• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Couldn't care less to be honest, I have never been so bored watching a video for a long time.

You were bored since it is not relevant to you, as you don't care if the products are within the specifications they are being sold/advertised with and that is perfectly normal for a bog standard consumer and PC enthusiast. The information being provided highlights the disparity between vendors, and the ability to conform to a set of clearly layed out specifications and how the results effect the end user and those purchasing the products.

Associate
You were bored since it is not relevant to you, as you don't care if the products are within the specifications they are being sold/advertised with and that is perfectly normal for a bog standard consumer and PC enthusiast. The information being provided highlights the disparity between vendors, and the ability to conform to a set of clearly layed out specifications and how the results effect the end user and those purchasing the products.
I nearly fell asleep just reading that so god forbid what the video is like.

Associate
You should seek medical help if you can't read a small paragraph of text, about a subject you apparently are interested in given the forum you are browsing. :rolleyes:

Nope I just tried again, that paragraph is literally like a 2D representation of the Tardis.. it looks really small but for some reason I just can't get to the end of it. Seriously that's a skill you need to find a an outlet for it.

Associate
Excellent thanks :)

Is it making much of a difference to temps? Looking to get one for my custom water cooled rig :cool:
It is, but there are still gains to be made by delidding and using something like Liquid metal.

How much depends on who you ask.

Der8auer seems to have seen the largest gains and went even further by grinding down the silicon die to reduce the height and improve temps.

Another place that sells delidded and binned CPUs said they were seeing 4-8 degrees change with liquid metal which added around 25mhz at the same voltage vs non delidded. Talking specifically about lapping the die, they said that the gains were so small that it wasn't worth the effort.
(Steve at gamers nexus said Der8auer spent a week getting his right).

The general consensus from users is that the CPU runs cooler than or as cool as the 8700k while having 2 more cores and higher clocks. My own experience confirms this but there were good and bad 8700ks and I'm sure there are better and worse 9900ks out there.

But it does seem much better than the toothpaste.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is, but there are still gains to be made by delidding and using something like Liquid metal.

How much depends on who you ask.

Der8auer seems to have seen the largest gains and went even further by grinding down the silicon die to reduce the height and improve temps.

Another place that sells delidded and binned CPUs said they were seeing 4-8 degrees change with liquid metal which added around 25mhz at the same voltage vs non delidded. Talking specifically about lapping the die, they said that the gains were so small that it wasn't worth the effort.
(Steve at gamers nexus said Der8auer spent a week getting his right).

The general consensus from users is that the CPU runs cooler than or as cool as the 8700k while having 2 more cores and higher clocks. My own experience confirms this but there were good and bad 8700ks and I'm sure there are better and worse 9900ks out there.

But it does seem much better than the toothpaste.
Appreciate the info :)

So the 8700k still runs cooler if de-lidded vs the 9900k stock?

Associate
Appreciate the info :)

So the 8700k still runs cooler if de-lidded vs the 9900k stock?

Looking at user reports of temps after delid on an 8086k at 5GHz vs user reported temps of non delid 9900k at 5GHz it seems like the 9900k matches the delid temps.

Keep in mind that there is no way to verify these reports from strangers posting in internet forums. ;)

So the temps of a 9900k vs a delidded 8700k seem comparable. But again, it depends on the chip quality, there are exceptional 8 series and 9 series cpus out there with low temps and complete dogs of cpus that burn hotter than the sun. But on average, from user feedback, that is what I'm seeing when searching.

Edit - my sample size isn't huge and the 9 series hasnt been out long so with more time and research you'd get a better idea.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looking at user reports of temps after delid on an 8086k at 5GHz vs user reported temps of non delid 9900k at 5GHz it seems like the 9900k matches the delid temps.

Keep in mind that there is no way to verify these reports from strangers posting in internet forums. ;)

So the temps of a 9900k vs a delidded 8700k seem comparable. But again, it depends on the chip quality, there are exceptional 8 series and 9 series cpus out there with low temps and complete dogs of cpus that burn hotter than the sun. But on average, from user feedback, that is what I'm seeing when searching.
Ah that's good to know, and fully understand the differences in CPUs, just glad to know that the temps are comparable :)

Thanks again :)

Associate
Np. The cooling being used also makes a difference as well as ambient temps. So it is hard to compare. But my takeaway so far at least, is that on the whole end users are seeing the benefits of the Solder TIM.

Soldato
That hardware unboxed guy clearly has some kind of agenda with these videos
You clearly have an agenda if you can only attack the person and not their data. If you have some specific problems with his methodology, why don't you share them?

/edit/ Oh look, you ordered a 9900K recently... no relation to why you're unhappy about his video though, I'm sure. Just an impartial observer looking for the truth. ;)

Sem

Sem

Soldato
You clearly have an agenda if you can only attack the person and not their data. If you have some specific problems with his methodology, why don't you share them?

/edit/ Oh look, you ordered a 9900K recently... no relation to why you're unhappy about his video though, I'm sure. Just an impartial observer looking for the truth. ;)

ROLF lol some people are so funny :D

Back
Top Bottom