I have been suspended from work today.

Caporegime
I'd imagine it's relating to an incident on 3rd July.

ah oops...

could you have done something in your shift the day before that caused an issue on the 3rd?

Like they come in the next day and find a bunch of freezers turned off and hundreds of pounds worth of food now ruined etc..

Man of Honour
I got samsung S5. how do i record on that? not used that feature yet or wold I have to download anything?

I'm going on memory here but I'm sure Samsungs come with an app called recorder or something similar.
Failing that just look on the play store there'll be loads of recording apps.

Associate
I wonder if the incident is serious enough for the police to get involved and it's on their advice that they have suspended the shift.

If you have employee T&Cs to hand it might be worthwhile having a quick read of the suspension process to confirm if this is something out of the ordinary.

Man of Honour
If you work in financial services or there is any suspicion of illegal activity then to tell you would be classed as "Tipping off" which in it's own right is an offence. So may be they can't.. It must be serious :(

Associate
Also got my voice call recorder set up in case of any phone calls. just have to make sure I tell work I will be recording the call I presume thats the best way to do it.

Any recording without knowledge or acceptance will not be usable further down the line should you need but I doubt if you tell them they will allow you to record the meeting.

Soldato
I worked for a supermarket for over 8 years, in that time I was disciplined and suspended a few times, one thing you need to do is join the union asap, even if it wont help you for this case, supermarket managers tend to attempt to do as they please, getting away with 'it' because no one else knows their rights and the managers don't really know how properly to behave either.

The process I was always led down, was, the first initial meeting where they discuss with you the issue and whether or not its going forward.

Then they inform you are being suspended, then you'll get the letter inviting you in for a disciplinary meeting. In every meeting you are entitled to union representation or a witness.

I've no idea what you've done, have you ever grazed or something along those lines? could be they've been looking back through cctv and investigated you for something over the last few weeks?

Depending on the severity or whether they like you, chances are you'll get off with a written warning or final written, either way you'll be entitled to appeal and should regardless of outcome, even if its just to reduce the punishment.

I believe because you were not informed first of the issue in the initial meeting they will not be able to uphold anything as they haven't followed the correct procedure. They have to follow it by the book for anything to stick.

Also got my voice call recorder set up in case of any phone calls. just have to make sure I tell work I will be recording the call I presume thats the best way to do it.

Legally, you have to notify the caller that you are recording the call in this country.

Soldato
OP
Just called ACAS advice line. Very helpful to. they said as the letter and suspension is only for investigating it could mean that its' not about me but could be about some one else and to make things easier for all parties it's best to keep them out of the work place, I can see that point of view. So I could be just a witness to something or I may know something about something or some one. Could be anything.

Roll on tomorrow.:)

Soldato
do you have access to your company's disciplinary procedures?

take advice of others and record the meeting. if it is something you have done then stop the meeting if you ever feel uncomfortable, come out of it and seek proper help.

do you have a union on site? i know your not a member but any union rep(such as myself ) worth their weight can give you some advice on how to proceed.

Man of Honour
Good chance that you are recorded as one of the people involved in the incident at some stage i.e. high value stock going missing that came to light on Sunday that you are logged on the system as having put away or whatever at some point and they've suspended everyone that has been logged in the system so as to avoid contamination of the chain of evidence until its resolved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom