Icecold's mobility thread

Associate
Icecold, I've been having trouble recently with shoulder stability on my seated DB press. I'm all over the place when pushing the weight up, even on relatively low weights.

Is it possible that this could be a mobility issue? If it is, any suggestions on how to help remedy it?

Man of Honour
OP
LiE, yes, I showed that to someone on here a couple of weeks ago because a friend of mine has one. Don't remember if the person got it though.

DA, it could be a few things. Most likely, you have week shoulders. Reduce the weight and take things more slowly, making sure you use a full ROM with proper form (back against backrest with no arch).

Alternatively, something could be tight or not working properly and pulling you out of the groove.

Associate
Thanks Ice, you're probably right about the weakness of my shoulders. Is there anything to be gained from maybe using the machine instead/as well as for awhile, or should I just stick with the DB free weights?!

Also, I've recently started to jog up the Wrekin and have been suffering with quite debilitating pain in the sides of my lower legs and my hammies, is this something that could be eased by doing some soft tissue work? I don't normally get any pain when I train legs, but this was torture almost!

Man of Honour
OP
Yep, soft tissue work is great for DOMS.

Stick with DBs, if you're unstable the last thing you want to do is stop your body having to adapt by removing the unstable stimulus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm interested to see if anyone has bought the bands and has noticed a different with/without them.

I've got ridiculously tight hamstrings/calfs to the point that the hams pull on my pelvis and rotate it round giving me lower back ache, I can only raise my leg to about 25-30 degrees up toward horizontal and if I got running i very quickly suffer from tighting of the muscles causing my legs to go numb.

I'm wondering if these kind of stretches would help with this? Ice any tips?

Man of Honour
OP
Yes these stretches help with that, and yes the bands are useful. You need to do them regularly for it to be worthwhile though.

Man of Honour
OP
Kelly, talk to me about corners of ankles... YES!

Been doing that already actually, as well as posterior band distraction on ankle and flossing into the restricted position (i.e. NOT what Pat was saying).

Man of Honour
OP
Not exactly, but he was saying that resting my foot on something while sitting with the weight on my heal could have caused posterior translation of the shin bones relative to my foot. Kelly also talks about this, so I assumed that's what was going on. Turns out that this isn't my problem.

Associate
Well that's nice at least. It makes sense that people do that a lot when they shouldn't because it just seems like an obvious fix. Definitely something to take for the future.

Back
Top Bottom