• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
I'm having temp issues i think

With it clocked at 5ghz i'm hitting 100c in prime95 small ftt and in blend i'm getting hardware failures but no bsod so i'm thinking the blend fail is more the fact gigabyte doesn't support my ram and xmp

I have the corsair aio 115i pro rgb and with all fans on full, pump on extreme i'll still hit 100c in small

To be honest an AIO is never the best cooling solution for these beasts, and I just don't get why people still torture there silicon with P95. What voltage are you pushing through your chip for 5ghz. ?

Associate
Using adaprive i had a couple of crashes during December.
I lowered the llc from turbo to high and upped the voltage a couple of notches. Getting the same load vcore. Not had a crash for 10 days. Fingers crossed.

My pc runs 24/7, the crashes were always when the pc had been idling for a couple of hours. I guess not quite enough V at the idle clocks.

Associate
Using adaprive i had a couple of crashes during December.
I lowered the llc from turbo to high and upped the voltage a couple of notches. Getting the same load vcore. Not had a crash for 10 days. Fingers crossed.

My pc runs 24/7, the crashes were always when the pc had been idling for a couple of hours. I guess not quite enough V at the idle clocks.
A Few others mentioned they had to do this over on the overclock.net forums. Theirs were Gigabyte boards iirc.

Soldato
Just had to return a 9900k to ocuk, upon opening discovered the seals were flimsy but to my shcok there was thermal paste/ marks on chip like post heating sink. I'm guessing it was some customers return. Just a word of warning

Associate
I had my old 4790K at 4.6GHz stable pretty much the same day I got it, it was that easy to overclock. I am struggling with this CPU now. I am using the NH-D14 cooler, which isn't too bad at keeping it cool. I've tried 5GHz at 1.30v and LLC to turbo/high, and a number of other combinations but it still crashes in Prime95 small FFTs. Is that still the best stability tester?

Also, if anyone has a 9900k and an Aorus Master and would like to send me barebones settings for 5GHz, that would be great :D

Associate
I had my old 4790K at 4.6GHz stable pretty much the same day I got it, it was that easy to overclock. I am struggling with this CPU now. I am using the NH-D14 cooler, which isn't too bad at keeping it cool. I've tried 5GHz at 1.30v and LLC to turbo/high, and a number of other combinations but it still crashes in Prime95 small FFTs. Is that still the best stability tester?

Also, if anyone has a 9900k and an Aorus Master and would like to send me barebones settings for 5GHz, that would be great :D

I’m having issues keeping this bad boy cool even with a 360 aio. I’m not used the Aorus board as always had gigabyte so I second the request for the settings :)

Last edited:
Associate

I posted a YouTube link a page or two back for Gigabyte users for overclocking settings.

Associate
Has anybody tried direct die cooling with or without the der8auer 9th gen OC frame? I've seen one example of direct bare die cooling on another forum but I don't recall anyone here mentioning it.

Or has anyone here delidded their 9900k and replaced the solder with liquid metal?

I have a replacement copper IHS (with larger surface area) and a die frame on the way so I am going to be trying both. I may even do some benches to compare:
  • stock
  • delidded and liquid metal
  • liquid metal and a larger IHS
  • Direct die with the der8auer die frame

I was originally planning to do this when needed to get the last few mhz out of the cpu, then (with the new ihs sitting there, tempting me) i was thinking of possibly doing it in the summer to reduce temps. Now with the release of the die frame I'm thinking of perhaps doing it sooner to take advantage of the cool winter weather and lower ambients.

In terms of temps I know the die frame should be the coolest, but i had ordered the replacement ihs long before the die frame was released. Since i have the opportunity to compare the various options I'm curious to see how much difference each approach offers. Time permitting ofc.

My 9900k runs cool and doesn't need delidding even at 5.2. This is purely for fun and (originally) as a way of getting extra performance if needed in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
picked up another sample from the members market, thanks @xtremedetailz its a beut, very quick test 5g screen below and also manages cinebench R15 5.4ghz @1.3v, lots more testing to do ;)Passed at 1.09v set but crashed a few seconds after taking screen.

I knew it was a good en mate, like i said golden sample ;)

Anyway im glad your happy mate and hope it serves you well.

Back
Top Bottom