Icecold's mobility thread

Man of Honour
This is the mobility work I do now before sessions:

upper body mobility:
IT Band (I need to do this even with upper body - so tight)
Hip Flexors
Glutes (piriformis)
Thoracic Spine
Shoulder (Infraspinatus)
Pecs
Lats

All the above with foam roller or hard ball

Shoulder disolacations (use a band for this)
Pec mobilisations
Scapula push ups
Scaupla wall slides
Bent over YTWs
Thoracic extensions
Divebomber push ups
clap push ups

Lower body:

IT Band
Glutes
Hip Flexors
Thoracic spine
Adductors

All the above with foam roller

Fire Hydrants clockwise and anticlockwise
Mountain climbers
Thoracic extensions
Squat to Stand
Lateral squats
Wall squats
Bridges
Medicine ball slams

Caporegime
@Freefaller

Must spend an hour doing that before the weights session :p

Slacked off some of my usual mobility things. I did these the other day before squats:

Certainly some tightness there so will keep doing them.

I usually ram a ball in to my scapular as this always seems to get some knots in it

Man of Honour
OP
Excellent warm ups FF! I'd recommend "no-money"s in that mix too. It turns out the IT band is something that's always going to hurt when you roll it, and eventually it won't get any looser on it's own. Try giving your TFL a hammering, that with general hammy/quad soft tissue work will see the whole system working better.

Found a mostly relevant video:
Do what he's doing to his VMO to the lateral insertions of the quad too.

welshdragon:
Good news about the foot. Do the ankle/knee rehab exercise I posted a couple of posts up anyway, it's important to build some stability. In terms of working out a stretching/mobility routine, decide you're going to dedicate x amount of minutes per day/every other day and start at your knee and work out. By the end of that you'll know yourself where you're tight and be able to work on it.

Delvis:
How to know if you've got a dropped arch? Diagnosis goes like this:

Do you have a dropped arch? Yes? Ok then.

;)

http://www.painfreewalking.co.uk/flat-feet-overpronation.html - ignor any advice given here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_feet

Caporegime
There is a small side of me that relishes the looks I get when doing ridiculous mobility stuff :D

Haha, yeah true.

Thanks for the links, will look shortly

EDIT: Well, my right foot has the pointing in thing I think...:(

Probably just screwed, doesn't helped the fact that I used to wear flat soled shoes for most of my life, and still do really

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I've posted stuff here I'm sure... search for pronation or collapsed foot or something.

If you don't find anything I'll give you something later.

Associate
I get pain when I'm climbing and have to bridge, if you don't climb think standing up and doing the splits if you're in a corner.
The sort of move the climber is doing below:
bridge.jpg

The pain isn't on the inside but just on the outside. From my reading I think its the TFL muscle. They used to be very tight around there when my sports pyhsio was giving me massages.
Does any one know of good stretches for my hips?

Last edited:
Associate
Finding them shoulder mobility movements on the first page of particular use as I have extremely bad posture and I have started to notice it in bench press exercises. Thanks for the info Icecold!

Man of Honour
OP
Glad you're finding it useful :)

fire_munki, try simply doing some soft tissue work on your TFL. So roll around on a lacrosse ball or on a foam roller. Then try some of the stretches that have already been posted for your anterior hip.

Back
Top Bottom