• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mobster
Soldato
The temps of the 9900k are no different and sometimes even better than the 8700k, yet with the 8700k there was no mention of heat issues.

Strange that.

Associate
I think it's good to know that delidding is an option, as well as what sort of improvement it offers.

I don't think it is needed for 5GHz all core. I doubt it is needed for 5.1 / 5.2 if you don't get a terrible chip. Gamersnexus managed that much without a delid on an aio.

It's only prime and intentionally stress testing that drives the temperature way up, so unless your daily workload is comparable or heavily uses AVX, things should be fine.

Of course no two CPUs are the same and the mobo, cooling and your workload will determine how much benefit a delid is to you.

As i said at the start tho, it's good info to have.

Soldato
The temps of the 9900k are no different and sometimes even better than the 8700k, yet with the 8700k there was no mention of heat issues.

Strange that.

No mention of heat issues on the 8700K?? It was practically essential to delid it if you were seriously overclocking.
I think it's good to know that delidding is an option, as well as what sort of improvement it offers.

It's an option, but hardly a desirable one. It's a far longer and more complex delid process than the 8700K etc., with greater risk of damaging the CPU, and ultimately all for very little gain.

Soldato

Strange that.
Sure there was, that's why delidding was a thing in the first place. Also i9-9xxx has 33% more cores producing heat.

Associate
Unless you want to competitively overclock for benchmark scores and are ok with potentially killing your hardware, there's no reason to delid this. It's like a 6C gain over the solder, not 20C like it was with the 8000 series' paste. In any scenario with air/water cooling including custom loops the stock solder does fine for the attainable frequencies (up to 5.2-5.3 or so). After that you're in extreme overclocking territory and not anything you can use 24/7, so go ahead and delid.

If it was a 15-20C gain I'd feel differently, but for 6C it's not worth dragging a razor blade over your CPU die and potentially killing it if you slip. Hell, for 6C it's not even worth voiding your warranty IMO. Sanding it down for another couple degrees is a whole extra degree of risk as well. If you go too deep or don't sand it perfectly flat relative to the package you're going to make things worse and potentially kill the CPU.

Soldato
In any scenario with air/water cooling including custom loops the stock solder does fine for the attainable frequencies (up to 5.2-5.3 or so).

From reviews, temps are getting very high at such high clocks. Arguably still within the limit of Intel's stated 115 TJ Max, but we're talking about running a CPU 100 degrees day in, day out. Now that may not bother some people, and in the chilly winter months it may even be appreciated, but long term, especially come summer...? Mmmm...

Associate
It depends on what's being done. Most of the really high temps shown in the reviews have been from AVX workloads. Overclocking capabilities obviously vary chip to chip, but from what I've seen it should be very possible for a custom loop to be able to keep you under 90C while gaming at frequencies above 5Ghz on all cores.

Soldato
It depends on what's being done. Most of the really high temps shown in the reviews have been from AVX workloads. Overclocking capabilities obviously vary chip to chip, but from what I've seen it should be very possible for a custom loop to be able to keep you under 90C while gaming at frequencies above 5Ghz on all cores.

Even if that's the case, and you're ONLY gaming, it depends at what resolution for any tangible benefit... and the cost of the CPU in the first place should be considered. It all begs the question 'why'... outside of the entirely frivolous 'want' response.

Caporegime
gaming will be 75c or less. so fine. who maxxes out cores 24/7 hate the stupid progs that do this and people swallow the temps up. use your pc as normal temps are fine.

Associate
At 5ghz, Im finding i can game with temps in the 50-60 range. Occt about 80. But with prime its 95 at 4.8.
Am i right in thinking that reviewers at 5.1-5.2 are not using prime at these speeds?
I ask because my temps are good for gaming and other stress tests. If i get good temps in those scenarios, would it mean i should get good temps for prime? Meaning that 5.2 reviews showing average temps in the 80's are not showing the temps their chip would reach at 5.1-5.2 prime? Maybe this is another reason why temps in some reviews have quite a difference between each other.

Soldato
From reviews, temps are getting very high at such high clocks. Arguably still within the limit of Intel's stated 115 TJ Max, but we're talking about running a CPU 100 degrees day in, day out. Now that may not bother some people, and in the chilly winter months it may even be appreciated, but long term, especially come summer...? Mmmm...

It depends if you have it running at the overclocked speed 24/7, I think its a tad point less running a cpu at the overclocked speed when idel. I have my 8086k at 4.9, but when its not doing much work or ideling, it will downclock its self all the way to 800mhz.

Mobster
Soldato
No mention of heat issues on the 8700K?? It was practically essential to delid it if you were seriously overclocking.

I hadn't realised, that's even better news then as the feedback on the 8700k has been positive and the 9900k is cooler. Win win, can't wait for mine to arrive.

Associate
Will these i9 chips last for a few years or are they going to die in a few months. I ask this beacuse of a few reasons, like the fact that they were rushed to get out without a lot sooner than expected.
Also they have packed 8 cores into a space only made for 4-6 cores like they have been making for mainstream for years.
Now they have done this they are getting so hot that a cheap cooler would melt.
Then there is the fact that intel have hit the 5ghz limit they have had for years, and this is why they have had to add cores in order to keep up.
As a result they are pushing the same chips to the limit each time they refresh for another so called new gen cpu.
The IPC is no better than my skylake 6600k its just running faster with more cores.
I have seen a 3770k hit 5.3ghz on a air cooler, ok it must have been a golden chip. But this was 6 gen's ago and still they only get around the same 5ghz or just over.
I will be buying a new cpu, motherboard, and possibly ram in the next year or 2.
But I'm not sure it will be from Intel now as they seem to be going nowhere with their old tech.
Does anyone know how the new 9900k will be for reliability?
There are already talks of some motherboards going over 95w and up to 150w of power limit to get the 9900k hitting 2000+ CB score
This is why some get hotter than others, that score 1700+ CB score.

Soldato
^ Ice Lake supposed to be sometime next year from Intel which might be a decent step up from current stuff. If not they have Ocean Cove which will supposedly be revolutionary, but that's probably 2-3 years away at least.

Associate
I'm just not sure what to do with my next upgrade, as I save hard for it and need it to last.
4 cores does me for now but for how long i'm not sure. I have 3 kids so money is not something I can be stupid with.
I guess I will have to wait as long as I can to see what the next best move would be for me.

Soldato
I'm just not sure what to do with my next upgrade, as I save hard for it and need it to last.
4 cores does me for now but for how long i'm not sure. I have 3 kids so money is not something I can be stupid with.
I guess I will have to wait as long as I can to see what the next best move would be for me.

Sounds like a Ryzen system is in the offing for you then. Grab a decent X470 board, fast RAM and a 2700X now and the 3000 series will be a drop in replacement next year, and probably the 4000 series a year after that.

Intel Z390 was DOA, the 9000 series are pretty much at every limit Intel have, and unless they go cap in hand to somebody like TSMC or Samsung to get them to make their chips instead, Intel's tech will hit a brick wall and shortages continue. Buy into Z390 and 9000 series and you literally have nowhere to go. The kit may last you a long time because for all its woes it's still beastly, but you can get similar performance for half the price with Ryzen AND you have an upgrade path until 2020.

I don't think there is much waiting for you to do.

Associate
Had another play this evening.
5ghz no offset
Tests for 1hr
Prime95 small tft: highest 85
Occt large: highest 62

Happy with these. Haven't tried higher. That's for next week. Now time to enjoy :)

Associate
Sounds like a Ryzen system is in the offing for you then. Grab a decent X470 board, fast RAM and a 2700X now and the 3000 series will be a drop in replacement next year, and probably the 4000 series a year after that.

Intel Z390 was DOA, the 9000 series are pretty much at every limit Intel have, and unless they go cap in hand to somebody like TSMC or Samsung to get them to make their chips instead, Intel's tech will hit a brick wall and shortages continue. Buy into Z390 and 9000 series and you literally have nowhere to go. The kit may last you a long time because for all its woes it's still beastly, but you can get similar performance for half the price with Ryzen AND you have an upgrade path until 2020.

I don't think there is much waiting for you to do.
Yes I think it's a no brainer when you take the fact of the AM4 support for the next few years. Dam why would I think of Intel when AMD is on my side LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom