• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
I have cancelled my order. I may regret this but everyone of my bones was crying out to wait for Ryzen3000. I think it's going to pay off. This 9000 launch was just a mess from word go.
I don't think you will be dissapointed with zen 2.

If i was in any doubt about the 9900k i would have waited but I'm very happy. Though I can see why people might want to wait.

Associate
That's actually not bad for 1.35v. With 5 at 1.28-1.3 it should be a fair chunk lower. Avx offset seems a must.
Following the video posted a few down I've settled (for now) on my 9900K running at 5Ghz/1.33V (ran about 10 consecutive cinebench runs without crashing), with an AVX offset of 2 . Currently getting about 75-80c on Cinebench runs and about 85-90c on small FFT Prime95 runs (AVX enabled, but I don't think Small FFTs is a realistic workload?) with 245W of power draw. VRMs hit 70c.
Running a blend test on Prime95 (AVX) currently maxes around 73c but usually runs a little cooler (5Ghz with AVX offset of 2). VRM is 60c.
Of course this is with my 3000MHz RAM as mentioned earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM
This is all you need. Will be interesting to see how much 3000mhz RAM holds you back.

Will 3000mhz RAM really be such a bottleneck with the 9900K? Will getting 3600mhz make that big a difference? Especially with video encoding etc.?
I also wonder whether getting a Z390 Maximus XI Hero will make things run cooler?

Soldato
Should there be any marks on the cpu, my 9900k has arrived, never bought tray before so not sure how there stored, but there's a cpu die sized shape Mark on the HIS, will take a pic after dinner. Sure it's fine.

Associate
Should there be any marks on the cpu, my 9900k has arrived, never bought tray before so not sure how there stored, but there's a cpu die sized shape Mark on the HIS, will take a pic after dinner. Sure it's fine.
I've bought 3, all had light marking on the top but no marking on the sides where a mobo clamp would leave marks.
(Different sellers, similar pattern, possibly from tray stacking perhaps?)

From what i can tell this is normal, but any marking on the edges would indicate that it has been installed in a mobo.

Soldato
I've bought 3, all had light marking on the top but no marking on the sides where a mobo clamp would leave marks.
(Different sellers, similar pattern, possibly from tray stacking perhaps?)

From what i can tell this is normal, but any marking on the edges would indicate that it has been installed in a mobo.

That's reassuring to know, don't think there's marks on the clamping sides.

Associate
The marks on mine were almost directly over the die. One looked like small corners. Another looked like a H kind of. The other was similar to the first.

IIRC they were rectangular if i were to join what i assume where corner marks. But in the end i found it is common so i got over it. I did wonder at first if i had been given a pre tested cpu, but that was with my 8700k from another place.
When i got the 9900k and saw the same marks i knew it was fine.

Soldato
I have cancelled my order. I may regret this but everyone of my bones was crying out to wait for Ryzen3000. I think it's going to pay off. This 9000 launch was just a mess from word go.

You made a wise choice. Considering that the current 7nm process allow either 60% power reduction or 30%+ more clocks at same power....
5.2Ghz Ryzen 3xxxx isn't some wild dreams.

Associate
You made a wise choice. Considering that the current 7nm process allow either 60% power reduction or 30%+ more clocks at same power....
5.2Ghz Ryzen 3xxxx isn't some wild dreams.
I hope they come out with something amazing. :cool:
I would love to see AMD comfortably on top (at least for gaming) and see how it shakes up the PC space.

Associate
Got mine installed today - upgrading from a 6700k - and I'm pretty much blown away by it. By my reckoning each core is about 50% faster than the old i7, which I really wasn't expecting given the modest increase in clock speed (was at 4.8GHz previously). By virtue of that and double the cores, 3D rendering performance (a significant thing for me) is way over three times more powerful.

As for gaming, I was hoping for big gains in VR cos I knew my 1080Ti was severely CPU-limited. Am now running Assetto Corsa with 200% supersampling and it doesn't skip a beat at 90fps, it's a huge difference. While running a few benchmarks before upgrading I was surprised to see I was also CPU-limited in Assassin's Creed Odyssey @2560x1440. GPU usage never went above 70%. Needless to say that's not the case anymore, Min/Avg/Max FPS went from 14/58/81 to 43/79/137. Considering I thought I had a decent gaming CPU previously, that's pretty astonishing.

I get that much of the above would be pretty similar with an 8700k or many other recent CPUs, but from a personal point of view I know the two extra cores will prove useful.

Haven't done much in the way of overclocking yet. The Asus (Hero) AI optimistically tried 5.3 but that wasn't stable. I am however now at 5.2 (still with the auto-overclocking) and that seems fine. Max temp I've seen so far is 70C, which is probably because I've got 600mm of radiators dedicated to the CPU since my GPU isn't in the loop any more.

Feeling quite pleased this evening.

Associate
Got mine installed today - upgrading from a 6700k - and I'm pretty much blown away by it. By my reckoning each core is about 50% faster than the old i7, which I really wasn't expecting given the modest increase in clock speed (was at 4.8GHz previously). By virtue of that and double the cores, 3D rendering performance (a significant thing for me) is way over three times more powerful.

As for gaming, I was hoping for big gains in VR cos I knew my 1080Ti was severely CPU-limited. Am now running Assetto Corsa with 200% supersampling and it doesn't skip a beat at 90fps, it's a huge difference. While running a few benchmarks before upgrading I was surprised to see I was also CPU-limited in Assassin's Creed Odyssey @2560x1440. GPU usage never went above 70%. Needless to say that's not the case anymore, Min/Avg/Max FPS went from 14/58/81 to 43/79/137. Considering I thought I had a decent gaming CPU previously, that's pretty astonishing.

I get that much of the above would be pretty similar with an 8700k or many other recent CPUs, but from a personal point of view I know the two extra cores will prove useful.

Haven't done much in the way of overclocking yet. The Asus (Hero) AI optimistically tried 5.3 but that wasn't stable. I am however now at 5.2 (still with the auto-overclocking) and that seems fine. Max temp I've seen so far is 70C, which is probably because I've got 600mm of radiators dedicated to the CPU since my GPU isn't in the loop any more.

Feeling quite pleased this evening.

Sounds good.

How did the Asus auto overclocking change from 5.3 to trying 5.2? Did you have to fiddle with it yourself?

Associate
Well that's impossible, lol. Glad you like your purchase though.
Have you looked at any benchmarks outside of gaming for the 9900k?
I took a look at one comparison and it completes tasks like encoding, encryption and compression 100% faster stock for stock vs the 6700k. More in some cases, less in others. Overclocking each CPU keeps the gains for the 9900k.
I don't know how this translates to 3d rendering performance, but it seems far from impossible.

Associate
Sounds good.

How did the Asus auto overclocking change from 5.3 to trying 5.2? Did you have to fiddle with it yourself?
First was run from the BIOS, second from AI suite. Dunno what caused the discrepancy.

Well that's impossible, lol. Glad you like your purchase though.
That's honestly what I'd have thought as well. The tests I did were running a couple of macros on 3D-modelling operations which are single-threaded. With the 6700k they were 22 and 26 seconds which reduced to 16 and 17. That's 37 and 52% faster. Rendering on all threads, an image which took 1:54 on the 6700k is done in 34 seconds.

Plan for the Skylake bits is to resurrect them as a living room PC. Dunno when that might happen but would happily do more specific tests.

Soldato
Have you looked at any benchmarks outside of gaming for the 9900k?
I took a look at one comparison and it completes tasks like encoding, encryption and compression 100% faster stock for stock vs the 6700k. More in some cases, less in others. Overclocking each CPU keeps the gains for the 9900k.
I don't know how this translates to 3d rendering performance, but it seems far from impossible.
Yes it's twice as fast in those workloads because it has twice as many cores.

Soldato
well my 9900k was sent back to OCUK today for a full refund.
im going to wait and see what happens with EPIC or 3000 series amd.... ;) you know it makes sense.

Soldato
It's hardly surprising that you are limited to a lower all-core over clock if you want to stick to the 95w TDP. I find it hard to believe that there are still people who don't understand if you add more transistors, and run them faster you need more power, and generate more heat it's not that hard to grasp. Intel 7700K - 91w TDP - all core turbo at ~4.3GHz with HT, 9900K double the cores with a tiny refinement in process node rated at 95w but no all core turbo published. How can you take a 4-core CPU rated at 91w, then add another 4 cores and not expect to add another say 60-70% power draw from those 4 cores.

Back
Top Bottom