• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Was before I sorted my ram etc , will do another run tomorrow, as I can near pull that score with 5gz
Ah okay. I'm not seeking proof or anything, i was just wondering why it was so different to the other scores i was seeing. If you know you can get it thats good enough for me.

I'd love to know what settings you changed in bios / what your OC process fom start to finish was. I'm going to be doing mine and i could use any extra info you could provide.

Associate
Whats the consensus on the Solder? Has it sorted out the temps?

Gamers nexus tested solder tim vs hydronaut under the ihs which should be better than whatever intel was using and found the solder TIM performed better than the hydronaut but not by much.
So vs a premium paste it isn't a huge improvement.

Der8auer delidded several and found that the die silicon is now thicker and as a result doesn't dissapate heat as effectively as it could. He reasoned that it was likely a thicker die was needed for the STIM to be effective. Also that thicker solder was needed after trying to resolder a chip with a thinner layer which didnt work.

He found that liquid metal, plus removing the solder and lapping the die to reduce its height results in considerable improvement in heat dissapation over the STIM implementation.

Reviews have been mixed on temps. Some people are seeing easy overclocks on standard cooling like air or aio coolers while others are seeing their chips run hotter than tindaloo fart, even with custom liquid loops.

All in all it seems like the STIM is better than the previous compound but not by a huge amount. If you get a poor chip then the extra cores make heat a real problem and overclocking a pita.
On the other hand, getting 5ghz on all cores without delidding, or even 5.1, 5.2 is possible with an aio. It really seems to depend on whether you win the silicon lottery or not.

For reference, gamersnexus hit 5.2 on a x62 kraken i believe, and when asked in the livestream if an x72 and 9900k should be able to hit 5ghz he said 'yes, should be trivial.'

All in all it's been a mixed bag of reviews showing that when overclocked and under unrealistic loads like stress testing the cpu is hot.

But because overclocking doesnt seem to be difficult for every sample I'm willing to bet the quality of the cpu plays a larger role than STIM in temps.

TLDR: It has improved things but the CPU can run hot depending on the load, clocks and quality of the silicon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems evident they had no choice but to use solder! CPU was probably catching fire when they tried to implement their previous TIM solution. I'm sure they'd like consumers to think they're offering a better product here, but truth is they couldn't have done anything other than solder, and their implementation of it isn't even that effective. Having to de-lid a soldered IHS to get good temps... jeez! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Agreed. No way would they have used solder TIM if they could have used regular TIM.

That said, not every 9 series is an inferno.

I don't know what's going on... has buying a CPU now become a lottery as to whether it runs crazy hot or not?? Or is it simply early batch issues? Unacceptable whatever is happening.

Associate
I don't know what's going on... has buying a CPU now become a lottery as to whether it runs crazy hot or not?? Or is it simply early batch issues? Unacceptable whatever is happening.
Buying a CPU has always been a lottery.

You go in hoping to win or at least get your moneys worth, but sometimes you lose. Seems like there were a few losers amongst the reviewers this time round, which is unusual.

Jayz2cents and gamersnexus had no difficulty hitting 5ghz. Called it easy.

Others saw crazy temps to get there it seems.

Back
Top Bottom