• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9 9900k

Running my 9900k on a z390 master board, at stock all cores sit at 4.7 and under prime will pull 1.39v, if i ramp up to 5ghz across all cores im pulling 1.480v. Seems a tad high to me, this is with all voltage settings on auto on the board. Where should i start to try pulling those voltages down a bit? I'm slightly overwhelmed by the sub menus on the gigabyte z390 board..seems overcomplicated compared to my previous asus boards.

Running my 9900k on a z390 master board, at stock all cores sit at 4.7 and under prime will pull 1.39v, if i ramp up to 5ghz across all cores im pulling 1.480v. Seems a tad high to me, this is with all voltage settings on auto on the board. Where should i start to try pulling those voltages down a bit? I'm slightly overwhelmed by the sub menus on the gigabyte z390 board..seems overcomplicated compared to my previous asus boards.

Have a look on YouTube, quite a few Gigabyte Z390 Master overclocking guides on there, but using auto will always overvolt, for 5.0ghz I would start at 1.25v vcore, and run Cinebench, and work from there. 1.390v is way over the top for 4.7ghz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rY4TrcDXg

Have a look on YouTube, quite a few Gigabyte Z390 Master overclocking guides on there, but using auto will always overvolt, for 5.0ghz I would start at 1.25v vcore, and run Cinebench, and work from there. 1.390v is way over the top for 4.7ghz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rY4TrcDXg

Thanks for the reply, set to 1.25v @4.7 and my temps in cinebench have dropped to 65 from 79. Prime temps aren't even hitting 60. Now to get it stable at 5ghz.

Happy with my i5 8600k atm, would the price drop in a couple years? Then could pop one in my current board.
This isn't usually the case with the top cpu on an older intel platform.
Brand new the old cpus dont get reduced to clear and the second hand market prices are kept high because it's the best anyone wanting to stay on the same mobo can buy, so demand is high.
Typically the next best cpus, so 9700k/9600k, are the most affordable options second hand.

Then again, if there are more processors available for the socket in the future and the 9900k is no longer the top one, then yes, expect prices to fall.

So with that said, expect 8700k, 8086k possibly and 9700k to be the most reasonable upgrades second hand in a couple of years. 9900k is likely to still command a premium.

This isn't usually the case with the top cpu on an older intel platform.
Brand new the old cpus dont get reduced to clear and the second hand market prices are kept high because it's the best anyone wanting to stay on the same mobo can buy, so demand is high.
Typically the next best cpus, so 9700k/9600k, are the most affordable options second hand.

Then again, if there are more processors available for the socket in the future and the 9900k is no longer the top one, then yes, expect prices to fall.

So with that said, expect 8700k, 8086k possibly and 9700k to be the most reasonable upgrades second hand in a couple of years. 9900k is likely to still command a premium.

9900k is likely to still command a premium in a couple years. Considering what`s in the pipe or shall we say changes coming that would surprise me. Buyers of 9900k today are setting their self up for a big £££ hit when they come to sell S/H - upgrade.

9900k is likely to still command a premium in a couple years. Considering what`s in the pipe or shall we say changes coming that would surprise me. Buyers of 9900k today are setting their self up for a big £££ hit when they come to sell S/H - upgrade.

The price of the other CPUs that are the best you can buy on a particular socket has remained high in the past. That is regardless of how far on the various next generations of CPUs have moved.

There's some psychological thing about being able to keep your existing hardware and just upgrade the CPU to the best that a mobo supports that keeps people doing it.

I'm not pulling predictions out of thin air. You only need to look at the used market to see what I am saying is true. The last gasp CPU on each platform holds its value on the second hand market and those buying new don't get it at a reduced price either. Then there are the Amazon sales stats for CPUs that support z270 etc. People still buy them new and keep this keeps the prices higher than they would otherwise be.

I agree with what you are saying, and it should be the case that older tech loses value, especially when the new stuff offers so much more for less. But for the top tier CPU in an upgrade hierarchy that isn't the way it works. Even when tech has moved on several generations people cling to their old setups and buy drop in replacement parts. This keeps the prices of top end CPUs relatively high compared to other CPUs of the same socket.

I'm not saying the 9900k will be £400 in 2+ years. But in 2 years or more it is likely the 9900k will cost enough that it isn't worth buying because it would be cheaper to replace the entire system. And this is what the question was about.

On the upgrade section of this forum people often come in asking about the best cpu they can buy for their mobo, and are then shocked when they are told that they can buy an entire Ryzen system for close to or the same price as what they would pay for a cpu. Often they come in thinking that buying just the cpu would be cheaper and dont bother looking at replacing the whole system.

Been playing about with my 9900k/z390 master setup to try to reduce the vcore a bit. Chip sits comfortably at 4.7 out of the box and the only change i have made is to enable 3200mhz on the ram. At the moment vcore is on auto and i feel it is adding too much voltgage. At 1.275 my system can pass every stress test and performs fantastically while gaming, zero issues providing i apply the voltage settings and restart system from bios, But on a cold start it will blue screen at windows login. I have went as high as 1.390 and still it will bsod on login. Where else should i be looking to make adjustments?

Been playing about with my 9900k/z390 master setup to try to reduce the vcore a bit. Chip sits comfortably at 4.7 out of the box and the only change i have made is to enable 3200mhz on the ram. At the moment vcore is on auto and i feel it is adding too much voltgage. At 1.275 my system can pass every stress test and performs fantastically while gaming, zero issues providing i apply the voltage settings and restart system from bios, But on a cold start it will blue screen at windows login. I have went as high as 1.390 and still it will bsod on login. Where else should i be looking to make adjustments?

Set your vcore manually. Don’t let gigabyte especially do it for you. They are not good at it. LLC=turbo if you oc to 5.

Back
Top Bottom