• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5-2500K time to upgrade??

Associate
Hello, i have a i5 2500k do you guys think its time to upgrade?
This is gonna be a bit hard for me atm as im gonna to upgrade the cpu,mobo,ram?!
i use it for gaming only...
Atm i have this

I5-2500k
Gigabyte z68ap-d3 rev 1
16GB Ram ddr3 1600mhz
Asus Strix rx 480 8GB OC

Soldato
What games do you play? Games such as BF1 loves lots of cores. If you're on a budget then a 26/700k would be a cheap upgrade and a fairly good match for your gpu still.

Otherwise it's basically a whole system upgrade near enough as you'd need a cpu, mobile and ddr4 ram like you say, which soon gets very expensive.

In my opinion, my 2600k is still doing great. Yes a new cpu would be an upgrade, but I don't need to upgrade at great expense while I'm still getting good frame rates and no stuttering or anything.

Soldato
C6AHkWqWgAAPobf.jpg

well you can more than double the fps in BF1 MP almost triple it in 1080p
so yes its time.
ryzen 1600x when it arrives is likely to be the best upgrade people do.

Soldato
Do you have performance issues and is your CPU the cause? Otherwise, no today is not time to upgrade. Still rockin' my i5 2500k here and with the current offerings I'm not seeing much worth spending my money on to upgrade. Of course if Ryzen delivers on the hype and Intel respond then that situation could change significantly.

Caporegime
I jumped off my 4.6ghz 2500k to a 6700k about 7 months ago now. At the same time I got a 1070.

I cba to bench anything at the time but it was a noticeable boost which felt rewarding enough.

Was it really worth it? Not at all really and I really should build something with those old sandy bridge parts....

Associate
For just gaming your probably OK with Rx 480 and 2500k if it is overlooked to ~4.5Ghz. I'm still on 2500K with Fury Gpu and main reason I want to upgrade is video work not gaming.

Soldato
Related question, anyone have a measure of the single-thread performance of Ryzen vs a 2500k?

I tend to run things like modded Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, or WoW, which hog 1-2 cores and disregard the rest. (Seen Cities Skylines max all 4 though, so that would probably love Ryzen!)

Soldato
Looks to be haswell-ish, though there are some issues at the moment which make it a little difficult to get a handle on.

The 8 core chips "only" clock to 3.9-4.0GHz though from what I can see, the the intel quads will pull ahead when clocked

Associate
OP
Tbh i dont have issues with games, only thing i do notice is on BF1, for some reason when i try to play on ultra it fails a bit? i have stuttering and some lagg.
Should a i5 2500k not oc'd paired with a RX 480 8gb be able to run this on ultra 60fps?
now i have a 32 inch 1980x1080 144hz monitor(got it yesterday,just a experimentation on the big screen material)

Associate
OP
can someone help me OC my 2500k? i tried once and it was perfect, last time i tried i messes the voltages and the pc started turning of and on itself loads of times in a row..
Scary moment :D

Soldato
can someone help me OC my 2500k? i tried once and it was perfect, last time i tried i messes the voltages and the pc started turning of and on itself loads of times in a row..
Scary moment :D
If you go to the "overclocking and cooling" section of this forum, at the top left corner select search, type in "overclocking 2500K" then further down select the relevant forum (the one you're in) then hit search, you'll have a list as long as your arm to choose from, basically the entire knowledge base of the world is in there:p

Back
Top Bottom