• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Thanks. I just thought my NZXT AIO would be able to stop it throttling. It's not an air cooler. It's not a custom loop but damn!

What case are you using? AIO’s still need good airflow through the radiator, surface area wise they’re not that much greater than a big air cooler and certainly not big enough to passively cool a hot CPU.

If your case is sealed at the top (or one with those small slots on the side) the hot air will just bounce back. Have you tested the temperatures with the top panel off completely?

Associate
It is Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX. Yes, it is the one with the sealed top with tiny vents. There is a little vent in the back and I feel the hot air blowing out of there, so it's going somewhere, I guess a lot of it is just not making it out fast enough. Haven't tried with the panel off yet. Might be a good idea. Don't really want to run it with the top off but I imagine it makes a massive difference.

Associate
Yeah, I was getting max 90c AT 4.9GHz. I am thinking, either increase the TDP to 115c to stop throttling and accept insane temps, or role back to 4.9GHz. I have seen max of 2% throttling and the current TDP should keep me from going over 100c. Not that I want to be up that high anyway, but if it continued to work I could leave it where it is. I dno how long it might last though!

Have you tried re-seating the block on your cpu, I find that AIO's tend to have too much TIM on the block, well the one I used on my Wife's computer did.

Associate
IMG_20170717_152923.thumb.jpg.3c90e1b53086291fed0a58cde878c417.jpg

Think I should mod the top panel, like this guy. Says it shaved off 10c :)

Associate
The finish shouldn't rub off. I've wiped mine several times without a problem. Sure there weren't any chemicals on the cloth? Aura should let you adjust the brightness, mine appears to be bright enough. Although I prefer things to be relatively subtle.

100% positive. You can see the same in this photo from the overclock3d review if you look at the mirror finish on the waterblock (above the cpu socket). It looks like a black smudge but is actually a problem with the mirror finish. Mine arrived looking similar to that (black mark) and i thought it would rub off. Nope, a gentle light polish with the aforementioned soft cloth and no chemicals only made it worse.

05091916695l.JPG

Soldato
100% positive. You can see the same in this photo from the overclock3d review if you look at the mirror finish on the waterblock (above the cpu socket). It looks like a black smudge but is actually a problem with the mirror finish. Mine arrived looking similar to that (black mark) and i thought it would rub off. Nope, a gentle light polish with the aforementioned soft cloth and no chemicals only made it worse.

05091916695l.JPG

Odd. Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm working for ROG now so I'll be sure to pass the comments on.

Associate
How are you guys overclocking you 9900k's?

I've assembled my bundle outside of a case to test and I think I've got a decent sample which does 5.1 all core @1.32v. (Seems to be a good tray batch you got @Gibbo )
It will also do 4 cores 5.3 at the same volts.

With these higher core count chips do you guys adjust frequency to suit your use case scenario? Most things I do use 1-6 cores, but I do 3D render sometimes which pegs all 8 at 100%.

Currently undecided, as I don't really notice a difference in normal usage (beyond a FPS counter) and might just bump everything back to 5.0ghz for near silence.

Associate
My 9900k unexpectedly arrived from the river folk. Only issue I see is having a Dark Rock 4 air cooler. The board should be fine: Auros Pro Z390.

Replacing a 8086k.

OcUK Staff
How are you guys overclocking you 9900k's?

I've assembled my bundle outside of a case to test and I think I've got a decent sample which does 5.1 all core @1.32v. (Seems to be a good tray batch you got @Gibbo )
It will also do 4 cores 5.3 at the same volts.

With these higher core count chips do you guys adjust frequency to suit your use case scenario? Most things I do use 1-6 cores, but I do 3D render sometimes which pegs all 8 at 100%.

Currently undecided, as I don't really notice a difference in normal usage (beyond a FPS counter) and might just bump everything back to 5.0ghz for near silence.

Yes seen a lot of users getting very good overclocks from our tray stock. :)

Back
Top Bottom