Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
Current mobby problem - want to front squat, find rack position hard (collarbone crushing fail). Resting on delts looks easy when you have boulder shoulders. Oh well, work on dat rotation etc.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
NOICE.

I can get my right arm (eventually) to touch the floor while on my back, hurts though and requires a fair whack of time. Laying on my side however....Lord have mercy.

Caporegime
Adductor stretches, noice.

Roll them (hump the roller basically)
Russian baby makers may help? Otherwise sit in a ATG squat and push knees out.
Or possibly something like this

There is a better video somewhere on how to do the above one a bit more aggressively. If you've actually strained it though I'd hold off before doing anything :p

Soldato
Yeah I do the stretch above and the Russian baby makers, I guess I just need to do them everyday for a few weeks and see how it feels.

No i don't think its strained, as I haven't squatted for a week and was still painful doing squats again last night.

Going to try the superfrogs too, looks dodgy :D

Its my bad leg too, the one full of metal so it always has plenty of problems :p

Soldato
There is a safer way to do the internal rotation stretch mentioned above. Think it involves a lacrosse ball in the back of the shoulder with the arm pulled across the body. Might be for something else though...

Man of Honour
I do up and down all the time... :confused:

But then, I don't have Kstar's book, and I treat his as one opinion of many.

Whatever woeks to achieve my goals, rather than a fixed philosophy/approach.

Man of Honour
OP
Work on both ends (proximal quad/hip flexor, distal quad) of the couch stretch separately and then put them together. Forcing the position before you can, for example, maintain lumbar position won't really help you in the long run.

Kelly isn't against smashing parallel to muscle fibres, he just wants people to be aware of the efficacy of doing it perpendicularly too.

Whilst it's always good to question things and keep an open mind, Kelly is currently one of the most well rounded and knowledgeable guys in the world when it comes to mobility/fixing yo ****. If he says something, it's always good to understand why he's saying it.

Man of Honour
OP
There is a video where Kelly talks about what I'm suggesting. Essentially, doing the lunge portion of the couch stretch without your knee flexed is a good way to kit the high (proximal) quad and hip flexor bits, and working on a similar position with less hip extension and working on knee flexion is a good way to hit lower quad around your knee.

Associate
Whenever you can ultimately. It can be done briefly as part of a warm up but this won't have a very big affect in terms of improving tissue quality. If you are aiming to solve tissue related problems by doing soft tissue work then it is best left until you are away from training, when exactly that is doesn't matter too much, however there is some research pointing towards soft tissue work releasing certain chemicals in the body that are linked with winding down and relaxation so some people say it should be done in the evening before bed.

I still vote whenever is possible for you but just be aware it will change its effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom