• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5-2500K time to upgrade??

Associate
can someone help me OC my 2500k? i tried once and it was perfect, last time i tried i messes the voltages and the pc started turning of and on itself loads of times in a row..
Scary moment :D

There is a good video on TB on how to OC this CPU ! Just make sure you have a watercooler or a good cooler before you overclock ! Don't use the standard Fan that come with the CPU !its not designed for the heat from OC , I only O/C mine a few weeks ago and wish I did it sooner , PC runs so much better now and even renders better in sony vegas.

Associate
OP
There is a good video on TB on how to OC this CPU ! Just make sure you have a watercooler or a good cooler before you overclock ! Don't use the standard Fan that come with the CPU !its not designed for the heat from OC , I only O/C mine a few weeks ago and wish I did it sooner , PC runs so much better now and even renders better in sony vegas.

I have oc'd the Cpu to 4.4ghz with my 212x evo dual fan(it looks like a brick inside my pc)
Temps never go up 59c under stress tests or benchmarks :)

Soldato
Any recommendations for a good motherboard to keep an eye out for second hand to give some new life to my i5-2500k?

I bought it as bundle with an Asus P8H67-MLE which I've discovered is as useful for overclocking as an easter egg :o Still it was a good price all those years ago.

Want to build a second system for work so might use the Asus M/B above for that and either pick up a cheap CPU or see if I can find a good deal on an i7 / MB second hand and move the 2500k. Would be a shame to not at least try to overclock it but my emphasis has always been on a quiet system so might have to spend a bit on a decent cooler.

Am i right in saying that its only really DX12 games that have started to make proper use of multiple cores / HT?

Last edited:
Soldato
Any recommendations for a good motherboard to keep an eye out for second hand to give some new life to my i5-2500k?

I bought it as bundle with an Asus P8H67-MLE which I've discovered is as useful for overclocking as an easter egg :o Still it was a good price all those years ago.

Want to build a second system for work so might use the Asus M/B above for that and either pick up a cheap CPU or see if I can find a good deal on an i7 / MB second hand and move the 2500k. Would be a shame to not at least try to overclock it but my emphasis has always been on a quiet system so might have to spend a bit on a decent cooler.

Am i right in saying that its only really DX12 games that have started to make proper use of multiple cores / HT?

I use an AIO 120mm radiator on my 2500K @4.6 and it's very quiet, not silent but perfectly acceptable to me. Depends more on what fans you have and how they are controlled.

Associate
The upgrade itch is killing me, my 2500k is running at 4.5 and only really gets quite hot playing the division. A Ryzen keeps calling me and I'm not 100% sure why. Basket is loaded up and ready to buy and collect from ocuk, should i pull the trigger.

Soldato
The upgrade itch is killing me, my 2500k is running at 4.5 and only really gets quite hot playing the division. A Ryzen keeps calling me and I'm not 100% sure why. Basket is loaded up and ready to buy and collect from ocuk, should i pull the trigger.

It depends on if you can be patient whilst the many bugs are ironed out. The higher end boards are having better success with memory speeds however not a single configuration is without its faults. If you like stability then wait it out or go intel.

Associate
It depends on if you can be patient whilst the many bugs are ironed out. The higher end boards are having better success with memory speeds however not a single configuration is without its faults. If you like stability then wait it out or go intel.

Never been one to spend lots on a motherboard, was thinking of a gigabyte gaming 3.

Soldato
The b350 platform is currently struggling with ram speeds, more so than the x370 which is also struggling. If you have faith in AMD and like tinkering then go for it. That been said since I've had mine I've spent more time rebooting and in the bios than gaming or anything productive.

Soldato

No I would not recommended it.

Found some youtube videos showed 2500K at 4.5GHz and Ryzen 1700 temps but I cant find The Division videos showed Ryzen temp.

2500K at 4.5GHz max temp is 64C played The Division.

Ryzen 1700 at stock 3.7GHz max temp 69C played Battlefield 1.

I am really shocked to see Ryzen 1700 temp in Battlefield with GTX 1070.

My 3770K never reached that crazy high temp in Battlefield 1, it stayed around 55C whole time. My 3770K blew Ryzen 1700 out of water to shame in Battlefield 1 peformance and temp. :cool:

Soldato
No I would not recommended it.

Found some youtube videos showed 2500K at 4.5GHz and Ryzen 1700 temps but I cant find The Division videos showed Ryzen temp.

2500K at 4.5GHz max temp is 64C played The Division.

Ryzen 1700 at stock 3.7GHz max temp 69C played Battlefield 1.

I am really shocked to see Ryzen 1700 temp in Battlefield with GTX 1070.

My 3770K never reached that crazy high temp in Battlefield 1, it stayed around 55C whole time. My 3770K blew Ryzen 1700 out of water to shame in Battlefield 1 peformance and temp. :cool:

You are using a corsair h80i though. Most people that have the 1700 are on stock coolers due to companies like corsair not being able to supply the mounting kits.

Soldato
You are using a corsair h80i though. Most people that have the 1700 are on stock coolers due to companies like corsair not being able to supply the mounting kits.

If you click youtube button on Ryzen 1700 Battlefield 1 clip and direct to youtube site and you will see what cooler the technician guy used for benchmark, I copied and pasted it below:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7 GHz
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i v2
GPU - Zotac Geforce GTX 1070
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (2x8)
Mobo - Gigabyte AX370 - Gaming 5

So technician guy not used stock cooler, actually he used Corsair H100i v2 cooler and mounting bracket which is already AM4 compatible.

I dont know what temp would look like if used stock cooler, probably very hot at higher temp somewhere like 80C.

Not impressed! If I had stock cooler at 80C and I would be stripped naked and sweating all the time while playing with all heat dumped from CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
C6AHkWqWgAAPobf.jpg

well you can more than double the fps in BF1 MP almost triple it in 1080p
so yes its time.
ryzen 1600x when it arrives is likely to be the best upgrade people do.

What website is this chart from?

Soldato
If you click youtube button on Ryzen 1700 Battlefield 1 clip and direct to youtube site and you will see what cooler the technician guy used for benchmark, I copied and pasted it below:

So technician guy not used stock cooler, actually he used Corsair H100i v2 cooler and mounting bracket which is already AM4 compatible.

I dont know what temp would look like if used stock cooler, probably very hot at higher temp somewhere like 80C.

Not impressed! If I had stock cooler at 80C and I would be stripped naked and sweating all the time while playing with all heat dumped from CPU cooler.

I did not see that but yes ryzen is hotter than intel. But it has double the cores. Those cores are going to generate extra heat you don't get something for nothing.

Associate
My 2500k runs hot as is. Maybe it's age is a factor, and it won't hold a 4.5 clock less than 1.4v.

I get 72-73 Deg playing the division

Associate
I'm personally waiting on cannonlake before I upgrade it's due early 2018. Improvements have been so suttle the past few generation is seems pointless to upgrade especially if all you do is game. Though on the plus side of slow incremental improvments generation over generation is that hardware lifespan increases greatly.

Back
Top Bottom