Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
No need to apologise you took the time to read my lengthy post.
When you say seek a professional who would be best to see? It doesn't feel like a muscle strain, I can pick the spot on my back where it is tender and it is bang on a vertebrae. What are my options;
A chiro - From previous experience seem more about manipulation than actual program to help
Physio - Can form a plan to help me build the muscles/stretch in the correct manner
Drs - To see what they say and to maybe be passed on for a scan or on to a physio.

After every gym session I make sure to do some stretches a physio gave me a while back with regards to hip flexors and tight ham strings.

I will watch those videos when I get a moment thanks for the links.

Associate
An osteo might be a good place to start, might just be my experience from my own but he is quite well-rounded. The problem with most practitioners is that many don't come from a sporting back ground, or at least their knowledge doesn't, because of this it might take a little trial and error to find the right person, which is one benefit to not going NHS because that usually leads to a bit of a wait. If it is a single vertebra that points towards there being more merit seeing a doctor since, as you say, it probably isn't a muscular thing and therefore might be more serious, but you will have to make a judgement call on what advice they give you and on any referrals eg. you may want to get your own physio or whatever.

Just as a long shot, do you mind me asking where-a-bouts you live?

Soldato
A physio I see before had a back ground in sport and dealt with rugby club and a few other teams so if I need a physio I am happy to see him just not sure it is muscular. Think I will book an appointment at the doctors anyway as that won't cost me anything and then I can see what they say and my next move.

I live in Swindon.

Man of Honour
OP
How would you feel about a trip to Oxford? The guy (wizard) who me and Dom see works out of LA Fitness in the centre. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Associate
Just in case you or any others reading this want any references for good physio type people.

This guy is awesome:
http://www.joncookephysiotherapy.co.uk/index.php

He was the physio for arsenal for 7 years! But obviously he isn't very close to you, and not the cheapest. It would probably be worth the visit if you could justify the 1hr+ drive :).

I live in Oxford and my go-to guy is an osteo/physio/magician who works out of a local LA fitness. You are guaranteed a good session with this guy, but if you were interested I would have to put you in contact with him directly so probably best not to put his personal details on the interwebs :).

I hope you get somewhere with this and that the outcome is a good one. Keep us updated!

Edit: ^wizard

Soldato
Oxford isn't to far away from me really. It would depend on cost and outcome though as constant trips to Oxford would prove more expensive. My sisters friend told her to see an Osteopath a little while ago and she is going to get me the number of someone she recommended and I shall check them out. Never been to one before so it will be eye opening experience at least.

Think my problem has really been that I have left these little things at the time build up and build up and my body is getting to the point where it has almost had enough.
I am going to check out those videos now cheers Djdom56.

Man of Honour
Recovering back pain person here.

After two years of chronic severe L1-3 pain, I finally went to see a doctor, who was very nice but just gave me painkillers (having ruled out a seriously unpleasant diagnosis of bamboo spine).

I started my current job who have a Core Cambridge (elite sports coaching/rehab) physio on-site most days, and they realised I spent not of my teenage+ life with a poorly controlled core and a downward tilt to my pelvis as a result. Coupled with some instability in the muscles and a few other quirks, the treatment plan was...

Squats. Lots of squats. And Olympic lifting. I kid you not: it was the physio who suggested I start learning the clean and proper squat technique.

And strangely enough, my back pain has gone. I now wake up every day not wanting to die from the agony and inability to pick stuff up from the floor.

Go see a decent physio: they are worth their weight in Higgs bosons.

Man of Honour
OP
Oxford isn't to far away from me really. It would depend on cost and outcome though as constant trips to Oxford would prove more expensive. My sisters friend told her to see an Osteopath a little while ago and she is going to get me the number of someone she recommended and I shall check them out. Never been to one before so it will be eye opening experience at least.

Think my problem has really been that I have left these little things at the time build up and build up and my body is getting to the point where it has almost had enough.
I am going to check out those videos now cheers Djdom56.
He charges £40 a session, and he'll be able to tell you how many he thinks you'll need if/when you see him.
Icecold get your stupid rollers down to Bristol tomorrow and bring cheese and wine.
You know how to woo a man.

Soldato
That is how mine feels at times Delvis, like right now and has for most of the day. It aches a lot and just feels like it all needs cracking to relieve the pressure.

I have booked an Osteopath for Monday not to far from my house at all and only £20 a session. However it is for students but they are over seen by tutors etc.. If I could wait until the 11th of December I would have got 1 free session and 4 after as a thank you as it is their exam time. Unfortunately it is hurting/aching so bad I can't really wait that long.

I watched the first of those videos as well yesterday some of that I already knew but the hardest part is forcing yourself into the correct positions whilst at a computer as you just fall in to the same habits of old.

I am going to purchase one of those spiky balls from Amazon to use on my shoulders/pec area though and I have a foam roller already which I use for glutes/hamstrings. Considering buying some latex exercise bands to work some external rotations, good idea? I will get around to watching the rest of them over the next few days thanks for links.

Man of Honour
OP
I presume it's not normal to make my back feel better by twisting my torso to the extreme on one side? :o

:p
It could be completely normal! Impossible to say without knowing what exactly is going on, and that's above my knowledge level.
I have booked an Osteopath for Monday not to far from my house at all and only £20 a session. However it is for students but they are over seen by tutors etc.. If I could wait until the 11th of December I would have got 1 free session and 4 after as a thank you as it is their exam time. Unfortunately it is hurting/aching so bad I can't really wait that long.
That is pretty cheap, but you wouldn't catch me letting anyone who I didn't have complete faith in performing any kind of therapy.

Soldato
Well from my understanding not all of the students do the hands on work and it is those in the latter years of study. The place got recommended by a friend of my sister who has been going for a while so it is worth checking out.

Man of Honour
When this thread first came up it was pretty daunting, there's a lot of info right off the bat and I was definitely put off the mobility thing because - from this thread at at least - it seemed so inaccessible. I'll admit, I didn't do much looking in to it myself, I just looked at the videos in the OP and some further discussion and decided I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, so couldn't really be bothered to go any further with it.

Since then I've found that the MWOD daily videos actually start at an incredibly basic and accessible level, I could really have done with knowing this before as for me it seems to be a really easy way of hearing some good advice and having some of the things that are being discussed here demonstrated in real life on video. He breaks it down really simply, I had no idea it started off this way. If anyone's reading this thread thinking "Oh jesus, I know my squat form is ****ed and my shoulders are rubbish but this whole mobility thing is just meh/cbfa" don't be so scared, I'd suggest starting at the very beginning of those MWOD videos and going from there.

I'm aware this has probably been discussed to death, and no I haven't really read most of the thread. As you can probably work out, I couldn't be arsed :p

Man of Honour
OP
Zefan, that's great advice. I've said that it's best to start with the first videos and work through before, but possibly not in this thread and certainly not in an obvious place for the casual reader.

At some stage I'll tidy up the OP and include some more detailed general guidance.

Associate
During a deadlift about 5 weeks a go now I felt something twinge quite bad across the bottom of my back, this in turn went to my left glute after a day and down my hamstring, this went off a bit until I did some digging...
I thought it was a torn glute at first but reading up I believe it may be sciatica.

Any tips for this, it's been a good 5 weeks now :(

I have just ordered a rumble roller (blue) and a massage ball

Slipperz

Back
Top Bottom