• easyrider

Votes: 128 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
to overclock you use the best cooling method available to you

i have used air for the 860

hope this is ok with you

the reason i bench on water is because if i just said the chip could do 4ghz [or whatever the max on air is]
then you wouldnt see how far they push

i have already posted what air temps are for the 750
and i will post air results tonight

but to be honest, air cooling is boring
i like taking hardware to its limits and seeing what it can do

we all know an i7 920 sits at around 75'c under load at 4GHz on most of the decent air coolers

knock around 5'c off for the 860
knock around 10'c off for the 750

you really dont need to see air results

if i was benching on LN2 or SS then i could understand :rolleyes:

I can understand your pain :p

HOWEVER, most of us don't work where you do or have the dosh to play with such mega-stuff!!:D

So, for the paupies amongst us PLEASE put aside your frustrations!

[big enough creep, ya reckon??:cool:]

Soldato

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
added new 860 results now - crrently adding to the Wprime tables with 860 results also

You want Intel® Core™ i7 Processor results posted in the Intel® Core™ i5 thread? :D

You should have called it the Socket LGA1156 Overclocking thread! ;)

this

Caporegime
You want Intel® Core™ i7 Processor results posted in the Intel® Core™ i5 thread? :D

You should have called it the Socket LGA1156 Overclocking thread! ;)

Not really. I meant the i5 results

Best to keep the chips seperate.

After all its a about the CPU not the socket.

Keeps things easier to search and find on the forums.

860's and 870's clocks should be posted in here ***The Official Core i7 Overclocking Thread***

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17949771

Last edited:
Soldato
its a about the CPU not the socket.
Then you should have called it . . .

***The Official Lynnfield Overclocking Thread*** :D

And for gods sake put it in the Overclocking & Cooling section heh! :p

860's and 870's clocks should be posted in here ***The Official Core i7 Overclocking Thread***
Lynnfield i7 is a different CPU, a different platform, why would you want them in the same thread as Bloomfield/LGA1366 :confused:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
wow - anyone got any opinions on the results?

or should i make a poll

***the official - 'who is right?' thread***
Big.Wayne
easyrider

Soldato
rjkoneill just make a new thread and let that be the end of it! :D

You have the hardware, you have the most Lynnfield clocking experience out of anybody of this forum so please do it!

***The Official Lynnfield Overclocking Thread***

A thread is meant to be a technical resource for people that wanna learn/need help, its not meant to be an ego trip! :cool:

I know its tradition for easyrider to host these kinda threads but I feel change is good, more importantly from a technical perspective they are very different CPUs and platform from the older i7, the BIOS settings will all be different etc etc

I would be really useful to have a thread populated by Lynnfield owners all sharing results info etc! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It won't work bulldog147, the Core i7 is now split across two platforms and will cause more confusion for owners of Bloomfield i7 vs Lynnfield i7

Bios settings will be different, results will not be comparable, just a big pile of confusion heh! :p

It's Intel's fault of course! :D

Caporegime
rjkoneill just make a new thread and let that be the end of it! :D

You have the hardware, you have the most Lynnfield clocking experience out of anybody of this forum so please do it!

***The Official Lynnfield Overclocking Thread***

A thread is meant to be a technical resource for people that wanna learn/need help, its not meant to be an ego trip! :cool:

I know its tradition for easyrider to host these kinda threads but I feel change is good, more importantly from a technical perspective they are very different CPUs and platform from the older i7, the BIOS settings will all be different etc etc

I would be really useful to have a thread populated by Lynnfield owners all sharing results info etc! :)

It makes it too confusing.

For starters 860/870 i7 have HT. And wading through a mixture of I7 Lynnfield results when people want to compare i5 results is a nonsense.

Both i5 and i7 Lynnfield need seperate threads.

And its not an EGO trip. I support and help people maximise their clocks in all my CPU overclocking threads. And considering you have never outclocked me you have no basis to remark! :p

Soldato
I would say have a thread for the i5 750 it's probally going to be the most popular choice anyway because everyones tight fisted on here j/k lol. :p (not forgetting no HT.)

Also have a separate thread for i7 860/870 because they have HT but dont put them in the X58 chipset thread because P55 CPU's have an itergrated memory controller so thats going to effect overclocking to some degree.

Keep the X58 chipset clocks in their own thread, people dont want to be wading through 1 thread with loads of crap in it.

Caporegime
Why would Core i5 Lynnfield users want to see Core i7 Lynnfield results in the same thread as easyrider suggested? :confused:

Fixed

***The Official Core i5 Overclocking Thread***

***The Official Core i7 Lynnfield Overclocking Thread***

On this rare Occasion INTEL have the same Model CPU on a different socket this is the way forward. :)

Agreed?

Caporegime
I would say have a thread for the i5 750 it's probally going to be the most popular choice anyway because everyones tight fisted on here j/k lol. :p (not forgetting no HT.)

Also have a separate thread for i7 860/870 because they have HT but dont put them in the X58 chipset thread because P55 CPU's have an itergrated memory controller so thats going to effect overclocking to some degree.

Keep the X58 chipset clocks in their own thread, people dont want to be wading through 1 thread with loads of crap in it.

Yup

Back
Top Bottom