Icecold's mobility thread

Man of Honour
OP
No, ice treatment is a bad idea. See recent posts in the gymrats thread.

There is no direct treatment that I know of for the patella tendon, the approach I would take would be to correct the movement faults that are the inevitable cause of the problem. I obviously can't do that without videos of you moving :)

Caporegime
Ah, forgot to mention.

Squats: my wrist/s tend to hurt after low-bar squat, due to the angle they're sitting at, I presume this is because my elbow are 'too far' behind my back/head if you get what I mean?

Would there be anything I can work on? Things like the bully stretch? Or is that completely unrelated? :)

Man of Honour
OP
Ah, forgot to mention.

Squats: my wrist/s tend to hurt after low-bar squat, due to the angle they're sitting at, I presume this is because my elbow are 'too far' behind my back/head if you get what I mean?

Would there be anything I can work on? Things like the bully stretch? Or is that completely unrelated? :)
Almost right!

Try the shoulder external rotation stretches on the first page. Dislocations will help, but your external rotation is what is directly limiting you.

Caporegime
Almost right!

Try the shoulder external rotation stretches on the first page. Dislocations will help, but your external rotation is what is directly limiting you.

So for clarification, what does the bully stretch actually work? Internal rotation?

It just feels like the weight is sitting on my wrists and bending them back basically

Associate
Dealing with flat feet/collapsed arches/over pronation

This is a pretty common problem, but if you don't address it, it's quite likely for this to cause lower back and knee problems. Not to mention it completely compromising your athletic performance.

Just playing devils advocate here about the importance of correcting overpronation. This is Haille Gebrselassie when he set the world record for the marathon in Berlin in 2008. As you can see his overpronation is horrendous and yet his has widely been considered as one of if not the best long distance runner of all time and his career has been relatively free of injury.

Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
OP
I think there will always be exceptions to the rule. I know a guy who does lots of marathons and is flat footed... thank the lord for compensatory running shoes ;)

There is surely no one who can look at that and think that it's any where near optimal. Haille is clearly strong enough in the right places to get away with it, but that doesn't mean that the majority of other people aren't putting themselves at risk and/or sacrificing performance. It frustrates me that people assert otherwise, similarly with "yeah but that guy deadlifts with a rounded back".

The author of that video seems like a bit of a berk. "Look how strong his core and hips are", sure, but when most of the impact is absorbed in his foot and ankle there isn't much for the rest of the system to deal with. In the comments he also says that Haille had surgery on his achilles, which, well, you know...

Associate
One achilles op in 39 years isn't bad at all, I'm just suprised that with that amount of overpronation that he has never ruptured his tib post (s) especially considering the pounding they distance he must have covered in his life.

With regards to what the author said about core, glute med strength is thought to be extremely important, for absorbing impact during walking/running but also to resist internal rotation of the hip eccentrically (which would lead to internal tibial rotation and then overpronation) not only during walking but knee bends/squats etc.. So glute med strengthening is seen as a top-down approach to corecting overpronation wheras insoles, corrective footwear is a bottom-up approach. Despite this in this video even if his glute med was strong its not stopping the overpronation. But if his tib posts are ridiculously strong and his glute med then masses of impact andtorsion are taken out of the equation straight away.

Personally I don't think its as black and white as should we allow it or [try to ] correct it. However, in the general population, if there is associated valgus at the knees during knee bends then you certainly need to start looking at what is weak and what is tight.

Associate
Thanks icecold!! Been doing all that :) Now for the sore knee, the patella, how to sort that??
As icecold has advised correcting your overpronation and any associated rolling in of the knees is a good place to start for anterior knee pain.

Unfortunately there are shed loads of different causes of pain at the front of the knee that can all come on gradually or without an acute injury.

Here's some examples:
Patella tendinopathies (used to be called tendinitis) aka jumpers knee.
Infra patella, pre patella, Supra Patella and/or Pes Anserinus Bursitis.
Infra Patella fat pad impingement (Hoffa's disease).
Chonromalacia Patella
Patellofemoral OA
Osgood Schlatters disease
Sinding-Larsen Johansson disease
or good old-fashioned patella femoral maltracking

As icecold said, Improving biomechanics and technique correction are important in pretty much all of these. As well as making sure the toes, ankles, calves, ITB, quads and [less importantly] hamstrings are not tight, strengthening of the tib post (i.e. skipping - as featured in one of the vids linked to above) strengthening the quads (ie 1 leg or 2 leg squats but alignment and technique is paramount here -WITH KNEE BENDING OVER THE FOOT IN LINE WITH THE GAP BETWEEN 2nd AND 3rd TOES) and strengthening the Glute Med are equally important and will address the most common problems .

Unfortunately its impossible to give any more specific tailored advice without propper asessment of all potential contributing factors.

There is no direct treatment that I know of for the patella tendon...

Interestingly enough, if the pain was from patella tendinopathy, the best treatment hands down is hardcore squatting into pain!:D (well nearly, its eccentric, weighted, 1 leg squats to 60degrees on a decline board (google alfredson eccentric patella for more info))

Associate
Ice, forgive me if this stretch is featured in one of Kellys Vids and I missed it but an alternative to the Bully stretch is this:

Sleeper Stretch

I tend to favour this stretch due to a couple of reasons:

Laying on the scapula means the client doesn't have to worry about stabilising it as body weight is doing it for them so the stretch is targeted more to the posterior capsule.
The Bully stretch has an extension component to it which forces the humeral head forwards in the joint which at best makes it very hard to stretch the posterior capsule fully.

My advice would be that when doing the Bully Stretch remember that it is designed to stretch the back of the capsule. If you feel it stretching at the back of the shoulder then great, if you are feeling it more at the front then you are stressing the anterior capsule more so check your technique, or instead try the sleeper stretch.

Man of Honour
OP
Very interesting and great posts!

In my early teens I was diagnosed with Chonromalacia Patella AND Osgood Schlatters disease in both knees, fun stuff! If only I knew then what I do now...

The sleeper stretch is part of Defranco's upper body mobility series, and it's really good.

You can modify the bully stretch with bands distracting the shoulder posterioally (??!), and it's all useful stuff. By playing around with all of these things you quickly identify where your personally limitations are.

Back
Top Bottom