Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Man of Honour
I'm just glad things worked out yesterday else I'd be in Edinburgh with no idea on when I can get home!

You'd have to let the train take the strain I guess. Despite that being a slow option it'd be far quicker than waiting for the ash to clear.

The situation is apparently unlikely to change for the foreseeable future. I don't know how long the foreseeable future is, but my guess is days, so take that as you see it.

Caporegime
I was on a flight to Edinburgh yesterday morning, returned from there to Heathrow at 10pm~ - my initial flight was delayed so I managed to wriggle on to an earlier flight back.

I'm just glad things worked out yesterday else I'd be in Edinburgh with no idea on when I can get home!

You could have always... taken the train...:p

On that note I'm heading there on tuesday and if the grounding carries on it could be quite difficult getting train tickets. :(

Caporegime
You'd have to let the train take the strain I guess. Despite that being a slow option it'd be far quicker than waiting for the ash to clear.

The situation is apparently unlikely to change for the foreseeable future. I don't know how long the foreseeable future is, but my guess is days, so take that as you see it.

4 and a half hours to London, with check in I'd suggest it definately wouldn't be longer.;)

EDIT: However obviously the trains are worse so it's better if everybody stayed off them on tuesday and Wednesday... ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
my dad was due to arrive at LHR T3 tonight from Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific but i have no idea if he will still be landing tonight... he is supposed to arrive at 9pm, but just checked the CP website and it says estimated arrival is 1.35am. i also checked the BAA website and it says the flight is cancelled :eek:

i tried calling all the telephone numbers i found on both websites but i can't get through. i really want to know where my dad is and whether he will be back in time to celebrate my birthday with me tomorrow :(

does anyone know of any phone numbers which i can call to check flight statuses or even for the airport? (numbers that are not listed on their websites?)

i don't see why flights from Asia should be cancelled though... as its no where near Iceland right?!? :confused:

Soldato
I watched an Air Crash Investigation episode recently where a plane flew through a volcano eruption and all the engines failed. But they didn't know until later what had happened. It's a good episode, look out for it.

Man of Honour
my dad was due to arrive at LHR T3 tonight from Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific but i have no idea if he will still be landing tonight... he is supposed to arrive at 9pm, but just checked the CP website and it says estimated arrival is 1.35am. i also checked the BAA website and it says the flight is cancelled :eek:

Suffice to say it won't be arriving at LHR any time soon. Probably cancelled, but at the very best it'll have been diverted somewhere in Europe (possibly Paris CDG if it's still open). Hope you get an answer soon.

Dread to think what this will do to the air freight business. Expect a rush on fresh fruit and veg imminently. :/

Soldato

i tried calling all the telephone numbers i found on both websites but i can't get through. i really want to know where my dad is and whether he will be back in time to celebrate my birthday with me tomorrow :(

does anyone know of any phone numbers which i can call to check flight statuses or even for the airport? (numbers that are not listed on their websites?)

i don't see why flights from Asia should be cancelled though... as its no where near Iceland right?!? :confused:
They still have to fly in UK airspace which is in the cloud :facepalm:

He has probably either been diverted or is still in hong kong

Soldato
Suffice to say it won't be arriving at LHR any time soon. Probably cancelled, but at the very best it'll have been diverted somewhere in Europe (possibly Paris CDG if it's still open). Hope you get an answer soon.

Dread to think what this will do to the air freight business. Expect a rush on fresh fruit and veg imminently. :/

2 main Paris airports closed and 24 others in France as per http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35867&posts=356#M534223

Back
Top Bottom