give a reply to account for yourself. They normally will present some "evidence" which you are entitled to a copy of , along with any company rule books (so you can see what you are accused of breaking)
They have to tell you why you are going to be suspended.

Meeting #2
2. Then you get suspended and they will contact you later regarding a hearing, they have to give you a couple of days min to prepare yourself and organise someone to come with you (co-worker generally), basically time to organise a defence to the case.

Luckily I had free access to a employment lawyer to help me out.

Advice, Get company handbook/rule book ASAP. Phone CAB or if you are in a Union contact your Rep NOW!

Soldato
OP

Was there anything you might have been expected to do on the Saturday that may have caused an issue for the Sunday workers?

Day off. Didn't leave the house apart from nipping to Aldi. I finished my Sat shift with my boss. Everything was fine.

Man of Honour
No he wasn't in on that day, he stated this already. :)

He works in a supermarket IIRC so while he may not have been working it doesn't mean he wasn't there.

Edit: clarified above.

Looks like you're just going to have to wait and see then, have a read of those links I posted.

Caporegime

it doesn't have to have been something related to Sunday... it could have been something that happened two weeks ago

Soldato
Don't think you have the right to bring someone to this particular "fact-finding" meeting. You do for later disciplinary meetings, though.

I'm not sure on the legality of not informing you of what the "incident" is, prior to the fact-finding meeting.

Feels like they've gotten something/someone mixed up really.

Soldato
Has anyone else received a similar letter? It could be a department thing and so they have suspended a few people whilst they look into it.
Do you have to sign into any systems? Someone may have used your details.

Could be a number of reasons for it I guess.

Associate
It could be an incident entirely unrelated to you, which seems it is, and your employer may just want everyone out of the way who may have direct or indirect contact with whatever happened to ensure their investigations are undertaken without an outside or inside bias.

I wouldn't be too worried if it was me, if you are worried then take someone with you to the hearing and ask if they can be present during, as others have said already.

Soldato
OP
Has anyone else received a similar letter? It could be a department thing and so they have suspended a few people whilst they look into it.
Do you have to sign into any systems? Someone may have used your details.

Could be a number of reasons for it I guess.

I am not aware of anyone else getting letters/suspension but then again with not being allowed to talk to staff etc no-one would no anything different

Back
Top Bottom